Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Boiler God

Default 14" Milwaukee Dry Cut saw

As I have posted before, that I just bought a Wilton 3410 band saw, but I also use a Milwaukee model #6190-20 dry cut saw. The saw is a 14", carbide bladed chop saw, very similar to the abrasive chop saws sold by many manufacturers, it has a quick release vise, and an adjustable vise assembly to allow angle cuts up to 50 degrees. It has a cut capacity of about 5" on squares and 5 1/2" in round stock. The blade is a 14", 72 toothed carbide blade with a 1" arbor hole, and is capable of being resharpened, and produces a very clean straight cut. The motor is 115 volt, 15 amp, 1500 rpm. The saw is about $475 and replacement blades are about $100 from Milwaukee, but are available from other suppliers from about $65 and up, I paid about $25 from the LWS to have the blade resharpened, that included a tooth replacement. The only real negitive aspect of the saw is it throws lots of little metal chips everywhere, and they are hot. A great saw, since I bought this I haven't used the Milwaukee abrasive saw I have.

Jack

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192151_192137
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14 milwaukee chop saw 001.JPG
Views:	728
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	28942   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 milwaukee chop saw 003.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	28943   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 milwaukee chop saw 004.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	28944   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 milwaukee chop saw 005.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	28945   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 milwaukee chop saw 006.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	28946  

Old 02-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Blankee Master

Yup, I had the Mikita version of the same saw. I just don't get along with those type saws, back to abrasive type units. Good luck with yours.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Blankee Master

I did buy the handheld metal cutting saw though, much like a skilsaw, we use it alot on sheet aluminum and works very well. Has a collector for the alum filings.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Below Wholesale

The vise looks much better designed than the one on my dewalt multicutter. Is the stand a Milwaukee option?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Boiler God

Cavalry,

The stand is a discontinued Harbor Freight equipment stand, it had a solid steel top, one piece legs, with a heavy gauge shelf, when assembled it was very rigid. They stopped selling it, the replacement is a total POS, it basicly small chunks of light gauge of angle iron, the legs are two piece, the top is open, and there is no longer a shelf, and has all the rigidity of a wet cardboard box. They also stopped selling the box type grinder base, with a solid top and 3 shelves,, now all they sell is the cheap one with the a 3" post and cheap cast top and base. Its getting harder to buy stuff from HF.

Jack
Old 02-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Tender Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big rig guy View Post
Yup, I had the Mikita version of the same saw. I just don't get along with those type saws, back to abrasive type units. Good luck with yours.
what was the problem?
Jack, that was a good write up. If I get one it will be either the makita or the Milwaukee. I did not like the dewalts mulit-cutter; it looked cheap. As for the blade on the milwaukee, it looks almost like a wood blade, the makita blade looks different. So I was wondering if the makita blade is a little better. As far as the blade on the milwaukee, do you really get 1200-2000 cuts per blade?

-Ryan

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Boiler God

I bought the Milwaukee because it was 14" vs 12" for the Makita. I use it a lot, if you follow the cutting suggestions, the blade last a long time, if you jab it into the work, try to cut too fast, or a lot of wide flat surfaces, then the blade will dull quickly. The cut quality is great (look at the 3rd picture of the original post), straight, clean, almost a knife edge, and far less mess than an abrasive saw. The fact there is no cloud of dust and smoke to me is worth the price.

Jack
Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 PM

I took on a job a few years ago for an old time customer that had just built a new very large pet food warehouse that the racking didnt have a place to set pallets on the bottom tier only on the floor. After a few months of operation and a bunch of broken sacks of pet food down in amonsct the hundreds of pallets on the floor the place was over run with rats and mice. So anyhow the owner is showing me the job that is going to end up taking 140,000# of 4"-7.25# channel and we come across his maintanance man as he is showing me the job he says this is so and so and he will cut all the pieces so you only have to do the welding. Anyhow I show up with a helper to do the fitting up the first day and give the maintanance man the first measurement he lights a cutting torch cuts the piece gets out a grinder starts grinding the dross as Im standing there thinking WTF thats when I sent the helper to the LWS for an Evolution 14" chop saw style cold cut saw and blades. We made over 2000 cuts using 16 blades at $89.95 each. Charged the saw and blades out to the customer.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 PM

I have a Dewalt multi cutter have not used it that much but it does a good job.
It does throw metall chips and it is extremely noisey but I can tolerate the chips and the noise. I cannot tolerate all the sparks or a abrasive saw.
Slim
Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Director of Languages

nice machine.

I have an evolution mitre saw which is the same principle.

I cant decide which is worse, the sparks from a chopsaw, or the chips from the evolution. but i certainly dont miss the dust, and the cuts are spotless.

met a friend on friday who does stainless fabrication, had spent the day using the JF saw (a circular saw type one) and his sleeve had loads of stainless shards basically melted into the fleece.

they're damm hot little things.

14 inches, damm now i've got saw envy cos mine's only 10