Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:

Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 AM

Default Auto Darkening Helmet from Northern tools.

I literally just started welding today. Bro gave me a cheapy AC/DC stick welder from harbor freight.

I bought this helmet from Northern Tool & Equipment. I can't compare to other auto darkening helmets but for 50 dollars, this was amazing for me trying to learn to strike an arc.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1850_200311850

I'll admit i peeled the decals off though, didn't care much for those, but other then that, I will say it is amazing.

Also wanted to add that after just today I gotta say welding is an Art. I can tell it can take an incredible amount of skill to get it looking good. Hats off to you folks.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:05 AM
Twice the size--half the man

Welcome to the site, thanks for the location.

(it's another Texan for y'all that didn't notice )

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Director of Product Reviews

Welcome to the forum Mangloid! I have that helmet as well and it has held -up well for 1 1/2 years. I just looked at the Northern website review area for this helmet and there are 104 out of 105 reviews that say they would recommend this to someone else. I guess we aren't the only ones that like it.

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Also wanted to add that after just today I gotta say welding is an Art. I can tell it can take an incredible amount of skill to get it looking good. Hats off to you folks.
Welcome to the forum Mangl', fill the cup with coffee, pull up a chair and read and search to your hearts content. Lots of good and easy to follow information to be found here. We do have our moments, but usually, ok sometimes, well, every once in a while, if the subject starts about welding, it may end with welding, sometimes.

One things for sure, if your learning to weld on what you have, you will find how much you have learned and improved once you get the chance to lay hands on something a bit more main stream.

Most of those smaller welders make it extremely hard/difficult to start and maintain an arc, so what you learn today will help in the future if you decide to upgrade to something better. And you probably will if we have any impact on you.

Have some fun and enjoy your new helmet and welder. Send those removed flames to Bob s2. He likes farr.
LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Tuned-Up Big Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangloid View Post
I literally just started welding today. Bro gave me a cheapy AC/DC stick welder from harbor freight.

I bought this helmet from Northern Tool & Equipment. I can't compare to other auto darkening helmets but for 50 dollars, this was amazing for me trying to learn to strike an arc.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1850_200311850

I'll admit i peeled the decals off though, didn't care much for those, but other then that, I will say it is amazing.

It's neat to hear from someone just starting on the stick machine. Take your time, do it as often as you can it will come to you. I had the pleasure of my dad teaching me at a very young age the old stick welding. That is still today the only welder I own and I get anything I want done with it. You are correct in it being art. I have run a few wire welders and liked it. Easier starting off. You will really find yourself having fun with it especially when you fix or build things you need. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:54 PM

I have some E6011, E6013, and 7018.

The e6011 and 6013 i bought are 3/32 size. On those I can strike an arc pretty decent DC, and on AC i can, but it takes a while. It does seem the 6013 strikes much easier.

As for the 7018, its only 1/8th and even the machine on highest setting i just cant seem to get an arc out of it. ( 140 Max amp AC, 115 max DC ).

I spent a few hours in the garage today going through about 5-6 rods for fun on peices of metal. Welding rebar together or just laying beads on scrap peices of metal.

I cranked it to MAX on ac, and used the arc to cut through thinner pieces. Who knew using electricity to melt metal could be so fun..
Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangloid View Post
Who knew using electricity to melt metal could be so fun..

I think that when it really becomes fun is when you fully realize that you can now design your projects without having to allow for bolt patterns.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 01-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Standard of Excellence

I'd better tell you before Sberry gets on this thread, "Set your machine to D/C reverse polarity, then rip the knob off and throw it away!" It is good advise, as there are few uses for A/C that you will run across that D/C can't do better. In a few years when you are trying to weld magnetic drill stem then you can go look for your A/C knob, but stick with D/C for now. I am surprised you can't get an arc with the 7018, check for DCEP and try again, as you should be able to strike it easily as low as 75 amps. Once the arc is going you can drag the rods right on the steel and it runs itself. The 6011 will run similar to 6010 and gives a very textured bead and is generally whipped (though some don't??), it is a good repair rods, it digs deep and is good on rusty /dirty steel.
Enjoy
Andy
Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 AM
Director of Product Reviews

Just a observation that I have made when using 7018 rod is that it will strike the arc very easy when you start new. After you have welded with the rod it is almost as if the shield coating has melted over the metal rod end. One good strike or a heavy scratch against the metal will break that coating and a second arc strike is much easier to obtain then. If I don't break the shield coating off I can sometimes set the rod firmly against the work piece with no reaction.The results I get with 7018 usually has a good coating of slag on the upper surface of the weld bead. I believe that is similar to what I get on the rod ends once I pull back from the weld.

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Over the Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyA View Post
The results I get with 7018 usually has a good coating of slag on the upper surface of the weld bead.
Try a little more heat and good surface prep with the 7018's (also good warm rods). I've seen the slag peel up while cooling. Just take your glove and wipe it off.

I don't often achieve this myself. (don't have a rod heater right now). But with the pro's I use to work with it was very common.

CEC