Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

Default Lucky buy...TSC 2-ton engine hoist

Well, I've been looking at buying one for over a year. I've looked over the HF sales ads weekly, and either didn't have the extra $$, or the one I wanted wasn't on sale.

TSC has had a similar problem since Christmas--they had plenty of $250 air/hydraulic units, but not the cheaper standard ones. I made up my mind today I was going to discuss a deal on the large unit with the manager if they didn't have the others in stock. Luckily, it didn't come to that, as they had two of the standard ones, with leveller as seen here.

At $169, I figured the included leveller made it cheaper than the HF one and the quality was similar. After getting an associate to load the thing, I walked to the counter--10% off coupon (that expired today) in hand. She rang everything up...dog food, 2 cans of spray paint, and the hoist...totalled $145 . The dog food alone was $24 so I knew something was up...

Read over the receipt and the lift was marked down to $107 and some change. I got it home and assembled. Instructions suck. Fit and finish was decent. The ram was good and it has solid one piece wheels--that was my main requirement. I didn't test the load leveller and darkness ended my preliminary review. More tomorrow--with pictures.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Curmudgeon

Well dang, that looks ..... familiar?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 01-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

I have one of those engine lifts , works great for the price . I agree with you the instructions that came with it sucked , but I got it put together alright . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-21-2008, 12:12 AM

I had the kids help me. Their new math/science education is paying off well. Had it not been for their keen understanding of the metric system I'd have had to re-arrange the bolts around a third time . I still think we finally figured it out based more on the "That looks more right..." process.

I'm still confused about the plastic wedges?!? They stuffed 'em down in the legs, looked right...

They felt misled by my spray paint purchase though, but I am glad they realized the need to paint it before it got put together . Took a while to explain to them that's why the Hi-Lift is in pieces on the table in the shop...

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 01-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Wink Plastic wedges ??????

Dubby , the plastic wedges are for putting the pins in the legs when they are folded down , you put the wedges down and push the middle casters up on the wedges and then fold the legs down and put the pins in . Works just as well to fold the legs down and push back on the lift arm to rotate the frame into alignment with the legs . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-21-2008, 02:14 AM
Curmudgeon

So now they're including wedges?
I've always had to supply my own and door shims are really a little bit less than ideal.

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Old 01-21-2008, 02:26 AM

Thanks Lu47Dan, I have had one of these lifts for 3 years and never knew what the wedges were. Like you I always push on the lift arm.

BTW, SWMBO thought I needed the lift and bought it for me for Christmas .
Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 AM

My wife thought I should get one when I had her help me take the table off my milling machine. She went to Fleet Farm and picked it up before the table went back on.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Hmm... I must've just got lucky. The pins went right in with no noticeable manipulation. Or maybe I'm just that good?!?

Makes sense though, I have used borrowed jacks that have been a real chore to get everything lined up enough to work.

I got to thinking about it last night, and maybe I should've gone ahead and painted it. My inherited floorjack is a blue and yellow Blackhawk, and the inherited transmission jack is similar color but of unknown manufacturer. This red and black thing clashes . Worse than that, it's real easy to see from the street, which works as a magnet for borrowers and thieves... Ah well, might be a good summer afternoon project.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
Hmm... I must've just got lucky. The pins went right in with no noticeable manipulation. Or maybe I'm just that good?!?
It will all become clear to you in time, as though in a vision.

Just Keep Walking