Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Member Emeritus June 1965 - August 2015

Default Milwaukee 2601-20 18v Compact Li-Ion Drill and...............

................whaddya know, it's made in China. :evil: Fortunately, I don't give a rats *** where it's made because I like it.

I have wanted/needed a small drill for some time now as my other two cordless ones are big and kinda bulky for some of the stuff I do. I have seen this one, and a similar Makita, at our local hone center for a few months now and just before Christmas, they put the Milwaukee on special for $159 so I bought it.

I have had it for a couple of weeks now and I like the fact that it is lightweight, very well balanced, and seems to hold a charge for a good long while. It has a very solid and well made feel to it. The front part of the motor housing and the clutch ring are both metal and at least half of the plastic surface area is the soft black texture grip stuff. The other little features include the standard two bit storage points, a nice little metal belt hook, and a bright LED just above the trigger. The charger is a 30 minute model and it usually takes a little less than that to get a green light. The bottoms of the batteries are aslo covered with a hard rubber surface and the drill is balanced nicely when set upright.

It has a two speed gear box, 1-350/1-1400 rpm, a 23 position clutch mechanism (that is very positive and works well), and claims to put out 400 in/lbs of torque. The battery attachment is super positive and it has a lighted reserve power gauge just like all the other Milwaukee Li-Ion stuff.

Even though I have only had it for a couple of weeks, I can't find a think about it that I don't like (well one really but whaddya gonna do ) I was a little skeptical about battery life since it is rated at 1.4 Ah, their other 18v stuff is twice that, but so far so good. Now, only time will tell how it will ultimately hold up but you can bet I will give it a good workout.:evil:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Milwaukee 18v 003.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	27052   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Milwaukee 18v 005.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	27053   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Milwaukee 18v 006.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	27054   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Milwaukee 18v 002.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	27055  
I've been crawling on my belly, clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions. I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.
My shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 01-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Boiler God

KB,

Thats good to hear, I've been looking at one, but I wondered about it being so much smaller compared to a regular 18v model, the bigger model I've used for the last 3-4 yrs and have been very happy with it, I sent it in about 2 months ago because of a clutch problem, when it came back there was a note that that model is no longer made and if I ever wanted a similar unit, I'd have to get one of the hammer/drill models, something I don't want. I use it to install relays and controllers in electrical cabinets, and never would use the hammer drill mode. Have us tried running a 3/8" or large drill bit into steel yet? If so, how does it work?

Jack
Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Have us tried running a 3/8" or large drill bit into steel yet? If so, how does it work?

Jack
I haven't tried that yet but I have run a 6mm X 1 tap into a piece of .375" X .083" DOM tubing (for the bike racks I make) just to see if it had the nuts to do it. It did, 24 times and was still going. I normally do those taps in a dedicated set-up but it is a good test for a drill like this.
I've been crawling on my belly, clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions. I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.
My shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Director of Product Reviews

KB thanks for the review. The pictures are worth a thousand words alone. I like the fact that it has the rubber covering on the bottom of the battery. Less scuffing and resists sliding off of most surfaces. I was looking at the new Ryobi Li-ON drill and noticed how much smaller it was to the normal size cordless. Please keep us informed as to your findings.

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 PM
trust but verify

Their 28-volt stuff kicks posterior too. I bought a set for the spouse and often borrow the Sawzall for auto salvage work.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post
Their 28-volt stuff kicks posterior too. I bought a set for the spouse and often borrow the Sawzall for auto salvage work.
I have the 28v combo pack as well with a double on the drill. They are awesome for sure but the drills can be bulky at times which was the impetus for this purchase.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 01-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Elite Member

So what's the difference between this drill and the V18 family? The batteries aren't interchangeable, are they?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Project Phoenix

A guy at work has one of those and I like the charge indicator on the battery, no more walks to the other side of the mill to get a fresh one.

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 01-13-2008, 09:37 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I have a lot of the 28 stuff, super and I put the corded stuff on the shelf. I use the lights a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bat tools 1.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	27278   Click image for larger version

Name:	bat drills.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	27279  
Old 01-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Hello,

I dont have that style Milwaukee drill but it looks like a great one.

As far as the 28v stuff goes I have a cordless band saw and sewzall and they work great.

I have been buying the Lithium Ion retrofit batteries for my regular 18 volt tools and they work very well. A big improvement over the standard battery.
I have a small 18v metal cutting circular saw and the better battery really helps that.

Jeff