Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 12-31-2007, 07:44 PM
More STEAM!!

Default Rear blade for the tractor.

I am in the process of building a back blade for the tractor. To get the blade to swivel around there will be one piece of pipe rotating inside of another.

The out side pipe will be welded at 90* to another pipe will connect to the tractor.
There is only about 1/16 clearance between the two rotating pipes.

Now, what is the best way minimize the distortion when I weld the two pipes together at the 90* angle?
Would preheating the outside pipe do the trick?

Thanks guys for your help.
When I get a little more done I will post some pic.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Here's my thinking and it is how I would do it unless someone steps up with a better idea. I would not preheat. I would strive for a good fitup and mig it. Instead of getting it really hot, I'd run multiple passes with some cooling time inbetween. My thinking is that the hotter you get it the more it will draw down when cooling. You didn't say how thick the pipe is, but the thicker the better I would say.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:14 PM
More STEAM!!

I am sorry, the outside pipe is 4.5" od with a 3/8 wall.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Lord of the Minions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwiwZ...eature=related

Charlie, I'm not saying you should add another project to your already busy life, but if you can look at the link and not think you could use something like it, well, I'll just admit I'm wrong.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhiway View Post
Charlie, I'm not saying you should add another project to your already busy life
That is just a shocking lack of paint.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Lord of the Minions

First thing I did was look for a beard, tennyhoppers and a yellow hat.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Blast this!

Ok what were the drives ,lawnmower ? I was amazed on the cut in the dry soil/rock with not much wheel spin.What would that thing be with a cadtrac as the drive .
Old 01-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Lord of the Minions

Charlie, did you get anything moving on your blade yet?

Midmo', just from the looks of it, I'm betting that one side of wheels is slaved/chain driven by it's partner and most probably nothing more than a small differential from a larger lawn tractor for the transmission.

But, as it does have some trick hydraulics for the blade, it may well be driven by hyd motors. It sure wouldn't have to be though.
LW

Old 01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
More STEAM!!

Charlie, I'm not saying you should add another project to your already busy life,
LW Thank you I have enough projects. That was one cute grader and I could use it. Maybe what I could do is convert that old drag behind grader that I have , I could install a motor and some front stearing wheels, "O" forget it too much work.

Charlie, did you get anything moving on your blade yet?

Yes I did LW, the blade is about ready for the cutting edge, maybe one more angle iron strong back along the bottom. For the pipe, that will connect the blade to the tractor I was given an old stump grinder that has some pipes the slide inside one another. This thing is huge, it had a 50 inch blade that did the grinding on the stumps.

The pipe will be cut up and used to provide the adjustments for the vertical angle adjustments. If the angle adjustment works out, I will use one of the hydraulic cylinders to rotate the blade.

If tomorrow is decent and no snow where I have to go plowing the roads I should have this thing cut apart and will start posting some pictures.

Still haven't received much information or ideas on how to keep the distortion minimized when I weld the two pipes together. Jim's idea seems like it maybe would work. On another project where I welded two pipes together I had one heck of a job getting them together.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Let me add a tip a friend taught me one time when I made some gate hinges too tight and they drew down tight after welding. I don't remember the exact pipe sizes but they were something like 2 3/8 inside 2 7/8. I took a ball pein hammer and peined the heck out of the outer pipe. This caused it to expand slightly and allowed it to turn much easier.