Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-22-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Ace Hardware wrenches

I saw Ace's version of the cross force wrenches on sale for $10.00 a set either metric or SAE. Had to try them at that price. Made in China but the product looks well made. Certainly good enough to keep a set in the truck. Take a look at them if you have an Ace nearby. Downside is that a friend called me a "CTH"
Old 12-22-2007, 07:36 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

A lot of cheap forged end wrenches work well, not really so for sockets but the wrenches are a bargain. They are getting better. I buy them from TSC usually, 3/8,7/16,1/2,9/16, a handful of each every year. I do buy a couple pliers but for the most part something like a channelok or visegrip isnt much good unless its a brand name although my auto parts store has some ATD stuff that isnt bad, the Crecent types are pretty fair compared to a few yrs ago. My pick for good stuff anymore is Lowes or Menards who carry the Allen brand, very good tool for the money.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:37 PM

The china wrench's are great for cutting or modifying to get on a difficult nut or bolt, You can weld'em, cut'em, bend'em, or whatever it takes and not feel sorry one bit. Some are quite well made (stay away from India wrench's imo). Years ago i always hated to cut up American wrench's.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Below Wholesale

I have some ace wrenches at work. (we have a very high pilfer rate) I think they are the "pro" line. They are actually not that bad. Upper crust of china goods.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Blast this!

I have some Gedore hand wrenches ( India ) that are over 30 years old and they were abused in the factory.This year the 3/4 finally broke the box end .
Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Armchair Webbie

Midmo, I too, have a set of those Gedore wrenches of about the same vintage. They go from 3/8" to about 5/8" I think. I got them for my first job out of high school, figuring they'd probably get stolen. They didn't. Not bad for $1.99.

For one's "good" wrenches though, I can't figure out why everyone doesn't buy Craftsman. On sale, you'll pay about the same as other hardware store brands but you get that lifetime guarantee. Outside of a very old 12" adjustable wrench that belonged to my dad, the only things that I have to keep replacing are their screwdrivers. I'm talking about casual users, not you professional guys who would gladly part with your Snap-ons and Macs when we pry them from your cold dead hands.

Dave
Old 12-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Elite Member

I'm a big fan of Klein Tools. Screwdrivers, cutters, strippers, pliers. I haven't tried their wrenches, not a good selection around here. I recently bought a large set of Craftsmen sockets and wrenches on sale the day after Thanksgiving. Good deal, comes in a plastic toolbox, I bought it to keep in my personal truck, but I find myself grabbing it allot to use in the service truck and shop too. I want to get a full set of tools for in the shop as well, but haven't decided what I want yet. I'd like to build a large cart with everything on it, kinda an A shaped cart, standard wrenches hanging on 1 side, metric on the other, screwdrivers and ratchets hanging in the top, sockets somewhere, top or side. Impact sockets, gear wrenches, stubbys, need a place for everything. If and when I get this done, I'll post pics!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Urban Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
I have some Gedore hand wrenches ( India ) that are over 30 years old and they were abused in the factory.This year the 3/4 finally broke the box end .

that is kind of odd... I was inventorying my tools recently (don't do this unless you want to scare yourself), and I have a set of Gedore metric open end wrenches that were given to me when I was little (probably to keep me out of Dad's stuff). They are stubbies, but I have never had any issues with them. actually seem fairly well made.

I think if I end up buying any more craftsman stuff, it will have to come out of their "professional" line. the regular stuff is just getting to be too crappy for my tastes. I fear though, that if I start jumping on tool trucks, you may have to visit me in bankruptcy court.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 12-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Boiler God

In the day to day work, I use mostly the Craftsman professional series wrenches, because of theft, loss (there is a difference) and breakage, it doesn't pay to use Snap-On, Mac or Matco tools, replacement cost are too high. I was on a Snap-On truck awhile back, and bought an extra long handled 9/16" boxend wrench, it was about $50, As it was part of a wrench set, I had to buy it. At that cost, and my style of job, going for boiler room to boiler room, sometimes 3-4 different ones a day, "top quality" tools are not practical. I use Witte electrically insulated screwdrivers, average cost $8.00. The only piece of Snap-On tools I still carry is a 3/8" ratchet, I feel they make the best ratchet. I can use cheaper sockets and wrenches, but cheap ratchets are a PITA. I usually don't take tools back tools I break, if I broke it, trust me, I exceeded the design and intent of the tool design, and am too embarrassed to take the back. As Underdog said, there are times you need to "reengineer" a wrench for a specific job, I've cut more Snap-On and Mac wrenches in half and/or welded extensions to them, than I care to admit, I just don't do it much any more. I have boxes of custom wrenches, I can't remember what they were needed for, but can't get rid of them as I might need them again.

Jack

Last edited by platypus20; 12-23-2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: the usual, spelling
Old 12-24-2007, 12:11 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

ijlijoljo;kjp;k'p;,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tool box top 1.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	26466   Click image for larger version

Name:	tool box top 2.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	26467   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrench hanger.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	26468   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrenches 5.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	26469   Click image for larger version

Name:	bench wrenchess.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	26470  

Last edited by Sberry; 12-24-2007 at 12:28 PM.