Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Director of Product Reviews

Default Northern Industrial 60 LED Rechargable Work light

I was cruising though Northern tool with my mouth open as usual when I pickup one of these and decided to give it a try. I have plenty of corded lights and flashlights that require me to hold but nothing that is really grab and go on service call that I can hang. Believe it or not sometimes I end up in a barn with no power and a tractor that won't start and no way to get it out into the sunlight. This little light has really impressed me with it longevity and brightness. The model I bought has a AC charger but the new model has the AC charger as well as a DC charger for the car. My use is now up to 6 months with no noticeable difference in charging time or brightness from when I bought it. I believe the real key here is the LED lights use less power and are much brighter than the fluorescent bulbs. The only problem I see with it is without the cord you will need to remember to grab it back.

Current link to LED light
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._344263_344263
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED light1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	25857   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED light2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	25858   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED light3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	25859  

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 PM

I have a similar light by a different manufacturer. Like mos of these plug-n things, I've put the AC adapter where I won't lose it and Murphy got to it. The DC adapter is all I use now and keep it in the truck plugged into an outlet that is only hot when the ignition is on.

It took a while to get used to the blue light but I'm well satisfied with the light and it's a handy tool to have.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Director of Product Reviews

Well I just did a check on the status of this light thorugh the link I posted and once again I suggested something that is not available. If nothing else I'm consistant!

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Elite Member

They have the 27 LED in stock
Mike
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2695_200332695

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Elite Member

Snap-on man had some LED conversion lights for the fluorescent drop lights, he sold one to our lead tech, it was brighter and had less heat to it. They claimed the led would never need to be changed.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
Snap-on man had some LED conversion lights for the fluorescent drop lights, he sold one to our lead tech, it was brighter and had less heat to it. They claimed the led would never need to be changed.
Yeah thats the same line the salesman told me about LED tail/brake/turn signal lights for a buddies trailer . I replied "Then why do I see semi trailers with LED's burnt out in there brake lights? " He walked away and I got what I needed , two oblong tail/brake/turn LED lights Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 12-14-2007, 12:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to Greenbuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
I have one, short range brightness is awesome but it isn't very focused so from a distance its a little worse than the flourescent bulbs. Stands up to abuse very well, my drop light gets beaten like a redheaded stepchild and 4 mos later the LED light is still going strong. Mine cost about $30, so far no led elements have gone bad.

Slip-off also sold me a streamlight slim, awesome little light to keep in the pocket of my work shirt. Does a great job for gettin in tight places and under dashes. All it needs is a magnet JB-welded to it so I can slap it on wrenches to go tight places I can't see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan View Post
Yeah thats the same line the salesman told me about LED tail/brake/turn signal lights for a buddies trailer . I replied "Then why do I see semi trailers with LED's burnt out in there brake lights? " He walked away and I got what I needed , two oblong tail/brake/turn LED lights Dan
They do burn out but as compared with regular lights their lifetimes are typically much much longer. More often than not I see whole LED assemblies out on semis, which is usually (experience speaking) the result of broken wires or corrosion in connetors - especially in the midwest and for the poor guys who run agricultural stuff, dirt roads and corn dust does a whole bit of hell on electrical systems. Seems foolish that more don't use weatherpack-style connectors
Old 12-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Greenbuggy , I just do not like pushy salesmen , I went there to get the LED lights and was just browsing when he started his spiel about the lights . This place is 40 miles from me , and I try to buy my lights for trailers there . Since then he has left me alone , unless I ask for help . The owners are local people and I try to support the local businesses when I can . Better prices on what they sell , then the other places around and they can usually find what I need to do a repair . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbuggy View Post
Mine cost about $30, so far no led elements have gone bad.

Slip-off also sold me a streamlight slim, awesome little light to keep in the pocket of my work shirt. .

Russ said he gave $29 for two bulbs, was yours a complete light?

Everyone in the shop now has the Slim, I was the last to get one. I was using a Mini Mag light, keep dropping it on the floor every time I lean over to look at something. Only problem I have now is I keep reaching into my pocket and pull out a ink pin, thinking it's the slim, I realize what I have after pointing it and it's not lighting up!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Blankee Master

I bought a couple of the Cdn version of the Harbour Frieght light, I know its the Cdn version cause it'smore than double what you paid. Free trade you know, *******s.

The only problem with these lights is I keep breaking the hooks.