Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 PM

Default New grinder Metabo or Bosch???

Well after trying for an hour to put the factory installed smoke into my Dewalt 4 1/2 grinder I decided to bite the bullet. The question now is which one? Two friends that were at my shop when the death occured both laughed at the poor lil Dewalt and said "recon you should a bought somthing better" one swears by Metabo the other Bosch. I almost saw a fist fight over this one... Oi Vey ... Anyways any thoughts on either would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
Dynasty 200 DX on H2O
Maxstar 150 STL for those "Quickies" on the road
Hypertherm Powermax 30 (Very Impressed)
Smith Gas Apparatus
Too small of drill press, belt sander
and Floor Space
Old 12-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Lord of the Minions

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...hlight=grinder

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...hlight=grinder
Another good read on 4.5" grinders.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...t=Metabo+Bosch
Discuss's some 4.5"s and Bosch

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 12-05-2007 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Boiler God

Both Metabo and Bosch, build excellent grinders, but look at them carefully, as they both also build them of lesser quality for the home owner/residential users, as well as the industrial market. Check the amp ratings and features, be sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Jack
Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Lord of the Minions

I've seen but never used the Bosch brand, I've used Metabo's, but didn't care for it's low power/torque.(never tried the industrial amp'd model)

I depend on the higher amp Milwaukee's but do have 3 higher amp Dewalts. I have had a Dewalt loose it's gears and break the head casing. But the Milwaukee's just keep grinding away.

A decent grinder in 4.5" that has to be depended upon, has good torque, decent amp rating, will run upwards of a hundred bucks and better, usually.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM

I've used both, metabo works for me.Another good value is the makita 9005B ac/dc switch and tough as nails.

Jim
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Let There Be Light

I called my "12 step program ...don't respond to grinder threads" counselor, but he was drunk...

so I would get a Mikita since the body of the grinder is thinner and is easier to handle with one hand and and get some leverage on the work...

I junked my Metabo and all the rest of the crap I had it my shop for Mikitas

but that's just me....

growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Boiler God

I guess I'm inflexible, over the years the Metabos have been the best I've ever used, and thats what I stick with, I usually pay about $200 per grinder, and have never had a quality related failure of any kind. I drop them forty feet and had them shatter, I've cut cords off, Ive lost flange nuts, I've gotten pi$$ed and thrown them and have broken switches, all of these problems, were caused by me, not the equipment. The only real problems I have with them, is the people I work with and theft (sometimes they are one and the same problem), I lost about 4 this year, and about 10 more over the last 3-4 years. They are like the old TV ad for Bic pens, first time everytime, when I pick it up I know its going to work.

Jack
Old 12-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Grumpy Bastard

I have 4 Milwaukee grinders, three 4.5" grinders and one 9". Other than brushes they are all great grinders and work well whenever called on.

I broke a gear casing on one of them, but then that happens sometimes with a 15' fall onto concrete, all the gear were good, ordered a new casing. Took a whole 4 days to get it.

I hear alot of Metabo guys praise them. I have never touched one. My Bosch woodworking tools are good, but never owned a Bosch grinder.

I have given up on DeWalt tools when the one I own now die they will be replaced with Milwaukee's

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. I checked out the above threads and I'm leaning twords the Metabo. I guess I had a bad taste from past Makitas dying prematurely and Milwaukee being hard to get serviced (mail order long story). I will get to play with a Bosch Thursday (mabey) and will report my findings.... It is nice having a hobbie shop and being able to take time to play with the different offerings. Just to refresh my knowledge I will also look into the Mil and Makita again.

Thanks again
Dynasty 200 DX on H2O
Maxstar 150 STL for those "Quickies" on the road
Hypertherm Powermax 30 (Very Impressed)
Smith Gas Apparatus
Too small of drill press, belt sander
and Floor Space
Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Let There Be Light

Metabo is good choice, I just found them a little thick at the waist...just like me

growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional