Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Director of Languages

Default evolution rage mitre saw

i've been thinking of getting a sliding mitre saw for wood and saw an evolution rage saw that claims to cut wood, steel and alu for 200 euros on special offer.

any views or experience of these evolution saws, whats the quality like?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:17 PM

No experience with this saw but it sounds to good to be true. Does it have some way to adjust the rpms. Hard to see how it can do a good job on both wood and steel otherwise.

I have used my miter saw with a steel cutting blade and didn't like the result versus even a cheap chop saw.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 PM

I have an (older, pre-rage) Evolution metal-cutting ripsaw. It's about the best tool investment I've made so far. It's the 9" one that cuts up to 1/2" plate (although I did see the original blade off by cutting 1-1/4" plate at 3 passes). With a little practice it leaves a really nice edge for welding, no more than a quick zap with a file needed to deburr.
I haven't tried one of the Rage (or cut-off/mitre saws) as yet, but I have heard that the "one blade cuts all" idea works pretty well...
It's worth keeping an eye on Screwfix's end of special offers and season bargains, as you may get one cheap there...
Cheers, Loopy.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Below Wholesale

I have a evo circular saw. It does the job and cuts steel like butter, but I am less than impressed with the ergonomics of the saw. Its difficult to see what you are cutting, there is no guard pull back. The safety switch is hard to use left handed. Overall its a very "bulky" saw. The laser is an obvious add on. The rip fence must be installed or removed every time you want to put it in the case. That and the colors are god awful ugly. I am pretty sure that person who engineered it never actually had to use it!
My point is, I am sure they were engineered by the same people. Unless you can really look or get a stellar review for the saw you want I would be leary.

Last edited by Cavalry; 12-01-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Director of Languages

So far so good.

this is the saw in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnopNPgd-80

bought it friday night, like i say i was in the market for a wood saw and decided to chance this.

well as a wood saw anyway i'm happy, a 12 inch blade would be nicer than the 10 inch one but its one hell of a step up from the 8.25 cheapo non sliding saw i had before.

Cut very little steel, just some wardrobe hanging tubes but it did them without a problem. no argument with the ergonomics so far either.

not exactly a review but my experiences so far...

Hi loopy, unfortunately screwfix dont deliver to the republic, which is a dose as they have an excellent range of stuff online. actually picked it up in B&Q
Old 12-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Gold Star Dad

What is the RPM of that saw?

edit: Never mind, found it: 2500 RPM on the Rage 3

Last edited by USMCPOP; 12-03-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Curmudgeon

Good for you, John. The video makes it look like a keeper.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 12-03-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
Hi loopy, unfortunately screwfix dont deliver to the republic, which is a dose as they have an excellent range of stuff online. actually picked it up in B&Q
Funny you should mention that...

Guess who owns Screwfix.

I think I buy about 80% of my hardware from Screwfix because of the price and the 1 working day delivery...

When my brother was living in Shannon we used to buy a lot of stuff (he's a joiner/builder/landscaper) and forward it to him, even with 2 sets of carriage it still came out cheaper...

Cheers, Loopy.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to hobby_welder71 Send a message via Yahoo to hobby_welder71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich59 View Post
No experience with this saw but it sounds to good to be true. Does it have some way to adjust the rpms. Hard to see how it can do a good job on both wood and steel otherwise.

I have used my miter saw with a steel cutting blade and didn't like the result versus even a cheap chop saw.
wel i believe its not just the saw they make there own blades for metal and wood ...the lws rep was telling me that one of the evo metal blades does the = to an box of reg chopsaw blades the booklet he give me was saying that there was very low toque loss so metal cutting is otumized (excuse my spelling) but it did not talk much on wood im looking at the 9" and the chop saw .... we install diffent metal siding panel on large and small buildings around the eastern U.S. and some of the tools the send us i think are mickey mouse just becouse they want to save a few bucks...... but every one that i have talk to about it has talk good with nothing bad to say about it hope this helps and if ihave gotten anything wrong please correct me
Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Lord of the Minions

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ight=evolution

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...hlight=grinder
9" Evolution saw in action

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 12-04-2007 at 08:12 PM.