Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 11-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default Ok , Cutter you win

Cutter , you won the argument . I got a call today from a friend who needed some 1 1/2" bar stock cut , Since he needs the pieces cut Saturday and it is too thick for the 2050 , I called HF to check on the availability of the saw I posted in the other thread , they had one in stock . I also called Perry Mill to get two blades made for this saw also . After taking Dad to his rehab appointment , running around getting things done , I hooked my little trailer behind the mini-van and headed to Erie . First stop , Perry Mill Supply and picked up my two blades , Lenox Classic bimetal blades with a 10 - 14 tooth pattern $30.96 ea . I also picked up two pair of work gloves while I was there . Then it was cross town to Harbor Freight to pick up the saw , got there and resisted the temptation to walk around the store , presented the coupon to the cashier , she rang it up and I almost had a heart attack $741 and change , yikes , she forgot to scan the coupon , she backed up and scanned it and it came out $635 , paid for it and got the h e double hockey sticks out of there . They loaded it with a fork lift and I tied it down and back to Meadville I went . I made one pit stop for a large coke , which I promptly spilled in my lap > A wet lap and a 45 mile ride home . Here is what it looks like on the trailer . Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HFS.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	25216   Click image for larger version

Name:	HFSa.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	25217   Click image for larger version

Name:	HFSb.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	25218  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default Unloading

I got home without anymore accidents . Changed clothes , took a shower , ate venison stew for supper ( Bambi was real tender ) , I then went out in the shop and moved the old saw to storage , slid the new saw to the back of the trailer , unhooked the trailer from the van and picked the tongue up . Then I moved the van out of the way and slid the saw off on to the ground . I moved it into the shop on my hand truck and unpacked it . The crate was a little flimsy but there was no damage from shipping on the saw . I even followed the set up directions in the manual . I made a test cut on a 2 X 6 and the vise needs squared a little but the axis of the cut was real close , needs tweaked a little but pretty good for a China saw . Need to find a water soluble coolant for it . I will do that tomorrow . Then I can start cutting steel Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HFSc.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	25219   Click image for larger version

Name:	HFSd.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	25220   Click image for larger version

Name:	HFSe.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	25221  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Armchair Webbie

Congradulations Dan, those blades sound kind of pricey though. I know the ones that HF sells are junk but, check out Mc Master Carr. They have lots of different sizes of pre-welded blades.

That looks like a pretty good sized trailer. How well does your mini van handle it? I ask because, that's what I'm contiplating for my next hauler. Oh yeah, what kind of mini van is it and do you like it?

Dave
Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Curmudgeon

Well Dan, I don't know if you'll be happy with that saw or not; I wasn't lobbying for it.
But I have had 3 or 4 other members email me to ask if I thought this Carolina or that one was worth $250 or $350 and my answer is always the same: Look elsewhere.

My Carolina is shop-fabbed from rectangular tube and 1/4" plate; the sawframe is not rigid enough and it flexes and resonates; the whole thing sounds like it's groaning when you turn the motor on. The vise is weak, the motor was vastly underpowered (before the bearings hulled last week) and the guide rollers are poorly positioned. The feed cylinder is mounted on the wrong side of the damned thing so you have to reach over the bow to adjust it and it looks like a storm door closer with a 1/4" water stop for an adjuster - like you might use to install an icemaker. The on/off switch was a cheap joke (before it burned up.) The motor mount uses a spring for belt tensioning that cannot begin to keep the belt from slipping. Someday I may spend a couple of weeks trying to correct some of these flaws & see if I can make a decent small saw out of it.
I got just about what I paid for at $100 and I have learned to use it for a few cuts that wouldn't fit in my 4 x 6.

Now, I realize that Carolina or whoever might have made a few tweaks on it since mine was made but I seriously doubt they have completely redesigned it and anything less than that would still leave it inferior, IMO. I expect you would have a wet lap for a long time if you had paid $700 for a new one to find what I have found with mine.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default Blades and the mini-van

Dave , the blade is 3/4" X 93" X .035" , and if these last like the last Lenox blades I bought from Perry Mill , I will be into 2009 before I need to order more . We will see , they were the only place that will made the blades for me and let me pay for them when I pick them up . The mini-van is a 1998 Pontiac Transport Van , with a 3.4L V-6 and a 4speed Auto , it is my daily driver and has more than enough power to pull my little trailer ( 6 x 8 ) . I rescued this trailer from the weeds at the same time I picked up my Bolens 1050 . It had a bent axle and the channel frame was twisted very badly so one corner rode real low . I replaced the light channel frame with a 3" X 4.1 channel frame , switched from spring suspension with a load rating of 2000 lbs to a torsion axle with a load rating of 3000 lbs , replaced the tongue and coupler and all the lights . Had more money in fixing up the trailer then rebuilding the Wisconsin TRA-10D that was in the Bolens I have hauled right around 700 lbs of steel plus the weight of the trailer and by running in 3RD instead of Drive the van has handled it well .And yes I like the van . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Talking Cutter .

Cutter , I got the email from the ebayer who had the Carolina , the least the shipping could be was $184.11 , and the top end was $261.11 , you add in the $700 starting price , it was out of my range for the time being , and I needed a saw by Saturday morning , I could have driven down to Muncy , Pa to Grizzly and picked one up but that would have burnt a whole day up . Muncy is a 240 mile one way trip and that would have been too far to drag my little trailer as there are some BIG hills on I-80 , not as big as out west but I have ground up over them in a big truck several times and was not looking forward to the trip So Harbor Freight won the contest , short easy trip , and they had one in stock . I am going to gather all my copper , brass and other high dollar scrap metal up and start a fund for a Ellis , might take a few years but I will have one of them . Thanks for the advice and the reminder about your thread . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Curmudgeon

Wellsir, you're certainly welcome and I feel pretty sure you got the better saw barring some kind of freight damage or maybe a Monday Machine.

When I got my little Homier swivel-head out of the box I found a broken ear on the cast iron motor mount plate. Some young Chinaman trainee with a Monday hangover probably overtightened the bolt. Other than that, it has been a real trooper for about 2 years. I've been very pleased with it for the money.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 AM
Armchair Webbie

Thanks for the info Dan. With all you did to that trailer, what was left of the original, the license plate holder? LOL

Good Luck with the new saw!

Dave
Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

that trailer story reminded me of the story of the old man who had an ax for 30 years,same ax,
well,he did change the handle a dozen times and the head three times,but its been a good one!
hahahaa!
Randy
Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Voice of Experience

Very nice..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..