Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-27-2007, 02:11 AM
Member Emeritus June 1965 - August 2015

Default Bend Tech Software - In Use

Today I ended up doing the job that was my reason for purchasing the Bend-Tech program. It took a couple of hours dicking with the software, and a couple of calls to Chris @ Bend Tech, but I did git er' done. I should also say that Chris is the nicest and most helpful person you could ever hope to speak with.

This is a pretty simple part but I can't believe how much simpler it was made by this program. The first thing you have to do is some tooling calibration for each of your dies. This requires bending a couple of parts, taking some measurements, and then inputting that data into the program. Not really rocket science but depending on the style of bender you have, there are some things you have to watch out for and be careful of. Hmmm, I wonder how I know that. By inputting your tooling information and the specifications for your part, you get a cut length and measurements for each of your bends.

Pics are as follows.

1 and 2 are the marks that the program gives you for bend locations. The first one is 4 5/8" from the starting end and the 2nd mark is 18 7/16" from the SE. The tape only gets pulled once and the part is pulled theough the bender the same way.

Pic 3 shows the mark lined up with the leading edge of the die.

Pic 4 shows the part loaded.

Pic 5 shows the part secured by the bolt in the U-strap. I used a piece of shim stock to clamp it to keep from marring the part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bending Job 001.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	25142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bending Job 002.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	25143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bending Job 003.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	25144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bending Job 004.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	25145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bending Job 009 (Small).jpg
Views:	813
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	25146  

I've been crawling on my belly, clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions. I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.
My shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to.

Maynard James Keenan

Last edited by KB Fabrications; 11-27-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:14 AM

The first pic here is of the part in the die during the first part of the bend. Notice the mark at the leading edge of the die. It is important that the bolt on the die, holding the part secure, doesn't let the bar slip as this will **** up your result big time. Again, I wonder how I know.

Pic 2 is of the part bent to 99 degrees. This is what it required on my bender to account for the springback on the 5/8" solid stock.

Pic 3 is after the first bend, the part pulled through and lined up for the second bend.

Pic 4 is of the second bend. again, bent to 99 degrees.

Pic 5 is some parts done and a few more to go.

So far, this software is spot on and I'm amazed at how well it works and how easy it has been to use. I have a long way to go to use it to it's full potential but I think I am going to like it big time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bending Job 011.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	25147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bending Job 005.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	25148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bending Job 006 (Medium).jpg
Views:	529
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	25149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bending Job 007.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	25150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bending Job 008.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	25151  

I've been crawling on my belly, clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions. I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.
My shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 AM
Lord of the Minions

Well Kev, I'm guessing your not making handle bars for OCC.

Curious about the bender you have. Could you offer a model number etc as you have it set up? Was the hydraulics added after the fact, or part of the initial purchase?

Just from what the pics show, it does look like your bender did the job with no markings left on the material. True?

Now back to the work. I seem to remember the program/software as not being too terribly expensive. Did you find it worthy of the expense now for this job, and do you see it as something you'll be able to use as the need arises in the future?

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:51 AM
That HURT!

Nice set up Kevin. In addition to LW's ?s, what did you use to insure that both 90* bends are in the same plane as it appears that was the intended result?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Lord of the Minions

Probably used a digital level on the leg that he first completed.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhiway View Post
Well Kev, I'm guessing your not making handle bars for OCC.

Curious about the bender you have. Could you offer a model number etc as you have it set up? Was the hydraulics added after the fact, or part of the initial purchase?

Just from what the pics show, it does look like your bender did the job with no markings left on the material. True?

Now back to the work. I seem to remember the program/software as not being too terribly expensive. Did you find it worthy of the expense now for this job, and do you see it as something you'll be able to use as the need arises in the future?

LW
lol, no, I don't think I'm up to par with those OCC guys.

The bender I have is the Pro-tools model 105HD. I purchased the hydraulics at the same time as the bender but it is sold as a "conversion kit". It works remarkably well. Here is the link for the bender. I have the HD version.

http://pro-tools.com/105.htm

Here is a link to the hydro conversion kit that I bought with the bender. I have kit #3A

http://www.pro-tools.com/105_6.htm

The lack of markings on the outside of the bend are due to the time I spent polishing the follower block. When you first get the dies, the FB needs to be polished a good bit if you are going to do aluminum or you will get some pretty bad scratches.

I paid $289 for the "Pro" version and it seems like it is worth every penny. The program is very slick to use and the after the sale CS is fantastic. I spent 30 minutes on the phone yesterday with the owner helping me figure out what I was doing wrong initially. I will most certainly use it in the future, especially after I deliver these parts.

Maynard James Keenan

Last edited by KB Fabrications; 11-27-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
Nice set up Kevin. In addition to LW's ?s, what did you use to insure that both 90* bends are in the same plane as it appears that was the intended result?
Thanks Mac.

Well, there is a "stop block" that you can use to go to the same place every time but it is a bit of a pain to use. I just went to the same spot, 99 degrees as read on the ring under the bender, every time and the legs were square to the back. If you look in the pics, you will see a degree ring on the bender and a wire pointer coming off of the die, The bend stroke is slow enough that you can be incredibly precise with the pointer. I did have to scrap two parts to get the right degree setting.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 11-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Looks like it all worked out well. I remember you talking about this software before and i thought it was initially a little cheaper. Did you go with a better version?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder289 View Post
Looks like it all worked out well. I remember you talking about this software before and i thought it was initially a little cheaper. Did you go with a better version?
Yes. Initially I was considering the EZ/3D versions and those are $69 and $149 respectively. After speaking with Cris at BT, I decided to go with the "Pro" version as it would suit my current needs but allow me to expand my capacity at some point.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 11-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Lord of the Minions

Kev, I think 'RMack' was asking how you got/kept both leg bends on the same level plane. As, if the part is laid on a table, both legs and the back would lay flat, without one leg up in the air slightly.

LW