Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 11-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Elite Member

Default Cutter...Need Port-A-Band Info

Cutter,

I remember reading your post about your new Harbor Freight portaband saw, and the modifications you made to it. I was wondering if you could tell me how well the saw has performed for you, and if you would recommend that model over a name brand unit if the saw would see limited use.

I was all set to buy a Milwaukee model because I generally like to buy quality tools even if they would not be heavily used. But after using the new Milwaukee portaband at work, I wonder if the extra money would be worth it for me. This new Milwaukee cut through some 2" .250 wall square tube really good, but for some reason the blade kept coming off. As far as we could figure there is no way to adjust the tension on the blade other than just flipping the lever after you put the blade back on. We even tried a couple of other blades thinking the blades may be defective, but no luck.

So if the Harbor freight will hold up to occasional use, I think it would make more economical sense for me to go this route. I would appreciate an update on your saw experiences..........thanks,

Pat.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Below Wholesale

I would try a different blade from a different mfg. I have a milwaukee and it preformed flawlessly untill the rubber bands wore and I cut though the stop. Couple reasonable parts and she operated like new.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post

So if the Harbor freight will hold up to occasional use, I think it would make more economical sense for me to go this route. I would appreciate an update on your saw experiences..........thanks,

Pat.
Pat, other than it being so cheaply built and ugly as sin I simply cannot complain about it. It kinda gives you that "Oh NO!" buyer's remorse when you see the plastic wheels & things like that but the silly saw has cut every thing I've tried. Like you said, I only use it occasionally and when nothing else seems to fit but I do not regret the purchase.
Now, I do keep it sort of hidden so nobody else ever sees it.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Co-founder, Harbor Freight 12 Step Program

Pat,

I have the same saw and followed the procedures Cutter laid out. I am satiafied with the saw but have not used it a great deal. I think it's a good value for a hobbiest like myself but it might not hold up to harder, more frequent use. Whatcha want for 60 bucks

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. They can keep the change."
Old 11-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Boiler God

Cutter,

Could you please, either describe the mods, or direct me to the link, so I can read about them? First I didn't know that HF sold a porta-band, second what kind of problems necessitated the need for the mods. I have 2 of the MIlwaukee porta-bands and beat the ever living dogsnot out of them (10-15 hrs a week, cutting boiler tubes and angle iron), and like a Timex, they just keep on ticking. The only other porta-band I've ever seen has been a Bosch.

Jack
Old 11-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Curmudgeon

Sure Jack, Here you go.
I really didn't do any modifications so much as finish assembling the derned thing.
But I did show the insides.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 11-24-2007, 10:17 AM

Hey Pat. Here's mine with a stand I made. The base is from an old Ryobi band saw and I'm on blade number 6. I use it a lot but I take it easy because I know it's HF. I got mine on sale for $69. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01101.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	24892   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01102.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	24893  

Last edited by rustybearing; 11-24-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: forgot pictures