Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Member Emeritus June 1965 - August 2015

Default Anyone ever weld filler rod together?

Did a job yesterday where the finished product consisted of a piece of 3/32" 316 stainless filler rod that was formed and tig welded. I can't say that I have had many jobs where filler rod was the base metal I was going to be working with.

Working from the print, I had to make a 2" ID circle and leave enough for a 6" OAL with a small bend at the tip. I needed 18", or 1/2 of a rod, for each part. The first pics show the progression. I used a 1 5/8" tube to bend around as it was the right OD to provide the necessary springback to get the 2" ID. Then I clamped it to the table in position to be welded. The other two pics show both sides of the joint after welding. By pointing the tungsten at the cut end, it burned back ever so slightly to allow me to put a dab of .045" filler into the joint. A little blast of the pedal and it was a full pen joint, only having to heat one side.

More to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	326
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	25735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	295
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	25736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 003 (Medium).jpg
Views:	310
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	25737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 004 (Medium).jpg
Views:	307
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	25738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 005 (Medium).jpg
Views:	328
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	25739  

I've been crawling on my belly, clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions. I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.
My shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to.

Maynard James Keenan

Last edited by KB Fabrications; 12-10-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:59 PM

Next comes the bending. I set up a small wire bending jig so that they all would end up the same length. At this point, the circles are welded/finished but the final length is not set. The first two pics show the bending progression. The next pic shows the part after bending and dressing the tip. For the tip length, I cut each one about 1/16" long and then ground to final length using a go, no go guage. The last pic shows all the little soldiers after passivating/cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Small Wire Job 007 (Medium).jpg
Views:	264
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	25740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 008 (Medium).jpg
Views:	261
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	25741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 009 (Medium).jpg
Views:	299
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	25742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 016 (Medium).jpg
Views:	299
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	25743  
I've been crawling on my belly, clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions. I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.
My shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to.

Maynard James Keenan

Last edited by KB Fabrications; 12-10-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 PM
The Real Deal

Nice weld was that piece work or hourly rate I used to do that with my stubs but not that pretty. nice job!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:04 PM

The first two pics are the before/after cleaning shots. I have a small shop made passivating unit I use to clean the weld burn off of all the stainless work I do. It is nothing but a box with a 110V to 12V transformer, a piece of copper tube crimped on both ends for a wand, and a cheap ground clamp. The only thing I don't have a pic of is the cloth that is wrapped around the business end of the wand. It needs to be soaked in an 85% phosphoric acid solution, from your local chemical supply. When you turn it on, you then connect the ground to what you are cleaning and use the PA soaked wand to rub over the affected area. Like magic, the weld burn will disappear leaving a beautiful shiny silver finish behind.

This is a rediculously simple thing to build. When you are using it, and it's working, all you notice is a small vibrating sensation while the cleaning is being done. The PA will dissipate rather quickly so you need to keep the wand/cloth loaded with it. You also don't want to touch any part of the bare copper wand to the part while it is grounded or you will get burn marks on the material you are trying to clean. I can't think of anything else but if you have specific questions, I will try to answer them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Small Wire Job 013 (Small).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	25744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 015 (Medium).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	25745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 010 (Medium).jpg
Views:	279
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	25746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 011 (Medium).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	25747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Wire Job 012 (Medium).jpg
Views:	289
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	25748  

Maynard James Keenan

Last edited by KB Fabrications; 12-10-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Nice weld was that piece work or hourly rate I used to do that with my stubs but not that pretty. nice job!
Hey thanks. This work was hourly rate.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 10-18-2007, 02:11 PM
The Real Deal

That looks like something for the projects list. What is on the wand in the pic or did I miss something?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
That looks like something for the projects list. What is on the wand in the pic or did I miss something?
I think it was in the post but it is just a piece of copper tubing crimped at both ends. It has a hole drilled in each end for the connections and a piece of garden hose for a cover. I didn't get a pic of the wand loaded with cloth so all you see is the bare end.

EDIT: I'm about to make another one of these so if you guys are interested, I could do a thread on it.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 10-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Curmudgeon

Please do and explain the term passivate as it applies.
The dictionary definition doesn't really do it justice, imo. For instance:
Quote:
To treat or coat (a metal) in order to reduce the chemical reactivity of its surface.
To coat (a semiconductor, for example) with an oxide layer to protect against contamination and increase electrical stability.
Fine, but why phosphoric, etc.?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Please do and explain the term passivate as it applies.
The dictionary definition doesn't really do it justice, imo. For instance:

Fine, but why phosphoric, etc.?
EDIT: So a quick google search turned up a good explanation of "passivation" of stainless steels. I suspect my reference to passivation comes from us lay types in the industry latching onto a term but not really understanding what it means.

What It Is and How It Works!

Passivation

There is some dispute over whether the corrosion resistance of stainless steel can be enhanced by the process of passivation. Essentially, passivation is the removal of free iron from the surface of the steel. This is performed by immersing the steel in an oxidant, such as nitric acid or citric acid solution. Since the top layer of iron is removed, passivation diminishes surface discoloration. While passivation does not affect the thickness or effectiveness of the passive layer, it is useful in producing a clean surface for a further treatment, such as plating or painting. On the other hand, if the oxidant is incompletely removed from the steel, as sometimes happens in pieces with tight joints or corners, then crevice corrosion may result. Most research indicates that diminishing surface particle corrosion does not reduce susceptibility to pitting corrosion.

This was taken from this website: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/metals...a071201a_2.htm

Here is the google search for passivate stainless steel: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...tainless+steel

Looks like I will be doing some homework for this one.

Maynard James Keenan

Last edited by KB Fabrications; 10-18-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Big Iron

Pretty impressive, Kevin. And, as always, Nice welds.