Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 10-08-2007, 09:00 PM
tnfarmboy

Default Drill bit sharpener

Anybody have one? Is it worth the time and money?
I am one of those guys that only gets a few holes out of a bit, lack of patients I guess.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Urban Gunfighter

I have a drill doctor 750. I really like it.
I have tried doing it by hand, but end up butchering my bits.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 10-08-2007, 10:04 PM

I have drill Dr. too, But I don't use it. I buy cobalt drill bits and they last a long time. Not to mention you can drill through hardend steel with them if you go really slow and use good fluid.

Tool's,...................
Too much to list.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Curmudgeon

I have the smallest self-powered Drill Doctor - the 250, I think? It will handle up to 1/2 inch down to about 3/32's.
Sure beats nothing when you've got a bunch of junk bits.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-08-2007, 10:47 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Quote:
Is it worth the time and money?
You can either learn to hand sharpen, pay someone else to sharpen, or buy a sharpener.

It takes a while to learn to hand sharpen. After about a thousand attempts, over six months, I started to get the hang of it. By eight months, most of my bits would drill. After a year, they'd all drill pretty well.

Finding someone else to sharpen can be a challenge, depending on location.

I started with a Drill Doctor, then replaced it with the industrial model from the same company, click here. It sharpens everything well, especially under half inch. Over that, the Lisle 91000 does a great job, click here. For really large drills, you still have to hand sharpen or buy a huge machine.

I sharpened about three dozen twist drills tonight ... all the dull ones from work. Less than twenty minutes, including some large ones with broken & chipped ends. Speed & consistency are the benefits of a mechanical sharpener.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Tender Member

The best thing I like about a drill bit sharpener, is when your bits gets dull, you dont have to take a 30 mins trip to the store and waste time. It only takes about 2 mins to sharpen one. I the drill DR. (dont know the model # but it is the first one that came out). It works good. The tip is not as good as a brand new one but it will sharpen it where you can use it again. For the money the drill DR. is good. I have sharpened about 150 bits on it so it has paid for itself. The only thing I dont like about the drill DR is it wont (atleast mine wont, the newer models may) sharpen my 1/2"- 1" bits.

I heard the Darex sharpeners are very good. The run from about 1 grand on up. Here is one that would work great if you have the money for it. But for me I cant justify spending 3 grand for a drill bit sharpener. And for that price I think it should come with atleast a 5 HP motor.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2851_200322851

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:47 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
And for that price I think it should come with atleast a 5 HP motor.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2851_200322851
3hp Baldor w/VFD is usually adequate. Besides, it matches my pencil sharpener.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Lord of the Minions

I have the D'Docter 750 and am pleased with it. Works well for the smaller stuffs. For the larger, I still have the grinder base with the cups and manual setups that I've used for a very long, long time. lol

For the price the D'Docter is just about the best for the money in the home/shop/heavy hobbyist type scenario.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-09-2007, 04:07 AM
Armchair Webbie

The best boss I ever had taught me how to sharpen drill bits by hand when I was a teenager. It's a worthwhile skill to learn.

Aside from that though, I've seen the infomercials on the Drill Doctor and it looks pretty good.

My dad had a Craftsman when I was a kid that, was an attachment that you bolted along side of a bench grinder. I think U.S. General still makes it. It works but, it's too much fiddling around for me and it should be used with the special wheel they reccomend that's meant for side grinding.

Dave
Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 AM
The Real Deal

I have sharpened bits by hand for years with good luck, but every year the bits seem to get smaller and harder to see At least I can still see the pointee end. I could have picked up a drill doctor a few years ago cheap and I wish I would have.