Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

Default Product review: AutoCut by General Pipe Cleaners

I don't do a whole lot of copper plumbing work. I much prefer it over pvc though, and it is how I'm running all the lines in my folks house. When I went to disconnect a water heater today I discovered that my standard large diameter tubing cutter had rusted shut, and the wheel was boogered up. A trip to the box store for a replacement led me to this little product.

What it is: The "AutoCut" 3/4" copper tubing cutter. Cost around $19 at HD.

What it claims: To cut copper tubing, quickly and easily. Just clamp around tubing and spin. (The grey part folds in to make a complete circle, pic to follow). Allows close quarters cutting with less than 1" of clearance around the tube. Stubout cutting within 1/2" of desired surface.

This thing works like a charm!!! Once locked in place, you don't have to stop to adjust the cutter wheels--it does it automatically. Since the pressure is constantly adjusting, it doesn't "flat" out spots on the cut. The cutting wheel doesn't burr, and the other rollers keep the cut from wandering.

After making 15-20 cuts in 3/4", I sent the wife to HD to buy the 1/2" instead of using my regular mini-cutter. I'd bet it saved me 2 hours worth of fidgeting throughout the day. Well worth it in my book for the close to 100 cuts I had to make.

Three sizes are available, 1", 3/4", and 1/2". They also have a "ratchet handle" that will wrap around the outside adding leverage. I didn't find a situation where that would've been necessary though. It had about the same amount of resistance as turning on a gas valve.

Drawbacks--they only work on one size, and they're pricey.

I tried taking pictures of the thing in action, but my camera didn't like the low light of the bathroom and laundry room I was working in. Sooo... I found a photo just so you guys know what to look for if you ever need a great tubing cutter.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 08-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Lord of the Minions

Thumbs up

I saw the plumber here at the complex pull out his assorted sizes and yes, they are quick, do a nice job and well worth the money.

His were made of aluminum instead of plastic, so I'm guessing his were again more expensive.
Thanks dubby.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Those work great as long as you keep them dry , but once you get rust started in them they go downhill fast . Spray them with WD-40 after use to displace any water left lingering inside them . And once you start them there is no turning back . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank