Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Harbor Fright bandsaw blade welder

Has anyone ever used one of those Harbor Fright bandsaw blade welders? They sell for $129-$139 or so and I wonder if they are worth buying and then a roll of bandsaw blades. I have a 4X6 and also an older Sears 12" that I have a DC variable speed motor on. I hate giving money to sears with a passion as hot as the fires of my mother in laws house!
:evil:
Old 07-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Armchair Webbie

Smile

Hello pietperon,
I've never used the Harbor Freight welder but have used others. Unless you're going through alot of blades, you would probably be better off just buying them. Try www.mcmastercarr.com They have IMHO better blades than you can get at Sears and you can find them pre-made for just about any saw. Blade welders are most often attached or built into industrial saws for the purpose of making internal cuts. You break the blade, thread it through a hole in your work piece, reweld it, make your cut, break the blade again, remove your work piece and reweld the blade. If your heart's set on a blade welder though, go for it. I was just trying to give you a cheaper alternative. Some guys on here have had good luck tig welding their blades and it's also possible to silver solder them. I'm going to try the silver solder method on a broken blade I have one of these days.

Dave
Old 07-07-2007, 01:34 AM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

I use mcmaster carr for just about everything I can't find local or things i'm not in a hurry for. They quite literally seel just about everything and are usually reasonably priced.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Armchair Webbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabull View Post
I use mcmaster carr for just about everything I can't find local or things i'm not in a hurry for. They quite literally seel just about everything and are usually reasonably priced.
Yea, I use them all the time and they're close by to me. If I order today, it's here tomorrow. By regular UPS no less. Also, no minimum purchase like MSC.

Dave