Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Do I have a life?

Thumbs down Planned Obsolescence: Ryobi 18v Leaf Blower

Planned Obsolescence: Ryobi 18v Leaf Blower

I've had this P2100 Blower for probably 10 years now. I forget what I paid--I think it was a closeout so I doubt I paid more than $30. Not the most powerful unit, I used it to blow out the shop and driveway on occasion.

Recently it started making a loud moaning noise so I popped it apart, lubed the motor bearings with a little spray grease and put it back together. Disassembly is easy, with about 10 screws to separate the clamshell halves. The last time I used it, it started making some chunking noise so I took it out of service and popped it back apart. The impeller had broken off at the motor. I removed the rest of the impeller from the motor shaft and tested the motor by pulling the whole electrical setup out and clipping it to a battery and it works fine.

The motor shaft has a left hand thread and it appeared a new impeller could screw right onto it. Looking online, the impeller was not listed in a parts diagram nor were any OTHER internal parts such as the switch or motor. So I call the Ryobi parts--nope, impeller not available, then I call the service/warranty dept.--nope, impeller not available. It is identical to newer units with the exception of the color. Apparently, if someone sends back a newer model blower (stock photo shown) under warranty, they just send them a new one...

Although quite happy with my Ryobi 18v tools, I will NOT be buying another blower from them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blowmeblower.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	127069   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	127070   Click image for larger version

Name:	imp1.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	127098   Click image for larger version

Name:	imp2.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	127099  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 10-20-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Banned

Ryobi is the new "Wen".....

Remember that junk ?
Old 10-19-2015, 05:44 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post

The motor shaft has a left hand thread and it appeared a new impeller could screw right onto it. Looking online, the impeller was not listed in a parts diagram nor were any OTHER internal parts such as the switch or motor. So I call the Ryobi parts--nope, impeller not available, then I call the service/warranty dept.--nope, impeller not available.
Welll well well. That's good to know.
I looked at those and the other more expensive blowers at HodePo the other day but my gut said no.
Now I know why. Thanks, Bob.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 10-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Karma Avenger

I thought I read somewhere that HomeDepot owns or is a major stockholder in Ryobi. Ran into the same problem my own bad self. Have a chinkenese scooter at work that needs a couple of carb parts, have to buy carb assembly. At least it's cheap, $42 for a carb. Somebody gave me a generator that needs a float valve. No motorcycle float valves are like it so I looked for that part online. Same deal, buy a new carb. This one is $85 though. Having to think hard if it's worth spending the money on a 2500 watt generator that sold new for $189. The only people that seem to have parts for it is Sears.

http://www.amazon.com/Steele-Product...ws/B002QGT7RS#
Old 10-19-2015, 11:04 PM
there has to be an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Ryobi is the new "Wen".....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDoctor View Post
I thought I read somewhere that HomeDepot owns or is a major stockholder in Ryobi.
Ryobi is owned by TTI.

Techtronic Industries Company Limited Techtronic or TTI, is an investment holding company. Its products include Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi, Homelite, Hoover US, Dirt Devil, and Vax. Subsidiaries include AC (Macao Commercial Offshore) Limited, Baja, Inc., Homelite Consumer Products, Inc., Hoover Inc., One World Technologies, Inc. and Sang Tech Industries Limited.

Five years ago when I posted the Sears vendor list, and they were and are a vendor. After I found the list I looked at all the Craftsman that I bought in the 70s and 80s and it was all made by Ryobi.

I think HD just has an exclusive on Ryobi.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:18 AM
Armchair Webbie

Some people,(myself included), have had luck getting replacement parts and new old stock pieces for various consumer products from ebay.

Worth a try. What have you got to lose?

Dave
Old 10-20-2015, 01:04 AM
Do I have a life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
I looked at those and the other more expensive blowers at HodePo the other day but my gut said no.
I don't know what kind of blower you were looking for but I already have a TroyBilt I got from Lowe's for $29 on sale about a year ago. That works just nicely in my remote shop and has adequate power. The price is now about $33, specs are 150MPH/180CFM/66dB/2yr warranty.

I DID look at another cheap corded unit the other day when at HD. They have a Homelite 2-speed (low is 120MPH) for $33. On paper it looks better than the Troy with specs at 150MPH/233CFM/65dB/2yr warr.

But I really need something I can go to the ends of the property with, and feeding out 100' of extension cord gets old plus it isn't quite long enough to reach the street...

So I dug out the old Craftsman gasser I had thrown in the corner when it stopped running a couple years ago. (stock photo) This was a pawn shop special 15 years ago for $40 and has seen LOTS of use. It is on its last legs: the muffler studs pulled out 5 years ago and my repair also eventually pulled out so it is loud and hot exhaust has done a good deal of modification to the plastic housing adjacent to the muffler. Plus it was a coal burner... Pulled it apart to discover it needed a primer bulb and the fuel lines are hard as a rock. The NEW fuel line I DID have in stock had deteriorated for whatever reason and was sticky in the bag Stuff was not even a year old! Picked up some hose on the way home but they didn't have the primer bulb so this unit is quickly turning into a project and it might be time for the scrap pile... I put a "wanted" ad on CL so I'll see what turns up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	troy.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	127094   Click image for larger version

Name:	homey.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	127095   Click image for larger version

Name:	r_769-1.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	127096   Click image for larger version

Name:	hosed.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	127097  

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
Old 10-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Twice the size--half the man

I bought the same blue Ryobi blower when it first came out, and used up every bit of the full price I paid for the thing. It has been a joy to have, easier than dragging out a broom (also gets into the cracks better), but like yours it's now on it's death bed. It's been making the growling noise for the past two years as it winds up and slows down. As long as it's at speed things are just fine.

The drill set I had was a bit heavy when I started needing my drill every day, and I swapped out to a 'mini' Hitachi 18v. That left me not rotating and using my Ryobi stuff enough to take care of the batteries--so now they're all pretty useless. I'd like to use the little blower occasionally, but not enough to buy new batteries--especially since it's growling and may not live long afterwards.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-20-2015, 11:41 AM
Do I have a life?

Default Tender Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
...it's now on it's death bed. It's been making the growling noise for the past two years as it winds up and slows down. As long as it's at speed things are just fine.
Mine made the noise for maybe a total of 10-20min of use before it failed. But if it is the motor for example, and NOT the impeller, I have a tested parts unit available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
The drill set I had was a bit heavy when I started needing my drill every day, and I swapped out to a 'mini' Hitachi 18v. That left me not rotating and using my Ryobi stuff enough to take care of the batteries--so now they're all pretty useless. I'd like to use the little blower occasionally, but not enough to buy new batteries--especially since it's growling and may not live long afterwards.
You need to do more 12oz curls to strengthen that arm of yours...

I should really do a separate write-up of Ryobi tools because overall, I've been quite satisfied with them. And they are available used EVERYWHERE. I use a number of the "old" blue tools almost daily, particularly the drill, 1/4" hex impact driver, angle grinder and flashlight. I even have some old "white label" units still in use. They call their system "ONE+" meaning the batteries fit a s-load of different tools.

I lucked onto a couple of the impact drivers at a HD for $26 each "closeout" (now about $70 in bright green) and I would pay full price knowing how well they have worked for me over the years.

I don't need to hang with the "cool" crowd gushing about my yellow, red, green, blue, orange or grey cordless tools while grabbing my crotch... The lowly Ryobis work just fine!

But with any cordless tools, batteries are an "expendable" item. The yellow/black NiCad 18v batteries (P100) lasted me just over 2 years before they went totally limp. I don't have ANY of those left--they have since been recycled leaving me with a few worthless chargers (P110) as they won't charge the newer LiIon batteries.

The grey/green LiIon have been quite good to me and I have some older 46Wh "full-size" (P104) that are still going strong after 5-6 years. I do have one or two that will not take a full-charge but they still work OK for limited use. Note that all the LiIon batteries take a "special" charger and the old black/yellow chargers will not work with them.

I have a couple of the smaller lightweight "pancake" batteries (P103) bought with a "kit" on closeout--sold the drills that came with them but kept the chargers and batteries. One of those batteries has gone flat but the other still works good. I think these retail for $40-$50 or so.

Keep your eyes open for the "2 for 1" packs of 72Wh LiIon batteries (P108). These will cost you about $100 for the pair (normally $100 EACH) and the deal usually only surfaces during the "Black Friday" sale. These guys last just about forever with no issues noted with ones I have that are going on 2 years old which I believe is the length of warranty on them. I would get about 10-15min using the aforementioned blower with them where other batteries would only last 5min.

Ryobi uses a 4-digit numerical date code on all their tools. "0928" would indicate 2009, 28th week. But when I buy a battery new, I will put the date purchased on it, and keep the receipt. I haven't had to dig up any receipts because the LiIon have outlived their warranty so far.

PS: I WOULD buy another Ryobi blower but my price is at $30, tops and a new "hybrid" (110v also) is around the $100 mark. And this is for a blower I would consider to be on the weak side. Note the specs above: it is more important to look at the CFM rating than the MPH rating. Blowing fast is not the same as blowing a lot (I'm talking AIR here! ).

About the only other ONE+ tools I've had my eye on are the 1/2" drive impact (about $100) and maybe the "FEIN multimaster" style tool ($60)...

PPS: and I should note that my older LiIon chargers (P113) mess with FM radio reception when charging and need their own special place away from the radio...

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig

Last edited by mccutter; 10-20-2015 at 12:11 PM.