Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Banned

Alrighty now.

At one time I owned an Izusu NPR cabover truck with a dumping flatbed.

And I fabbed a little crane/jin pole for it.

(there are no pictures avail, sorry)

I welded (2) handcrank winches in front of the headache rack,
long shafts brought the cranks out to the driver's side. I welded
a deep socket to the crank, kept it stowed behind the seat.

One winch raised and lowered an "a" frame, hinged right over the wheels,
about 3' in from the tailgate. The other ran the cable up and
over the sheave on the "a" frame. The whole afair would hinge over forward,
and lay nice and flat on the floor.

I could lift something above the tailgate, then swing it up and onto
the bed, let it down onto the bed.

I had to add safety chains from the back up to the "a" to keep it
from going over forward....(know how I learned that ?)

If I put any kind of crane on a trailer, I want the &^%$#@! ball firmly
attached, I would prefer a pintle hitch, easy to visulally check
just before taking a strain.

'Cause when the load comes on, and the load starts being swung,
I want the stabilizing of the truck, unless you make some
swing out and pin outriggers.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
If I put any kind of crane on a trailer, I want the &^%$#@! ball firmly
attached, I would prefer a pintle hitch, easy to visulally check
just before taking a strain.
Yea, no doubt.

Like mentioned earlier, I use wood blocks, 2 ea on either side of the rear underside of the trailers tail frame. The trailer only moves down an inch or so till the frame touchses the wood blocks.(wood used in lieu of jackstands or something similiar. Blocks of wood are cheaper and in mass qty)

The 'sky apex' or 'sky pin bridge' depending on where you are, was made out of heavy wall tubing and 3/4"x4"x32" f/b. I nestled the f/b into the ends of the tubing.

I actually rolled out the A/0 rig this time to slot the tubing. Please note the fine La. patina.

As I use chain more often than I do wire rope, I used chain for the fwd and rear pole back lines. I've been able to keep these lengths of chain in a dedicated 5 gal bucket for just this purpose.

The drill press shown is the old one picked up from Lowes or Homey D' years and years ago. Same motor and chuck and if memory serves, the same two 'v' belts for the step pulleys up top. I've drilled a few really large holes in steel with this thing and if not pushed, does a right nice job for the money spent on the thing.

I'm using shackles holding the chains to the poles and apex and the trailer. Easier to break down and set up over the alternatives.

I still need to make a spreader bar out of the same heavy wall tubing of say 4' or 5', but may not do so this weekend as it's not needed for this lift.

Pic 1 Getting ready to drill my 3 top bridge holes
Pic 2 Getting ready to flame slot the tubing for the apex
Pic 3 How everything goes together and final fit, but before I added the beef to the trailer lower frame and sides. I was looking at different lengths of chain for the fwd pole tether and the best choice is the chain closest to the camera. The other side will be matched to it. With the poles at this angle, the top center plumbed to the ground will clear the tail of the trailer at 36". Just what I need and a safe angle for the poles and chain load.

Pic 4 & 5 Flowers by the bush. Gotta have a little color for every job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0013.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	103428   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0014.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	103429   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0018.jpg
Views:	9097
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	103430   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0019.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	103431   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0020.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	103432  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:06 AM
Lord of the Minions

These are the last 3 pics of the mockup rigging and the finished apex bridge all welded up. The last pic showing the lower end of the gin pole is without the extra steel added to give that portion of the trailers frame a little more heft for strength. I was making sure that is where things would stay before commiting. The lower two bolts which will serve to allow the gin poles to swivel are 1 1/8" bolts/pins that normally hold to the Horizontals on a on the Torque Box of a 707. If it works for Boeing, it works for me. I'm sure they are adequate for what I need.

As the poles are around 95" from pivot hole f/b to the top inside the apex tubing, I figured that the angles would be a little too 'closed' and left things wide stance. The thickness of the f/b on the apex is such that for my self imposed weight limits, I feel the wider stance will put less stress across the width of the trailer. The upper ends of the gin poles butt against the f/b inside. I'm sure that's enough of a 'stop'. The apex assy will just be a slip-on slip-off and not bolted or wedged to the poles. Easier to break down that way.

The final rigging will show the rear chains placed for swinging just over center going forward with the load over the trailer, the front winch and line and Apex chain fall. I'll take the rest of the pics then. Probably Sat, hoping that the meet, snatch and lift will be done Sunday morning if all goes well and also hoping that Arca will not be called into work. He did mention he's on call this weekend.

Paint might not make it on all of the parts this weekend as we are expecting rain today and tomorrow(Sat) and possibly a little Sunday. Of course, I can at least prime things in the shop and heat dry/cure.

I love shiney. I see all of this rigging to be red.

Just a mention, the chains used on this trailer and the other will only be used for these purposes. No sense in possibly stretching a chain pulling something else and having a failure when using the gin poles. I have larger chain for that purpose.

I'm seriously getting low on tubing, of any thickness. Time to start picking up a little more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0022.jpg
Views:	3019
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	103433   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0023.jpg
Views:	3889
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	103434   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0025.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	103435  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 03-22-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:15 AM
Gadget Girl

That's pretty neat.. I've never even heard of Gin poles..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 03-22-2013, 05:23 AM
Lord of the Minions

Jen, down here as well as elsewhere, Gin Pole trucks are cheaper and easier to move around over cranes depending on the specific needs and ability needed.

Gin poles can be winched back in the 'ready to lift' positions and layed forward by winch in the 'travel position'.

Having a gin pole winch truck on the farm is invaluable. Unless you have your own motor crane or A/T F/L.

Oil field gin pole trucks would be found to have 4 front steering wheels and at least 3 prs of rear tires either side under the steel beds and gin poles.

These trucks are heavy and will usually be seen lifting loads that raise the front of the trucks off the ground if not careful with what is picked up. lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gin poles to the rear ready to lift.jpg
Views:	2990
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	103436   Click image for larger version

Name:	gin poles laid foward for travel.jpg
Views:	5662
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	103437  

Last edited by LW Hiway; 03-22-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Lord of the Minions

The rigging Gin Pole has been around probably since before the Egyptians.

This PDF will show you what I know you've seen before in use, possibly in different styles or needs.

Again, I stress the point of this project, it is for a stationary point of lift and not for travel of any kind once the load is hanging in the air. Relying on a 2" ball and hitch to handle that type of load is just plain idiotic and apt to quick failures. As there is some weight moments placed at the hitch of the trailer to the truck, the weight of the trailer forward of the Gin pole pivot points does offset most of what is there. The initial lift of 3k lbs did not change the ride height of the hitch from more than what the rear of the trailer squatted down to rest on the blocks of wood.

That said, the weight of the lathe will be less of a deal for sure. I'm happy with the way this rigging works and even with the F/L for the shop etc for unloading(when it can be used due to weather) picking up loads away from the shop such as this, scrap, or tanks etc etc, will be greatly appreciated by this old man.

I would guess one might add a wheel and hub of worth to either rear end side of the trailer under the lift area for straight forward and aft only, taking the place of the wooden blocks under the rear, but it's just not needed at this time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chapter 5.pdf (5.62 MB, 758 views)

Last edited by LW Hiway; 03-22-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 AM
One Lone Sub

Thats pretty clever. I guess I've seen a few around but never knew what they were called or how they worked.
Archimedes would be proud.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Jen, down here as well as elsewhere, Gin Pole trucks are cheaper and easier to move around over cranes depending on the specific needs and ability needed.

Gin poles can be winched back in the 'ready to lift' positions and layed forward by winch in the 'travel position'.

Having a gin pole winch truck on the farm is invaluable. Unless you have your own motor crane or A/T F/L.

Oil field gin pole trucks would be found to have 4 front steering wheels and at least 3 prs of rear tires either side under the steel beds and gin poles.

These trucks are heavy and will usually be seen lifting loads that raise the front of the trucks off the ground if not careful with what is picked up. lol
Them gin poles are usually tied to a 100,000 # winch driven by 450 - 550 HP... They can easily pick up a D8K by the ripper shank (BTDT) or about 4 - 9" drill collars (think 9" OD and 3" ID by 33' long) at a time.

The heavy bumpers are for towing. Picking the front of the truck up with another will get you almost 1000 HP of pulling power and all manner of traction. With all the drivers chained up, you can walk 200,000# up a 12% grade almost as fast as you can run... BTDT....

Oh, and for travel, most gin pole trucks take the head sheave off and lay the poles into racks on either side of the bed. They typically flip a recessed 5th wheel over and latch onto a 40' oilfield float trailer to carry a load. Their net payload is a bit limited as the bed,winch,pole setup is pretty beefy and heavy.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Gadget Girl

That is really neat.. I never new what it was called nor how it was used..

few years back I went scuba diving at an old granite quarry up in NH..

We made a loop around maybe the size of a modern football field then started to head into deeper water..

As we were making the loop downwards I noticed this pole sticking out of a ledge/dropoff with 4 or 5 cables stretched straight out.. Looked a lot like the picture in the PDF..

Anyhow I knew it was for some sort of crane function I just didn't know how..

The pole was about 50ft long and from what I remember was about 12-16" at the bottom and had some sort of pin sitting in a socket like a needle..

Was neat.. They must have put this in as the last effort since it was the only piece of equipment left in the quarry..

Up here all the quarry's seemed to go out of business all around the same time (within 5-10 years of each other)..

Makes for interesting diving since a lot of them were simply abandoned.

Now a lot of towns fill them in..

Nice project.. I learned something today.. Thank you.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post

A truck like that would be serious overkill for the jobs that I have been involved in.
Way back about 40 or so years ago, I worked on an electrical line crew, and we had a Ford 2 ton truck with a winch and gin poles on it. The gin poles were used to pull out old power poles when the digger truck with the hydraulic pole jack wasn't around. The winch cable was looped around the pole close to the ground, the winch cable was snugged up, and the truck was backed up until it would go no further, more cable was reeled in, and repeat until the pole popped out of the ground. And as in the example Jef talked about, it was easy to pull the front wheels of the truck off the ground, if you got carried away.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein