Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 10-16-2006, 04:22 AM
Director of Languages

whatcha got in the giant white sausages?

lookin good on the slab too
Old 10-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Dodge City Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy
whatcha got in the giant white sausages?

lookin good on the slab too
They're Texas condoms set out to dry....

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 10-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Elite Member

The concrete was done by a local crew. I had talked to one local guy back in May about the project, and gave him the go ahead. Called him in July, he told me he would be there in 3 weeks. 8 weeks later, I got this guy to do the job. I am thinking the difference in work was marginal, but I know I got a better bang for the buck this way I think. I am glad I found a good local guy, and he will be too, as I have some more concrete work for them to do in the future. His forman is a super guy, really on top of things. As for bad finish jobs, one of my dad's friends bought a farm with a shop on it that looked like it had been finished with a 2x4. But I wasn't too worried about that in this job, I figured if they were going to do less than thier best efforts, I would have noticed before the pour started. The forming and grading and tieing would have given that away. And I stopped in to watch them pour a new restaraunt in town a few weeks ago.

The erector guys start a week from today. They had to go do another job while waiting for the concrete here, and are finishing that up.

The "giant white sausages" are bags of silage, corn, wheat and sorghum. Used to feed our dairy cows.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Elite Member

Now, for some more pictures.

Some more pics of my work trenching and placing the conduit, sewer, and plumbing lines. This front part of this builiding will be office and office related storage that no longer fits in our main office. Behind it will be storage for parts, filters, bearings, bolts, and things of that nature. Also in this room will be the electrical panels, transformers, compressor, etc. In here will be a bathroom, and the recessed portion of the concrete you see will be a water room, housing a storage tank and some boster pumps, etc. Thats the reason for the hole in the floor, the plumbing to go outside will be in there. The stairs to the upstairs storage will along the end wall of the storage room. Above will be the air handling unit for the office HVAC, and the rest bulky storage and things that don't care if they get a little neglected and dusty. That covers the front 25x50 of the lean to, and the back 25x50 will be open, just some peirs for the columns. Large equipment parking area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (44).JPG
Views:	312
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	16751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (45).JPG
Views:	277
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	16752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (46).JPG
Views:	278
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	16753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (47).JPG
Views:	273
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	16754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (48).JPG
Views:	333
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	16755  

Old 10-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Elite Member

The insulation came by common carrier last week, and I didn't think there was going to be this much. Luckily I had an empty feed bay for it to be stored out of the weather for a few weeks. The lazy driver opened one back door and took out his spreader bar, laid it in the way, and went back to his cab. I began piling the insulation on some plastic pallets. After climbing in and out of the semi to roll 2 rolls to the back of the trailer, getting out, putting them on the pile, and then repeating, I was glad when the truck was in the way for our feeder, so he came and helped roll them all to the back of the truck.

Back at the slab, the recent rains had filled the footings up with water, telling me that the dirt was packed pretty solid. But, I still wanted to get this poured in reasonable time. Out came the vacuum wagon, commonly used to suck up wet cow manure. Today it gets a break, just runoff water. Half an hour later I had all the footings empty and drying again, some places had 8 inches of water in them. The only reason it took so long was my hose was too short, and I had to keep moving the tractor around to reach places. The rebar work was done now, and the concrete was on order.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shop (49).JPG
Views:	298
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	16756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (50).JPG
Views:	278
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	16757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (51).JPG
Views:	287
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	16758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (52).JPG
Views:	285
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	16759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (53).JPG
Views:	317
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	16760  

Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Elite Member

Just as I was getting the conduits clamped vertical and relatively inline, and the water lines covered up, the concrete was getting poured. I don't have any pics of the finish work, as I was off on a tractor pulling silage trucks through a muddy field in a desperate attempt to get the crop out of the field.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shop (54).JPG
Views:	271
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	16761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (55).JPG
Views:	265
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	16762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (56).JPG
Views:	279
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	16763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (57).JPG
Views:	265
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	16764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop (58).JPG
Views:	311
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	16765  

Old 10-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Lord of the Minions

Bolt, great thread and what looks to be a dream shop in the making. Of course with the operation you guys have, maintenance must be just short of nightmarish if you have to outsource.

Only other thing I can think of to comment on is using a vacuum truck for cow flop. Now that's uptown.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Elite Member

Now I couldn't leave you guys without pictures of the finished concrete for a week. Here's a shot of the lean to poured. And just to fill up some space, a picture of how they put silage in the bags. It's a 425 HP engine with a conveyor an some fingers to pack it in there. The other method involves the heaviest tractor you can find with a blade on it. Put it on a pile in thin layers and compact it well. Cover with plastic and tires or dirt. In this case it's a 535 HP tractor that weighs over 50,000 lbs.

Well that is it for a week, the concrete is done for now, and the building will not start for another week. Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shop (59).JPG
Views:	341
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	16766   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00379 (Medium).JPG
Views:	357
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	16767   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00520 (Medium).JPG
Views:	349
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	16768   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00527 (Medium).JPG
Views:	365
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	16769  
Old 10-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Good show Bolt. Nice shed.

When can we all move in?

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 10-16-2006, 12:58 PM

Just exactly how big is your operation Bolt? Using your tractor as an indicator, I'm assuming fairly large. Is your lean-to going to be the entire length of the shop? Either way, very impressive.

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan