Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 07-17-2019, 03:52 PM
I can dig it

Default Grinding Dust collection

Looking for ideas for containing or collecting the dust from the surface grinder.

My original thought was to hook up a shop vacuum, the issue there is that I don’t know how well they would work/last with hot grinding sparks.

Next thing I’ve looked at would be to add a separator, likely a small cyclone unit like a ‘dust deputy’.

Now I’m wondering if using a magnet, ideally an electro magnet that can be turned on for use, and off for cleanup may be an idea. It won’t get the dust from dressing the wheel, but it should work for the grindings.

Anyone seen anything online, or have any ideas that I can use to come up with something?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 07-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Roving Reporter

Not for grinding dust, but I have seem commercial and home brew cyclonic preseparators for dust. Keeps the big stuff out of the shop vac into a large garbage can or pail leaving the fine filtration to the shop vac.

Some even use a water bath, much the same principle as an oil bath air filter.

Side note: Some time ago, I talked with a guy who worked as a machinist for one of the big 3 for a while. He said it was kind of a mind bender to go from a machine hogging off a lot of material with a chip conveyor filling a dumpster skiff with chips in a day to a grinder that removed a handful of material in a shift......
Old 07-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Looking for ideas for containing or collecting the dust from the surface grinder.

My original thought was to hook up a shop vacuum, the issue there is that I don’t know how well they would work/last with hot grinding sparks.

Next thing I’ve looked at would be to add a separator, likely a small cyclone unit like a ‘dust deputy’.

Now I’m wondering if using a magnet, ideally an electro magnet that can be turned on for use, and off for cleanup may be an idea. It won’t get the dust from dressing the wheel, but it should work for the grindings.

Anyone seen anything online, or have any ideas that I can use to come up with something?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
The welding shop down the road has a baghouse to contain the dust, way too rich for me.

This is a problem that most plasma cnc cutters ponder. I think winding a coil around a steel duct pipe would work for most of it, not the grindstone particles, but steel is the majority. Power it with a battery charger.

There are two types of shop vac. One type runs the exhaust air over the motor for cooling, and the other has a motor fan and the dirty air is separated from the electrics.

The Theil system, cyclonic separator thing works well to separate larger particles, which you don't have. Sparks may burn pinholes in a filter, so some form of separation ahead of filtration is good..

The magnetic idea sounds like a good one, and if you did not want to wind a coil around a pipe, you may be able to use the windings of a electric motor gutted out and power up one coil with DC. Just run the pipe through the center.

Or try these 18 dollar cyclones and see if they work

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 PM
Lubrication Consultant

I use an old 45-gallon craftsman shop vacuum with the cyclone system Gerry pointed out in his post... I use it in a 5-gallon bucket as the separator works well for the most part in collecting dust and particles some of it gets away but not a lot... all of it is collected in the separator, never in the shop vacuum.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!