Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 07-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Another project have to make out of Aluminum this time

I have to make 26 of these by tomorrow for my brother. and need a little advice
RPM/milling speed, how many flutes for the endmill for milling Aluminum...??

The plan is to use a long piece of square stock measure and cut all my down cuts/slices and keep it all together... then set it up in the mill and mill out my pieces the sections needing to be cut away... then separate them and measure for holes to be drilled.

and after that, I think I can just cut the angle or create the angle by using my hoof nippers or throat shear.

Then finish them off with the die filer...

the sliding pieces I figure I can just cut in throat shear and drill a hole and then mill the slot out and a little filing to clean up the edges...

Getting too hot to fart around in the shop right now so will have to wait till it cools down some things evening to start on them...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1990.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	151494Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1991.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	151495Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1992.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	151496Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1989.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	151497

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 07-14-2019, 12:57 PM

Just curious what they are for. May be some type of door lock fixture?

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 PM
SFT Historian

First you have to assess the tooling for the job.
Big issue is what do you have to cut the slot, 1/8" width I assume.? can you change that to 1/4"?

1/8" EM generally have 3/8" maybe 1/2" cutting depth. have any slitting saws for the mill?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010516.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	151499  
Old 07-14-2019, 02:24 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
...have any slitting saws for the mill?
Yeah, cutting the slot will be the "defining" operation of the project. Gonna be tough to cut a 1/8" slot that deep with an end mill--a slitting saw would definitely be the way to go.

Personally I'd cut all the pieces to length and machine them individually. Cut out the two corners and then stand the piece up in the vise so the tang that sticks out is sitting in a horizontal position and run a slitting saw through to make the slot. (If you have a horizontal mill you could, of course, mill the slot with the part lying down but I don't think that's the case.)

Cutting the angles is a bit of a problem too. Ideally you would use an adjustable angle vise to cut them--one of the few times when a vise like that would be handy--otherwise you can make a little fixture that clamps in the vise to hold the parts at a 45 deg. angle. Of course your last option is to just sand the corners to create the angle--depends on how precise you need to be. I'd probably also just sand the radius on the ends of the flats...

Just wanted to add a thought. If you have a small, accurate drill press vise with machined sides you can clamp it in you mill vise at the correct angle and use it to machine the angles--more than one way to skin a cat...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 07-14-2019, 03:30 PM
The Real Deal

They could be welded
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bracket.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	151510  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:53 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
Just curious what they are for. May be some type of door lock fixture?
Rear Drawer locking latches for my brother's toolboxes in his work van
so that his drawers will quite slide out and dumping his parts and tools all over the place... I have already redesigned the lock positioners and locking pins/rods... he was super happy with that so now wants me to redo these they are diecast crap and most are broke from the drawers just sliding back and forth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
First you have to assess the tooling for the job.
Big issue is what do you have to cut the slot, 1/8" width I assume.? can you change that to 1/4"?

1/8" EM generally have 3/8" maybe 1/2" cutting depth. have any slitting saws for the mill?
I've got some that I use to cut keyways but, But all are too wide or too shallow in-depth for the slit.
I have a thin 3" slitting saw but don't have an Arbor for it... and have never the time to sit there and make one...but don't have time to order one either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Yeah, cutting the slot will be the "defining" operation of the project. Gonna be tough to cut a 1/8" slot that deep with an end mill--a slitting saw would definitely be the way to go.

Personally I'd cut all the pieces to length and machine them individually. Cut out the two corners and then stand the piece up in the vise so the tang that sticks out is sitting in a horizontal position and run a slitting saw through to make the slot. (If you have a horizontal mill you could, of course, mill the slot with the part lying down but I don't think that's the case.)

Cutting the angles is a bit of a problem too. Ideally you would use an adjustable angle vise to cut them--one of the few times when a vise like that would be handy--otherwise you can make a little fixture that clamps in the vise to hold the parts at a 45 deg. angle. Of course your last option is to just sand the corners to create the angle--depends on how precise you need to be. I'd probably also just sand the radius on the ends of the flats...

Just wanted to add a thought. If you have a small, accurate drill press vise with machined sides you can clamp it in you mill vise at the correct angle and use it to machine the angles--more than one way to skin a cat...
Yep, I figured the slit is going to be the challenging part of them for sure...
So having no slitting saw, I'm going to have to ("wingnut it" The Ole Scratch my head and butt a few times I'm sure trying different things) And see what works the best...

Old 07-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
They could be welded
That would be an idea, but I would prolly have to pin rivet them together being so small...

Whichever way I can get it to work and come out... fair enough I'll let yall know...

Still wondering if I should use a 2 or 3 flute end mill with this and a roundabouts RPM I should run it at.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:08 PM
The Real Deal

Can't you just use a piece of angle or maybe two?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:28 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Can't you just use a piece of angle or maybe two?
Yes, I'm sure I can... and would be the way it gets done if I have any say so, but depends on his stubbornness to either go the easy route or the hard route...

Old 07-14-2019, 06:48 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Still wondering if I should use a 2 or 3 flute end mill with this and a roundabouts RPM I should run it at.
There is more to it than that.

In theory 2 and 3 flute should be good for AL. try the 3 flute first..... has to do with how thick the web is so it does not pack the chips.

IN theory if all is perfect a 1/2" EM in Aluminum you can run up around 1800 RPM with a good coolant flow.
also has to do with how well you can feed it for a good chip load so it doesn't chatter.

If the EM gets too hot cut your rpm.

In my case with my small mill the issue is torque and I have to keep the belt on its lower side about 440 rpm and I can take a Fairly large cut without growling.

I Also have a tight spindle and it runs hot above 1200 rpm.

I'm guessing you may end up around 700 rpm or less. go by the sound and heat.
assuming you have a good tight setup and vise.

And
Danger! ....... DO NOT Climb mill.

Last edited by GWIZ; 07-14-2019 at 06:58 PM.