Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I guess what you are proposing is a sliding gate valve as opposed to the pivoting gate valve I have made...
No, it would still be a pivot gate. The handle would just enter into a "C" shaped notch when closed. Just a thought.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
The contractor was required to put them in every cell, prior to pouring the tie beam, to stop the mud from filling each cell.

RED
By "tie beam" I expect you mean what I know to be called a bond beam.

I plan to get around the issue of filling the lower blocks by using a bond beam block that is not open on the bottom. My plan is to drill holes in the bottom to pass the vertical rebar through and then tie them to the horizontal bars.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Post Fiend

How about a scaffold with a wheelbarrow and chute?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLNG View Post
No, it would still be a pivot gate. The handle would just enter into a "C" shaped notch when closed. Just a thought.
I now understand.

Did you notice the "U" shaped strap around the handle shaft? This strap prevents the handle from moving beyond its elastic state. This essentialy accomplishes the same as your C notch.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:49 AM
Director of Languages

I'm guessing we'd call it a ring beam..... a course of poured concrete on top of the blockwork to tie everything together right?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
How about a scaffold with a wheelbarrow and chute?
This would be something I might consider if I didn't have a TLB (tractor/loader/backhoe).

I am actually planning to use the backhoe, this way I can have three dimensional positioning. The loader will only offer two dimensions.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
I'm guessing we'd call it a ring beam..... a course of poured concrete on top of the blockwork to tie everything together right?
Yes, and the horizontal reinforcing rod that goes with it.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:00 PM
Da Chief

Ah yup, just my northern redneck English showing. Yes, an 18 inch high, block width, concrete pour, tied to every cell. Full pour in cells with rebar, short pour in the rest.

The inspector was a retired finish carpenter that knew everything there was to know, hired a week after Katrina, fired a month after Charlie. We are still living with some of the really stupid rules enacted during this time. Fortunately, I'm out of the building business...

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Elite Member

After testing this contraption I found the basic idea was good however a few design changes should be considered by anyone wishing to make one.

Consideration should be made to the height. If mine was any taller I would have had difficulty loading it from the mixer I was using. I considered digging a shallow depression next to the mixer to lower it but it was not necessary.

It would have been nice to have the pot free standing so I could load it by myself. I could do the rest of the job alone but I needed help transferring the concrete from the mixer to the pot.

The gate valve detent was too light. There were times when I lost control of the valve especially when the pot was being loaded. With the valve on the ground it was too easy for it to open as the weight increased. Also the hinge pin had a tendency to collect dirt/mud. Again, a stand of sorts could have been made to correct these problems.

A larger tank would have allowed me to fill more than three cells per load. My backhoe has the capacity to lift more, taking advantage of that capacity would have helped the work progress faster. I am considering making another one from a propane tank for use on a future job.

By far the biggest issue was the shelf that was created at the bottom of the pot when I cut the hole for the valve. This shelf was a consistent restriction to the flow of concrete, especially when the mix was a bit dry. Making the side taper like a funnel would have been much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	151165  

Old 06-18-2019, 09:21 AM
Elite Member

A significant benefit was realized by being able to open the valve in both directions. Occasionally the pot was out of ideal position. I sometimes was able to feed concrete to one side or the other by changing the direction of the valve. This saved me from having to climb back on to the backhoe to make adjustments.

Positioning the funnel in between two cells allowed me to fill both at the same time. This was a huge time saver!

Not shown is a side view of the funnel.

When viewed from the side one will notice the angle pieces that straddles the block are longer on one side. This allows me to move the funnel in tight to the corner without interference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	151166