Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 11-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

If you are talking about a molded fiberglass enclosure with mud under it then yes you can use that fitting. Just keep the mud away from the drain.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I know you're trying to save a few bucks, but I would highly recommend hiring out any trades that are required to meet the National Building Code.
Its really not worth the long term aggravation to save what will amount to maybe an additional $10,000 in labor costs.

Spend the money and put the liability on them.
This is some of the best advice ever given. Even if it means a little bigger mortgage.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:37 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

build an outside shower for now,easy and cheap.

Heres the deal,if you can save the money and generate the money fast enough to build the lace,do it that way.

But,if your income level is too low/slow you may be smart to borrow the money and get in the house part of the building.

I'm a cash guy.
I like to pay my way.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

I think ill just stick with paying as I go. Lesson here is I should have gotten a legitimate plumbing company to do the work and a signed contract.

Here's how things stand before it all turns into a swamp again.

I added why fittings where I had put The fittings. The green pipe is the sleeve for the waste line through the foundation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181104_172926809_HDR.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	148040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181104_172959021_HDR.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	148041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181104_173033060_HDR.jpg
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	148042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181104_173015599_HDR.jpg
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	148043  
Old 11-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Is it normal to put a trap in or under the concrete? I always put the traps where I can get at them to clean out clogs of soap jelly and hair.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
I think ill just stick with paying as I go. Lesson here is I should have gotten a legitimate plumbing company to do the work and a signed contract.

Here's how things stand before it all turns into a swamp again.

I added why fittings where I had put The fittings. The green pipe is the sleeve for the waste line through the foundation.
You know, this is part of building skills. You now know way more about plumbing than when you started, and if you had this knowledge to start with, those two guys that raped you for the drain system in the beginning would not have got off.
The best way to gather info is to go around and watch and inspect other peoples plumbing under their houses. I have learned a ton seeing how other plumbing and wiring is done.
Some things are regulations, and some things are common sense.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 11-04-2018, 10:52 PM
I can dig it

Working here at the new house, I took a light fixture down the other day. Two ground wires were wrapped around the mounting screw of the box instead of using the ground screw in the box. Yes it’ll ‘work’ but it isn’t right. Sometimes the rules have to be ‘bent’ to make things work, however judgement and exerience come into play.

The more that you do, see done, etc, the more knowledge and skill that you build for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 11-05-2018, 12:11 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
Is it normal to put a trap in or under the concrete? I always put the traps where I can get at them to clean out clogs of soap jelly and hair.
Terry, do it all the time, showers and floor drains in locker rooms are just one place, mechanical and boiler rooms are another. The traps have to be below floor level for the drain to work.
I plumbed a buddies new house, it had a block foundation but no basement, all the soil piping had to installed before the slab was poured. His wife has a neuro-muscular disorder, and their old house would not work for her in another year or two.
I am happy to say that all the stub ups hit their positions in the plans. One stub up(3") was in the middle of the hallway, the framing crew was having a fit about it. So I drove over there and showed them the plumbing drawing, it showed a clean out there. The cleanout fitting had not been installed before the concrete was poured as there cannot be any trip hazards in the house.
The kitchen, the powder room, the master bathroom, the mudroom and the laundry room all have floor drains. All have traps. The tub and shower in the master bath both have under slab traps. They were installed to the engineers drawing. I did change from 2" to 3" on several of the drains as 2" would not drain the 100gal. therapy tub efficiently. The floor drains were installed before theslab was poured, except the strainer was not as it had to be a no trip installation also, I cut disc's out of foam board to cover them.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Something's Fishy ...

The question I have is how do you clean those traps when they get clogged with grease hair and soap that has gelled in the trap?
Looking at the pictures it appears that there is room for the traps above the slab.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Traps clean pretty easy with a snake, I frown on drain cleaners but sometimes they are the only option. To install the trap above the slab you would have to raise the shower base up allow it to be serviced. They make an auger type snake that work well for cleaning 2" and smaller pipe runs.
To prevent the clog in the first place, I suggest pouring hot(nearly boiling) water down the problem drains, once a month. A tea kettle full usually is enough to send the grease, hair and make up down the drain. Flush with hot tap water to insure that the gunk goes down the line to the bigger piping where it can be carried away.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank