Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-17-2020, 11:49 AM

Default Welding helmets

Hey guys what is a good auto darking welding helmet I seen ones starting at 30.00 not sure if there any good as far as eye protection.This is just.for home use mild auto repair maybe under 300.00 bucks.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:39 PM
Post Fiend

Avoid the "cheapie" $30 auto-dark welding helmets. The rate at which they darken is far too slow for most welding processes--meaning you will see the arc before the helmet darkens. Arc-flash is not good...

I have a Lincoln I got at Home Depot for $125 or so and have been happy with the performance. About my only issue is I had to pull the adjustment knob off because I kept hitting it inadvertently besides the post turns easy enough without a knob.

There will be others here who have experience with other helmets and will advise you on those. With a $300 budget you should be able to get a quality helmet that will last you a lifetime.

BTW, Welcome Aboard!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 10-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

My brother, my son and I have all had a couple of the Miller Digital Elite helmets and they've all worked well. Haven't bought any for a while but I think they're in the $200 range--should be well within your budget in Yankee dollars...

https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/h...helmets-m00471

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 10-17-2020, 03:33 PM
Auction Addict

How is your eyesight, glasses, cheaters for reading? It can make a difference in the one you choose.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:44 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I use "$30" helmets, and have used them for a long time. My first autodark was a Miller, and when it crapped out, I bought an Esab, and when it crapped out, I realized that I had spent half a paycheck (in those days), on nothing good. Once the cheap autos came out, I switched to them, which under normal vision, not dark, claim to have a shade 7 rating.
I have never had a flash burn from them.
I have never had any fail, except once when I left it out in the rain. That is a bad thing with the $30's. I would assume the $3-500 dollar jobs have a watertight case, but I wouldn't put money on it.

My only complaint, (and that is slowly being addressed)is that they do not have a good system,if any at all, for attaching cheater lenses. And I need them.
I used double sided tape for a few years to hold them on, and I just bought a new helmet from Princess that does have a spring clip system for the cheaters.

LWHyway did an autopsy on an expensive Miller? helmet and autopsied a cheap chinese autodark, and shockingly both the Chinese and US helmets have the same circuit boards and components with the same serial numbers inside.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-17-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
How is your eyesight, glasses, cheaters for reading? It can make a difference in the one you choose.
I do wear glasses but there for far away type stuff
Old 10-17-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
My brother, my son and I have all had a couple of the Miller Digital Elite helmets and they've all worked well. Haven't bought any for a while but I think they're in the $200 range--should be well within your budget in Yankee dollars...

https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/h...helmets-m00471
I'll.check out these millers
Old 10-17-2020, 06:07 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

A friend suggested this, and I try to do it every time.

Simply close your eyes for the brief time while striking the arc.

Much easier than the old flip down helmets, and the cheaper helmets might
have a slower reaction time, but it goes right out the window with the blink technique.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:12 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I found LW's link

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-17-2020, 07:21 PM

I've been very happy with my Lincoln Viking helmet. If it stopped working, I would buy another one, that's how much I like it. I also have a Fibre-Metal Tiger Hood that I use occasionally and an old Jackson Shadow that I seldom use at all as the headgear sucks.

I would rather use a passive helmet than trust my eyes to an El Cheapo HF helmet.