Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-05-2020, 03:58 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
What doo I think ?
I think your nothing but a spammer.

If you are real, the article you linked to deals with a very rare welding process, nothing your going to be doing at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
The POINT is simple.

The linked document deals with "Electron Beam Welding".
Something no one here does.

It's done in a vacuum chamber, and uses no flux nor filler.

Stick welding, flux core welding, or even solid wire MIG (or TIG)
would float out those impurities and deposit them in the slag.

Which is what happens all the time with us that weld.

and the OP has not returned to further explain.
What "doo" I think? I think you're fucking high. There is exactly one reference to electron beam welding in that article - and it was to illustrate the stark differences in forgiveness with different welding processes. Perhaps you just didn't comprehend that.

Aluminum Oxide very well can cause inclusions, but as everyone here has said, for the back yard welder and even most professionals it simply isn't a concern. With aluminum in particular your risk of oxide inclusions is MUCH higher by not grinding the oxide layer off prior to welding than it is by using AlO grinding consumables.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:25 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
We can't protect against them all, but that's who I most actively am hunting on a daily basis.
Are YOU the sniffer now, Dub? If so, thank you!

Lately, my main concern is NATIONAL snoopers, looking to read the "members only" section and derive incriminating info. A bit "conspiracisty" but you know what I mean NOT that anyone has anything to hide...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 08-05-2020, 06:06 PM
Elite Member

digger doug, I think you are right on the money. The OP posted once and hasn't logged back on to check and reply.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:16 PM
Blast this!

I remember Rod used to cuss the russian IP addresses . Now it is the Chinee .I guess the gut probably feels if it is right or not .
Old 08-06-2020, 02:08 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
What "doo" I think? I think you're fucking high. There is exactly one reference to electron beam welding in that article - and it was to illustrate the stark differences in forgiveness with different welding processes. Perhaps you just didn't comprehend that.

Aluminum Oxide very well can cause inclusions, but as everyone here has said, for the back yard welder and even most professionals it simply isn't a concern. With aluminum in particular your risk of oxide inclusions is MUCH higher by not grinding the oxide layer off prior to welding than it is by using AlO grinding consumables.

I can say what I believe, and you can too.

so KMA.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:20 AM
Twice the size--half the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Are YOU the sniffer now, Dub? If so, thank you!
Yessir. I underwent a rigorous week long training and BS session with the man himself. I was gifted super secret access to stuff no mere mortal can handle alone, so his daily 'tasks' were split about 3 different directions. I'm not as quick on the draw at reviewing the new members as he would have liked, but I'm also of the opinion that they can't do any damage if they're sitting in limbo. Plus, Earl isn't nearly as enlightened with electronics as Wilson was

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
I remember Rod used to cuss the russian IP addresses . Now it is the Chinee .I guess the gut probably feels if it is right or not .
Hah, the Ruskies are still out there but it's a pretty simple one to snag. I think Rod's issue with them was that they were so similar and never changed their methods. Maybe that's a good thing as it makes them easier to spot, or maybe it is a distraction to allow the others in the hacking herd to come from a different direction.

This morning's visitor claimed a US residence but in reality was from Bangladesh.

The OP that started all this may well be who/what he claims, but indeed has not been back (I can see that too). After a while, all these one-timers and simple registrations will be removed from the system but we like to give them a chance. There are HUNDREDS of folks who just roll through SFT to enjoy our light banter while drinking their morning coffee and never feel the need to say anything. I'd much rather have a million lurkers than trolls.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 08-09-2020, 06:48 PM

Default Hey

Thanks for the replies.

Minus the idiot calling me a spammer, or anyone trashing Canada...

I was looking at buying an abrasive chop saw for my garage, a band saw, or one of those chop saws with a carbide toothed blade.

I'm an electrician by trade, I routinely have to think about things that may not be immediately obvious. I am also interested in chemistry. I got to thinking about how an abrasive blade functions, and the temperatures achieved in that cutting process, and thought maybe there was something to it. Then I found that article, and this forum, thought it would be worth an ask.

Although there is a reference to electron beam welding in the article, I had butt welding friction cut pieces (mig or tig) in mind when I asked the question.

Thanks to anyone who provided actual helpful information.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:20 PM
Blast this!

Well don't make yourself miss a week after 1st post. Some of us get concerned. Welcome ,we like pictures ,just use attachments as a lot of our members are still on dialups or low DSL lines..
Old 08-10-2020, 05:45 AM

Default oxide deposits

I just purchased a Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw, runs great and cuts just about anything..really blows your mind the first piece of steel you cut,very little cleanup grinding required,thus no deposits..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix365 View Post
or one of those chop saws with a carbide toothed blade.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix365 View Post
Minus the idiot calling me a spammer, or anyone trashing Canada...

I was looking at buying an abrasive chop saw for my garage, a band saw, or one of those chop saws with a carbide toothed blade.
BTW, welcome aboard. You'll find Canada well-represented here. I don't think you'll find many idiots, but maybe assholes!

I think to answer your original inquiry: an abrasive chop saw cuts/melts through steel. In theory, it could leave a little bit of itself behind in the metal being cut but for normal intents and purposes don't worry about it.

That said, you should clean up the cuts with a flap disk, knock off any slag or meltage, try to get a nice, tight fit-up before welding.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...