Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-09-2020, 08:43 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Default An old project

I was given a 1973 Mercedes 220D for scrap or repair.
My wife and I went for a Sunday drive to see it. We decided to wait til the snow melted to go get it.
It was driven til 1987 and then parked in this steel building with no windows. It has air in the original tires.
I was really concerned about the clutch rusting to the flywheel as I have dealt with that before. It was able to disengage fine.
So I ordered 4 shocks, and 4 sets of brake pads, and all filters from Rockauto.
Now to fast forward to the present.
I have drained all the fluids except the rear end. That is wet and needs a look at.
I have a bit over 5 gallons of fuel in the fuel tank. That is a little less that 1/2 tank.
The tank has a bottom drain plug, and I loosened the plug to see if any water came out, and only diesel came through the threads.

I am wondering if I should dump the fuel tank and go with fresh fuel. I know diesel is stable for years, but 32 years may be too far out there. It is also the old high sulpher fuel so should stink nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnfind 1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	155978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnfind 2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	155979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnfind 3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	155980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnfind 4.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	155981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnfind 5.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	155982  

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson

Last edited by Ironman; 05-09-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:43 AM

The interior looks pretty nice and it has the manual tranny which everyone wants. With the automatic the old joke is that you have to keep a pair of binoculars on the passenger seat to watch for an opening in traffic before you pull out. I drove a 1987 300D Turbo for 21 years. The early Mercedes (pre 90s) are great running machines and there isn't anything on them you can't fix yourself. That car will go a long ways on a gallon of fuel and it has the safety of riding around in a tank. Personally I wouldn't take chance on the fuel, can you burn it in a shop heater or something? I got algae in my 300 once and pulled the tank and flushed it along with the fuel system up to the secondary filter which is pretty efficient, nothing got through. Keeping a clear pre-filter is a good way to keep an eye on fuel contamination. If you want the best forum there is for the diesel Mercedes go here: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/
Old 05-09-2020, 09:52 AM

Lucky you don't have the sunroof, they become a liability rather than an asset on these cars. What's the odometer read?
Old 05-09-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Lucky you don't have the sunroof, they become a liability rather than an asset on these cars. What's the odometer read?
Yeah, my wife's favorite trick on our '87 300SD was to pull in, park, leave the sunroof open and then it would rain. Then the surprise of wet seats. I pulled the fuse and that really pissed her off, but after a year of no sunroof she remembers.

This '73 has 88,000 miles on it.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 05-09-2020, 10:31 AM

ah so you are not new to the Mercedes diesel world. Are you a member over at Peach Parts?
Old 05-09-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
ah so you are not new to the Mercedes diesel world. Are you a member over at Peach Parts?
No, not a member. I haven't needed help on the '82. I am very familiar with diesels....Except for the present issue. Everything is vacuum, door locks, heater, trans shifting, spaghetti tubing everywhere, and the goddamn engine is a vacuum shutoff as well. Which doesn't shut off 50% of the time. replaced the vac pump which was pricy, but the bs continues.

I am pleased to see the only vacuum accessory on the '73 is power brakes. Cable shutdown, manual windows, all in all basic foolproof tech.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:25 AM

hmmm, assuming you already replaced the diaphragm in the shutoff solenoid? On my 87 the tranny leaked onto the vacuum line and would rot it out every so often, when that would happen it would affect a slew of vacuum related issues due to the leak. I replaced all the dash pods on that car which was no fun but it brought the HVAC back to proper operation. I am most familiar with the OM603 in the 124 chassis and have limited experience on the 123s.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:54 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Draining the fuel tank...well it has a plug so the job is quick & easy.

How much trouble doo you want to get into by cheapening out on 5 gallons of old fuel ?

I keep dirty diesel and parts cleaning Kero in a bucket for brush fires.

I call it "slush", and that's what it gets used for.

I would go so far as removing the filters and pumping the hand pump (if it's like my tractor) so good fuel is all the way up.

After a new filter is in, continued hand pumping should probably push the new fuel all the way back thru the return line, so you'll have given this engine all the care you could (without pulling injectors)
Old 05-09-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Draining the fuel tank...well it has a plug so the job is quick & easy.

How much trouble doo you want to get into by cheapening out on 5 gallons of old fuel ?

I keep dirty diesel and parts cleaning Kero in a bucket for brush fires.

I call it "slush", and that's what it gets used for.

I would go so far as removing the filters and pumping the hand pump (if it's like my tractor) so good fuel is all the way up.

After a new filter is in, continued hand pumping should probably push the new fuel all the way back thru the return line, so you'll have given this engine all the care you could (without pulling injectors)
I have the filters and that was the plan.
I know of 20,000 gallons of diesel that the gov't wanted to sell from the Prairie Creek mine and it sat for 12 years, they tested it as good. So I had to think on it.
Not like I am running out of things to do.
I'm due for a diesel bath today anyway

Old 05-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
hmmm, assuming you already replaced the diaphragm in the shutoff solenoid? On my 87 the tranny leaked onto the vacuum line and would rot it out every so often, when that would happen it would affect a slew of vacuum related issues due to the leak. I replaced all the dash pods on that car which was no fun but it brought the HVAC back to proper operation. I am most familiar with the OM603 in the 124 chassis and have limited experience on the 123s.
I haven't done any of the above. I'm getting too old to get up off the floor if I get under a vehicle now. One of these days I'll feed the tools to my nephew and con him into doing it.
I know it's fixable, just need the round tuit.