Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 06-26-2020, 11:34 PM
Elite Member

Wow four years passed, and I thought I would have the building nearly finished in two? Some significant changes have been made since I started this thread.

Like all of my projects this one has escalated into a real challenge. I simply am not satisfied unless there is a significant amount of difficulty or effort in most anything I do.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:55 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Wow four years passed, and I thought I would have the building nearly finished in two? Some significant changes have been made since I started this thread.

Like all of my projects this one has escalated into a real challenge. I simply am not satisfied unless there is a significant amount of difficulty or effort in most anything I do.
What issues came up? Did you go bigger? We need some pics.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:05 AM
Elite Member

OK "threepiece" how did you have a sig line about Covid 19 in posts 8 and 10 with a date of 2016 ??? Some time travel involved here.???
...lew...
Old 06-27-2020, 09:10 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
OK "threepiece" how did you have a sig line about Covid 19 in posts 8 and 10 with a date of 2016 ??? Some time travel involved here.???
...lew...
He has a crystal ball
but when you change a sig line it alters the line in all stored previous posts.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 06-27-2020, 05:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What issues came up?
Issues? Oh boy!

After spending nearly $7000 in rental fees and excavating about 300 cubic yards of earth I decided to relocate the build sight. That was three years ago. The sight was on a hillside and was too steep. I could see later that I was going to have issues with drainage, back fill pressure and ramp length (for the second floor).

I wasted a whole year and I haven’t even begun to patch the scar I made on my land. I sometimes give the impression that I know what I am doing and sometimes I do but I fooled a few that know me including myself on this abomination. I have too little experience doing this type of work. I should have taken more time to think and talk with others that do.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Did you go bigger? q
Indeed, it is now 32x56x12.5. Since the barn also grew in complexity I considered the possibility I may not have time to build a second building so a workshop it will be as well as for storage.
It also is no longer pole construction. It has a 4’ concrete block wall and 8.5 feet of stud wall.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:48 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
He has a crystal ball.
Funny you should say that. I consider myself privy to the steps that have been put in place to take our rights away, especially in the last two decades as we have woven computers into our society. I did not however see the GIANT step of covid coming. Hindsight is 2020 and it’s now is obvious that this be the next step, I just didn’t realize it would be this early in the game.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:21 AM
Elite Member

The build sight.

I bought this John Deere 110TLB so I have no longer a need to rent excavating equipment. A versatile machine it is. It has an integrated loader with a quick attach and a backhoe that detaches in a few minutes. With the hoe removed three point links can be attached and other equipment can be used with or without PTO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	385396D0-3336-4942-88DC-4448D9F64636.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	156652  

Old 06-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
The build sight.

I bought this John Deere 110TLB so I have no longer a need to rent excavating equipment. A versatile machine it is. It has an integrated loader with a quick attach and a backhoe that detaches in a few minutes. With the hoe removed three point links can be attached and other equipment can be used with or without PTO.
Buying instead of renting is often financially better. Especially if you sell it, for more than you paid, after you are done.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:04 PM
Elite Member

The two concrete suppliers in the area were booked for two weeks. I was told the only way to get delivery sooner is with a cancellation. With the footings ready to pour and using my vacation time from work to do this job I had to take the opening that popped up the next day. There was little wondering why the opportunity presented itself, few would choose to pour concrete with a temperature over 100 degrees F and a constant threat of rain. What a day... I almost didn’t make it.... twice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	553FEDEB-8ACB-45A4-9A89-95DF87CC1915.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	156670