SFT Search:   

Old 10-05-2020, 01:59 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Just as I asked it, they sound to be threatening you with kicking you out
from the class.

Why ?

And why would you put up with that behavior ?
Not saying this is the current case

Some of the programs were paid by the State or old employer
Called, Job re-training so you can get a job in a different field. being your old field is pretty much dead.

But once you get "any" job you are considered working and don't need the assistance any more. they take the credit for getting you a job when they did nothing.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:31 PM

Although it may sound stupid, I have a serious question for all you experienced welders.

In addition to my eyesight being awful, the amount of glare inside my welding helmet makes seeing what the heck I'm doing even more challenging.

I feel as if I simply placed a towel over the back of my head and helmet that I would eliminate all that light coming in, reducing all that glare. Obviously, a towel would not be ideal, so I'm wondering if there is a specific product to solve the glare issue or if there is a decent workaround that any of you have found.

The shop that we are training in had very bright lights that are strategically placed above each welding bay. While I like having a lot of light to weld by, having it directly overhead sucks, as when I look down to weld, all that light comes right in through the back of my helmet.

I'm assuming I can't be alone in experiencing this issue.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

The PAPR hoods have a cloak around them to help with air flow to the belt. Perhaps you could look at one of those for inspiration. I have a black stallion neck flap that clips go mine to protect my neck, maybe they make something for the top of the hood.

Sent from my mobile device using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 10-06-2020, 05:55 AM
Administrator

A coworker made up a piece of leather that would clip to the back of his helmet that would draped over the back of his helmet when he was welding outside. I think it just snapped on. You will want something flame resistant with arc welding for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 10-06-2020, 07:35 AM
I can dig it

I’ve even seen the cuff of a leather glove duct taped to helmets to act as a light/arc flash block.

Even a puffy cotton hood of a sweatshirt may help if you get it into the right position.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Old 10-06-2020, 08:31 AM
Elite Member

Pancake hoods were developed to allow welding even in bright sunlight.

Pancake Hoods

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
pancake hoods were developed to allow welding even in bright sunlight.

pancake hoods
x2
Old 10-12-2020, 10:11 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Although it may sound stupid, I have a serious question for all you experienced welders.

In addition to my eyesight being awful, the amount of glare inside my welding helmet makes seeing what the heck I'm doing even more challenging.

I feel as if I simply placed a towel over the back of my head and helmet that I would eliminate all that light coming in, reducing all that glare. Obviously, a towel would not be ideal, so I'm wondering if there is a specific product to solve the glare issue or if there is a decent workaround that any of you have found.

The shop that we are training in had very bright lights that are strategically placed above each welding bay. While I like having a lot of light to weld by, having it directly overhead sucks, as when I look down to weld, all that light comes right in through the back of my helmet.

I'm assuming I can't be alone in experiencing this issue.
All my welding is done outside. Dedicated stick welder. Seems I am facing west in the morning and east in the afternoon. Fighting the bright sun coming in the back of my hood all the time.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
All my welding is done outside. Dedicated stick welder. Seems I am facing west in the morning and east in the afternoon. Fighting the bright sun coming in the back of my hood all the time.
I know your pain. Five out of the last six years I managed Chase Bank remodels throughout Michigan.

The bulk of them were in Detroit, as they have more banks than anywhere else in the State.

I would always by driving East in the morning from the West coast (best coast) over to Detroit and then my drives home heading West were always in the late afternoon/early evenings.

I'd be driving straight into the sun both ways. Luckily, not much sun in the Winter months here, but the glare off the snow is brutal for me even in low-light conditions.