Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-09-2020, 06:45 AM
Below Wholesale

Default Upgrading 250DX?

My $400 250DX should be showing up Monday morning. I will have to see if it actually runs first obviously, but I did notice its a poverty model which I would like to change.

I see there are add-on modules for the pulser and sequencer. Is it as easy as popping in the appropriate modules and that's it?
I definitely would want the pulser, never had a sequencer before...not even sure I would use it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	250dx.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	157966  
Old 10-10-2020, 12:35 AM
Post Fiend

I had one very similar to that and it was a creampuff owned by an ex-cop who only tinkered with it here and there. Mine had the cooler underneath and a like-new Miller "Diamond"? #20 torch. Used it a little bit and was contemplating the add-on board--I forget how much it was. Couple/few hundred? Had a good offer on it that put $500 extra in my pocket and away it went. $2500 I got for it about 10 years ago. I bought a Thermal Arc inverter machine and while not nearly as powerful (185A) it was about 1/10 the size and weight of the Miller.

Anyhow, I downloaded the directions for the board (which you should do) and it seemed fairly straightforward. Remove the panel or cover, pop the board in and secure it, plug it into the main board and put the knobs on, something like that.

BTW,

YOU SUCK!!!

PS: so where've you been, man?

PPS: did it come with those leads?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 10-10-2020, 07:15 AM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post

PS: so where've you been, man?

PPS: did it come with those leads?

I stop in every now and then. The last couple years have been flat out busy...life gets in the way.
Yep, the leads came with it as well as the cart. Even if it has something wrong with it I think I did ok I'll have pics of the consumables I bought next week, its disgusting really.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:48 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
Even if it has something wrong with it I think I did ok I'll have pics of the consumables I bought next week, its disgusting really.
I'd like to see a pic of it "detailed". I've done very good with auction welders over the years. Usually double my money. Clean 'em up in and out, test them, sell them under power, maybe even give a lesson to make the sale.

Go to millerwelds.com with the serial number and download all the manuals. There is something to be said about tigging with a transformer TIG machine. Make sure it has a good power supply going in.

You'll need a TIG torch cooler if you want to take advantage of the power. A #20 torch is good for 250A but if you are going to do a lot in the higher range a #18 (350?A) would be better but it is a fat torch.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...