Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-29-2020, 07:36 AM
Below Wholesale

Default Insane Auction prices and more importanly, how to move surface grinder

I absolutely raped an auction in Maine yesterday. After pretty much giving up on auctions in past years I was pretty surprised at the prices things were going for and spent accordingly.

First and most important. I picked up a Norton 6x12 surface grinder. It needs to make a 7 hour trip home. In the past I have used a block of wood lightly but firmly between the spindle and table. Is that the best way?

Some of the treasures
250DX, put a bottle on and go. $400
Kurt D650 $175
6x12 surface grinder $150
Koike track torch with 12' of tracks $100
Dumore tool post grinder $100
Delta tool grinder $50
Bunch of specialty SKF bearing pullers and installers $400
Doall 6" belt 12" disc sander $150
Delta (not a consumer model) 6" belt sander $35
4' wall cabinet chocked full of ox fuel torches, tig consumables $200
I'm not even sure what exactly I bought for micrometers they kept rolling lots into each other, but for sure a 0-6 Mitu set, a mitu bore gauge, mitu depth gauge, a couple of mitu 2-3 and 3-4 $75 for all

bunch of other shit at varying deals, I bought so much I cant even remember it all lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auction.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	157873  

Last edited by Cavalry; 09-29-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:15 AM
I can dig it

Research and see what the table moves on. If it’s ball bearings, I would remove the table, the bearings, then lower the spindle on a block as you mention.

If it’s a table that moves on an oil film, one could go either way, but the Harig that I brought west I removed the table.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Old 09-30-2020, 05:22 AM

Default best way?

Well the best way would be to call a pro Rigger and point your finger, but most of us don't have that budget..altho the auction prices you stated in your post leaves a lot of room..wow..anyway I moved two surface grinders in the past year, one 10x36 Gallmeyer that came in at 5500lbs..the Gallmeyer was loaded on my trailer at the navy yard by a 20K forklift and was only sitting on a wood pallet,not even bolted to it..I used shrinkwrap to encase the machine and immobilize the table along with a 1"ratchet strap around the table and back to the base,it worked pretty good to hold the table in place..albeit I did use the major portion of the roll of shrink, that stuff builds strength as you layer it..chained down to trailer and got it back to my shop (150mi) in one piece..touchy but got it unloaded with a 4000lb forklift..added two more forks to it before getting under that machine,it sure helps spread the load out on the forklift..the second grinder was a small Brown and Sharpe, it was mounted on a sheetmetal pedestal, not too strong,but the grinder was unwanted by a property owner so I got the call to move it out, we used Hillman rollers to get it near the rollup door in the garage but one of the rollers hit a pebble(we did sweep the floor first too) and we dumped the whole thing right on the floor..no one was hurt except the grinder..trashed it,scrap. Sometimes no matter what you do it just doesnt work out. Winched what was left up onto the trailer and called it a day at that point.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:59 AM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
Well the best way would be to call a pro Rigger and point your finger, but most of us don't have that budget.

Already have one there, getting 5 semi trailers of equipment and another 2 trailers that my guys are loading up. Its going to be a long week...
Old 09-30-2020, 09:33 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
Already have one there, getting 5 semi trailers of equipment and another 2 trailers that my guys are loading up. Its going to be a long week...
You suck.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 10-01-2020, 07:12 AM
Blast this!

Darn I thought this was all for the home shop . Guessing we were going to have another build thread . Then I get lead to believe it was for work . Oh well .
Old 10-08-2020, 01:26 PM
Below Wholesale

To add to the insanity I left the surface grinder there! After 4 days of rigging equipment I had enough.

Drove my forklift in to swoop it up after all the other machine equipment was finally moved out of the way to discover a low sprinkler pipe blocking the way. I contemplated pulling the cage off the truck for about 30 seconds and said fuck it the scrappers can have the grinder.
If I knew it worked and wasn't a clapped out pile I might have cared. Although very complete everything in the shop was pretty beat.

$150 left there, but it was made up for when the auction house guy (who somehow became my new BFF) gave me a box that he forgot to list. Had a Fluke FLIR, cheapie Fluke clamp meter, a Fluke graphing meter, and a Klein zippered pouch full of insulated tools. Sure, I'll take a couple thousand in tools for free
Old 10-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
Darn I thought this was all for the home shop . Guessing we were going to have another build thread . Then I get lead to believe it was for work . Oh well .
Although most what came back of this was industry specific equipment I did hit their overly large maintenance shop hard. They had 500 employees and 30 guys on maintenance.... I filled half a 52' with goodies.

My employ and my home shop are very fluid. I have $20K of my shit at the work shop and $20K of their shit at my shop. I had best intentions of an addition this year then the lumber industry went crazy. Next year.