Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 07-09-2020, 03:09 AM
Post Fiend

Smile Feast for the Ants!

I had been noticing an ant here or there walking up the wall outside my office door. There were none INSIDE the office with kitchenette (fridge, mwave, pod maker, counter/shelf) so that was a relief.

Figured I'd get a trap to nip future problems in the bud so I bought a 6-pack of "Terro Liquid Ant Baits" from the local ACE Hdwr. I think it was around $6. The kid directed me to the baits which he highly recommended, having rid his car from an ant infestation with them. The baits are designed for the worker ants to suck up the juice/poison and bring it back to the queen to poison her, as well.

The pic shows the bait down for about 10min. Word sure traveled fast! I will guess that the "juice" is probably corn syrup or something delicious like that. A couple hours later, some of the juice had leaked out into about a nickle-sized "puddle" on the floor with probably 50 ants gathered around like steer around a water trough.

Noting a line of ants traveling up the wall, I followed the parade up into the loft, across the floor to the back wall, up the wall and over into the soffit area.

It was interesting to observe them going to and fro--just like those nature documentaries we've all seen with the ants "communicating" with each other then rushing on to the next guy...

Going outside to the back wall, I followed the line of ants to the ground and placed another bait in that area hoping to make their feasting less arduous...

A couple hours later they had forgotten about the bait by the door and were happily lapping at the bait outside. I moved the bait that I originally put by the office out to the front of the building where THOSE ants soon found it...

There are currently no more ants noted by the office door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antfood.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	156810  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 07-09-2020, 05:51 AM
Blast this!

Mass Murderer . We had a infestation in the wife's car trunk . Somewhere we read to use dryer sheets . They left within 24 hours .
Old 07-09-2020, 07:40 AM

My brother had ants in his mail on the side of the road, a couple of dryer sheets and they were gone
Old 07-09-2020, 08:08 AM
Elite Member

There is a BIGproblem with bait for ants .
Over the years I have usually only seen a couple size ants The giant black ones, the two color medium size ones and the small ones. Now recently here in Abq I've come across some new additions. Besides the two color ones and the small ones there is now a size I call miniature another micro and recently another I call nano ( not sure but what it should be femto) they are so small they don't show unless they are moving. So bait that works fine for the larger ones like Amdro ( and it sure does for the larger varieties ) is way too big for the smaller ones to handle. So I'm stuck with spraying .
...lew...
Old 07-09-2020, 04:15 PM
Da Chief

OK, yous guys are da bomb fer ants, waddya got fer hornets and wasps? I got some of each, that swim in the Raid and black flag spray's then fly back to the nest.

The Andro stuff, kerosene based, used to work well, now I can't get it here.

I've sprayed the nests, after dark, soaked the nest in both sprays. they fall out, dry out and at first light, go back to the nest. WTF?

AFAIKT they are bald faced hornets, mud dauber wasps and paper wasps. SWAMBO is allergic so I gotta do something NOW.

Thanks
RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 07-09-2020, 05:01 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
OK, yous guys are da bomb fer ants, waddya got fer hornets and wasps? I got some of each, that swim in the Raid and black flag spray's then fly back to the nest.

The Andro stuff, kerosene based, used to work well, now I can't get it here.

I've sprayed the nests, after dark, soaked the nest in both sprays. they fall out, dry out and at first light, go back to the nest. WTF?

AFAIKT they are bald faced hornets, mud dauber wasps and paper wasps. SWAMBO is allergic so I gotta do something NOW.

Thanks
RED
I use the red can of brake parts cleaner on wasps and hornets. The
chlorinated solvent is a CNS depressant and kills them and the desiccant
properties of the solvent also dries out the bodies and kills them.

So the same thing wait until dark and they are all back at the nest and
hose it down.

We also get carpenter bees, big like bumble bees but they are mean.
When I find their nests in the ground I wait until after dark and soak it
with a diesel gas mix and light it. If they are in a building they get
the chlorinated solvent treatment.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 07-09-2020, 05:31 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I use the red can of brake parts cleaner on wasps and hornets.
CRC Brakleen RED--drops them out of the sky. I'll squish 'em after to make sure. With the squirt tube in easily reaches up to 15' feet. Will melt latex paint so don't go crazy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brakleen.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	156820  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 07-09-2020, 06:48 PM
Grumpy Bastard

That liquid bait is boric acid mixed with corn syrup.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 07-16-2020, 08:31 AM
Elite Member

Besides metal working another passion of mine is studying animals, ants are one of the more curious.

They do in fact communicate. I don't know how, but they warn others of danger instantly from as far away as a few inches. I have proven this numerous times by flicking off one ant on a trail. the moment that happens the others nearby will stop moving or turn and walk the other way.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:33 AM
Armchair Webbie

That Terro is great stuff. I got the bottle of liquid last year. You put a little blob, less than the size of a dime on a piece of thin cardboard near where you see them and the next day, there are hardly any left, the day after that-gone.

A few years ago, I had yellow jackets invade the back porch light. They got in around a gap and were down inside the wall. I went online and got some stuff called, "Phantom II." It's supposedly, only sold to professionals. Yeah right. If your money is green, you're a professional.

I sprayed it at night around the light and in two applications, they were done for. This stuff kills a bunch of different pests except brown recluse spiders. Every couple of years, I get carpenter ants trying to build nests under the gap in the aluminum siding around the front door. One application does it.

Sorry, I can't remember what company I bought the stuff from.

Dave