Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-13-2019, 01:40 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Default Dodge Pickups and Radio Frequency Interference

This is a weird one--maybe worthy of a tin hat and likely to generate some interesting discussion. We are in a multi-tenant complex with a variety of different businesses. There are two businesses down the way from us and both have new Dodge pickups with the same issue.

About three weeks ago they started having problems getting into their vehicles and getting them started. The key fobs will not operate correctly; you can't unlock the vehicles with them. They can get into the pickups by using their keys but when they use the key in the ignition the vehicle won't start, at least not right away. The error code says that even though there is a key in the ignition there is no fob and therefore the security system won't allow the truck to start.

If they play with the key and fob eventually they can get the vehicle started but it takes time--one guy was in on Saturday and it took him over a half hour to finally get his PU going. Once the truck is away from the complex--even a short distance--everything works fine.

They've talked to techs and electronics people and determined that the Dodge key system uses the 413 megahertz frequency for its system and there is a stray signal somewhere that is interfering with it. They've walked the complex with signal detectors that show where the interfering signal is strongest but they can't figure out what is causing it. No one in the affected zone has installed any new electronic devices--at least not any they will admit to. I'm very curious myself to learn what is causing this...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:42 PM
Post Fiend

A search of "413Mhz" brings up something about security systems. Could be a place to start?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 03-13-2019, 10:16 PM
Elite Member

None of the "Ham" bands use that frequency.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 03-14-2019, 05:14 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
This is a weird one--maybe worthy of a tin hat and likely to generate some interesting discussion. We are in a multi-tenant complex with a variety of different businesses. There are two businesses down the way from us and both have new Dodge pickups with the same issue.

About three weeks ago they started having problems getting into their vehicles and getting them started. The key fobs will not operate correctly; you can't unlock the vehicles with them. They can get into the pickups by using their keys but when they use the key in the ignition the vehicle won't start, at least not right away. The error code says that even though there is a key in the ignition there is no fob and therefore the security system won't allow the truck to start.

If they play with the key and fob eventually they can get the vehicle started but it takes time--one guy was in on Saturday and it took him over a half hour to finally get his PU going. Once the truck is away from the complex--even a short distance--everything works fine.

They've talked to techs and electronics people and determined that the Dodge key system uses the 413 megahertz frequency for its system and there is a stray signal somewhere that is interfering with it. They've walked the complex with signal detectors that show where the interfering signal is strongest but they can't figure out what is causing it. No one in the affected zone has installed any new electronic devices--at least not any they will admit to. I'm very curious myself to learn what is causing this...
You mention complex. what sort of complex? are you speaking of...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

There is a small corner store over here that is doing the same thing to all vehicles. Once they are towed away they work fine. No one can figure it out.
Maybe some advance tech the government is testing on us, or the greens. Wouldn't they love to shut down vehicles?

Edit
Just checked the update and it was a remote car starter stuck in transmit mode, they say.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott

Last edited by Ironman; 03-14-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Edit
Just checked the update and it was a remote car starter stuck in transmit mode, they say.
Is this? the answer or update to Kieth's. original dodge issues.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:57 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
You mention complex. what sort of complex? are you speaking of...
Just a multi-tenant commercial building with individual spaces rented out. Two buildings 80 ft. wide x 300 ft. long. Bay sizes range from 2200 sq. ft. up. A real variety of tenants--our welding shop, a couple custom automotive/hot rod shops, a Fastenal store, a place that repairs and installs overhead doors, a gas turbine engine repair/rebuild facility and a place that does installations of cell towers and systems. There are others but you get the idea. As of now there is only one space that is being used as a "warehouse"; that is, for nothing but storage--everything else is a "working" business...

The occupancy changes a lot as well. We've been here a little over 20 years and in that time we've gone from being the newest tenant to the second oldest. Always interesting...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 03-14-2019, 01:04 PM
Elite Member

Default Dodge Pickups and Radio Frequency Interference

I would have started with the cell tower guys. They would likely have the equipment and the expertise to find and/or cause the problem. They might also have the ability to come up with a story about a stuck transmitter.

Last edited by Samcord; 03-14-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
a place that does installations of cell towers and systems...
This could be, not saying it is, but their test equipment and shop equipment in their facility could be an issue...

Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Elite Member

I would also check the overhead door outfit.
There are recorded problems with door remotes and key fobs.