Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 03-07-2019, 12:21 PM
Boiler God

Default ER 32 Collets

I’ve been debating on purchasing another set of ER 32 collets, I use them on the Rockwell milling machine. Due to my own stupidity, it took me about 30 minutes, to find the 1/2” collet, so an additional set seems like a good idea.

So I went to BangGood and sorted out a basic set of 1/8” to 3/4” by 1/8” steps, was about $55, and was about ready to snap them up. But I also looked into the evil empire of EBay/PayPal and found a similar set for $56, but also includes a R8 x ER 32 collet chuck.

So my dilemma, wait 4-5 weeks for the BangGood collets to be delivered, or order them from EBay, have them shipped out out NJ and have them in 4-5 day. Both offer free shipping. I’m guessing the collet chuck has at least .005” TIR, so basically junk, so keep the collets and scrap the collet chuck, or basically reorder the ER 32 collet set, I already ordered last year (or so), being of very good quality.

The trials and tribulations of being the GNAP....................
Old 03-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Elite Member

This is a pretty good Video on collets.Really knows his stuff..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ENSGgeiOVI
Old 03-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Boiler God

I broke down and ordered the ER 32 collets from the NJ supplier, along with 2 of the nut wrenches and a ball bearing nut.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I broke down and ordered the ER 32 collets from the NJ supplier, along with 2 of the nut wrenches and a ball bearing nut.
I don't know Jack. Sometimes it just easier and best to order what you know the good past order that served you well.

I've ordered some things that were really good but ordered some things to save a buck or two and find out its not half the quality or it just total crap. So in many ways, it go with what ya know JIMO.

I Have Only One Wish To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Jack,

I have more problems getting collets to run true. When I say run true, get them to run within .0002" TIR. Most are no more than .0005" TIR at the collet. Brand of collets makes a difference too. Most of mine are Italian made, some Japan made, and of course the Asian ones.

Holders themselves are usually well within a tenth or two.

Ken
Old 03-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Boiler God

Ken,

The TIR of the last set was very low, the three I measured below .001”, the indicator needle barely wiggled. They may not be the greatest, but they are workable for me.

The 2 larger milling machines, the Jet JVM-836 and the Infamous Franken-Mill, both use the SYOZ 25 (EOC25) series of collets (I have 3 sets of collets), both a Grizzly sourced system and the smaller Rockwell vertical mill (model #21-100) uses the ER 32 series collets. As this is a back up set, as long as they are usable, I’m not requiring premium quality, just workable quality.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:43 PM

Jack,

You mentioned a ball bearing ER32 nut. How much better grip do they provide and are there any downsides to them other than a few extra $?

I need a new nut my mill and considered one but they are not very popular over here in the UK.

Thanks

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Boiler God

Rob,

From what I read on the internet, for what it’s worth, that the ball bearing cuts down on the friction between the front of the collet and the nut, allowing for a more even distribution of the force, to allow easier tightening. A ER 32 with a standard nut needs roughly 100 ft/lbs to lock the collet down, per the manufacturer, but with a ball bearing nut, that’s reduced to 75 ft/lbs, to achieve the same locking tension, between the collet and the end mill.

If someone knows more, please jump in.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:23 PM
Boiler God

My new ER 32 collets arrived today, about 3 days ahead of the original stated delivery date. It appears that the collet are the exact same brand as the set I got from BangGood, about 1-2 years ago. I had ordered a 11 piece set, they sent a 13 piece set, they sent a 1/16” and a 7/32”, that were not listed on the sale posting.

I check the run out, on 4 of the collets, the ones where I had hardened ground down pins of that size, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” and 9/16”. The combine runout of the collets and the spindle of the 50+ yr old Rockwell milling machine where

1/4” - ~.0007”
3/8” - ~.0007”
1/2” - ~.0009”
9/16” - ~.001 (a tad less than .001”, but a tad more than .0009”)

I had similar reading off of the shanks of new carbide end mills, using both a B&S and Intrepid brand test indicators.

I also checked the runout on the 3/16” collet, using just the shank of a new carbide end mill, it was in the .0015” range, not sure if it’s the collet or the end mill, t was the only 3/16” carbide end mill I had and all of the HSS 3/16” end mills I have have 3/8” shanks.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:06 PM
Auction Addict

Well Jack you caught be in a weak moment. Ordered this from Banggood today. Did get $5 off by using some points.

Now no more opening the top cover and reaching up to change cutters.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman

Last edited by milomilo; 03-11-2019 at 07:34 PM.