Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-23-2019, 11:27 PM
Boiler God

Default Rapid Air Products/Maxline

Welp, after months and months of dancing the knife edge, of getting it or leaving it on the shelf at the store, I finally decided to get it. I bought the 3/4" master kit. I contained 100 foot of the semi-stiff 3/4" pvc/aluminum/Teflon tubing, 3 drop stations, 20 hangers/anchors, 2 tees and the assembly/cutting tools.

I ran a 1/2" x 36" hydraulic hose, as my vibration isolator and piped 3 drops in the shop, with 9 available air chuck, with 4 of them connected to my hose reels. The tubing is pretty stiff, making uncurling and measuring for cuts a PITA, but it went together exactly as stated and I had no leaks. The tubing is good for 200 psi and my 2 stage Home Depot sourced Campbell-Hausfeld air compressor shuts off at 175 psi, so I should be okay.

I bought my set from the local Runnings store for about $185 and with the extra parts and the misc nipples and air chuck and the ever present NYS sales tax, I left the store at about $250. The whole system has only 13 of the companies hi-tech special compression joints.

The whole job took about 5 hours, running about 75 of the supplied 100 foot tubing. Most of the time was moving crap in the Machinery Closet, to get to the areas where the drops were going to be located. Fired the system up, soap tested all of the joints, and remade 4 whips, from the drops to the hose reels.

All in all, it looks decent, the parts are well made, I used different mounting straps, we shall see if the stuff lasts an remains leak free.

https://www.rapidairproducts.com/maxline
Old 07-24-2019, 12:54 AM
Curmudgeon

Jack, did you buy their crimping tool?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-24-2019, 07:17 AM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Jack, did you buy their crimping tool?
No crimping, it’s a special style compression fittings
Old 07-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I think you will be happy with an air plumbing system in the shop. It helps to contain the moisture where it should be and give you dryer air where you want it.

As I was always told the Magic Garage was so small, it is shocking to realize it took 75 feet of pipe.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 07-24-2019, 10:23 AM

I have had the 3/4" rapid air kit installed for a couple of years, very happy with it.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I think you will be happy with an air plumbing system in the shop. It helps to contain the moisture where it should be and give you dryer air where you want it.

As I was always told the Magic Garage was so small, it is shocking to realize it took 75 feet of pipe.

Actually 80 feet, I added a 4th drop this morning. The longest run is from the air compressor, that’s in the basement, through the wall up to the rafters, to the first cut in, about 45-50 feet. It’s tight, as Norm says, you have to step outside to change your mind.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:33 PM

If you have worked with pex tubing, how easy is it to work with this tubing compared to pex?

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 07-24-2019, 03:04 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
If you have worked with pex tubing, how easy is it to work with this tubing compared to pex?
I know everyone uses it, but PEX is not rated for air service, my friend had his home owners insurance cancelled for running PEX compressed airlines. It also against local plumbing codes to run compressed air in sweated copper or pvc/cpvc plastic. You can run it in soft copper with flared fitting or threaded pipe. They even question the newer flexible plastic airlines with the compression fittings.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:29 PM
The Real Deal

Thats the way to go!!! I wish I would have done something like that but you know how it goes when you go to the scrounge pile
Old 07-24-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I know everyone uses it, but PEX is not rated for air service, my friend had his home owners insurance cancelled for running PEX compressed airlines. It also against local plumbing codes to run compressed air in sweated copper or pvc/cpvc plastic. You can run it in soft copper with flared fitting or threaded pipe. They even question the newer flexible plastic airlines with the compression fittings.
I know that. I was just wondering how easy it was to work with this type of air line compared to pex. I was not suggesting to use pex as air line!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E