Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 07-23-2019, 06:40 PM

Default Erico ec-100

Greetings everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. My name is Russ. Someone in my company bought this to weld studs to sheet metal but didnt realize it went out of production 30+ years ago. I contacted the current rights holder to Erico and recieved an email back saying no longer supported, no documents in existence, yada yada yada. Just wondering if anyone knows how to hook up the incoming supply. It says DC supply but its only one single connection. I was also wondering if you could tell me what voltage/amperage my power supply should be. Any help/criticism is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ D.https://musickauction.hibid.com/lot/...0-stud-welder/
Old 07-23-2019, 06:55 PM

Welcome to the forum! Sorry but I have no info on it and can not help but hope some one can help you out eventially!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 07-23-2019, 07:01 PM

Thanks Astro,

I hope someone can too. I can usually find manuals online but this companys email response was almost downright rude......

ERICO has not been in the stud welding business for 30+ years. We no longer makes or supports Blue Arc Stud welding products. We have no drawings, data sheets or information on the products in existence.

I was hoping some good old boy still used one and could help me out. Anyway, thanks for your first response.

Many Thanks,

Russ D.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:42 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Default Erico ec-100

Welcome in Russ

I would venture a guess you need a big welding machine to power this.

The size stud your welding looks to be your power supply needs.

The chart in the pictures shows 350 amps for the smallest stud.

The machine you have looks to hold the stud and uses a timer and contractor to weld the stud in place.

Just looking at your pictures and a little looking online

No direct experience with this type of machine

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 07-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Auction Addict

Welding studs to sheet metal does not require much power. Expect the machine you have is far too big for your use. What size studs are you planning to use? I have used a few way back that shot 3/8" stud ran off 220v AC. The welder converted the AC to DC.

Can you take a pic of the data plate? it may help to decipher the power requirements.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 07-23-2019, 08:59 PM

Thanks Scotts,
How many volts DC do I need to supply. I can build a capacitor bank to handle the amps. I told them I would build one but they jumped the gun (no pun intended) on me. I have not yet disasembled the unit but the gun is the most critical part; right?
Thanks,

Russ D.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:04 PM
Auction Addict

Old thread on stud welders. Maybe you can contact the author via email and see if he can help. He has been on the forum since 2016.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/member.php?u=413

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 07-23-2019, 10:36 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdischar View Post
It says DC supply but its only one single connection. I was also wondering if you could tell me what voltage/amperage my power supply should be. Any help/criticism is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Welcome Russ,
I did some snorkeling around the net for your device. I noted several units for sale, and this EC-100 stick welder machine

If it says DC power input, I would assume that the stick welder is used and the ground wire goes to the work and the electrode wire is hooked up to the machine.
Similar to running a wire feeder off of a mig/stick box. My guess is that any CC welder will be in the correct power range.

I usually find a Russian site when I want a hard to find or expensive manual, nothing showed up there.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson

Last edited by Ironman; 07-23-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Elite Member

Default Erico ec-100

Welcome Russ,

I don’t have any experience with that machine, but looks to need some serious power for welding the studs. I think Scott is right though, you put the ground from the welding power Supply to the work, and the positive cable feeds thru the stud welder box, which just is a timer for the gun to supply welding power when triggered.

Question would be, can you get the studs that will work in this machine, and have a big enough welding power source for the size you want?

Like Milo said, probably will not need listed amperages welding to sheet metal though. You would just keep turning it down til you stop blowing holes in the sheet metal, and the studs are attached as strong as desired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1392.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	151606

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-24-2019, 12:29 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

If it says DC power input, I would assume that the stick welder is used and the ground wire goes to the work and the electrode wire is hooked up to the machine.
Similar to running a wire feeder off of a mig/stick box. My guess is that any CC welder will be in the correct power range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Welcome Russ,

Question would be, can you get the studs that will work in this machine, and have a big enough welding power source for the size you want?

Like Milo said, probably will not need listed amperages welding to sheet metal though. You would just keep turning it down til you stop blowing holes in the sheet metal, and the studs are attached as strong as desired.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Being totally unfamiliar with this process, I did some DuckDucking and found quite a few articles and sales sites. I picked this one at random to read the specs. It is their single phase model.

The problem with getting "that any CC welder will be in the correct power range." or "big enough welding power source" is that this ProArc 800 unit supplies a range or 400 - 900 amps for a pulse ranging from .05-.6 seconds duration. I also see that the timer is built into the power supply in this brand, not into the gun or into the Erico unit, as it appears to be.
The three phase model supplies up to 1300 amps for welding to material up to 5/8ths inch thickness.

It appears to me from this surface scan that these welders require a pretty specialized power supply capable of supplying precisely regulated and unusually high amps in very precisely timed bursts.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951