Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

Can't wait to see this one progress. Good luck!

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-27-2019, 07:33 PM
Da Chief

The Pinto is off the trailer, power washed and leveled on jack stands in the build bay in the shop.

Got a bunch of parts on order and Von is putting together a care package of his shop cleaning antics.

Dug out the bare block, heads and headers for mock up and motor plate fabrication. Found an empty TH-400 case and some CRMO tubing for wheelie bars.

Two birds one rock, I'm getting the shop cleaned and finding parts I didn't know I had stashed.

Rollin, Rollin, Rollin

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 03-28-2019, 01:47 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
The Pinto is off the trailer, power washed and leveled on jack stands in the build bay in the shop.

Got a bunch of parts on order and Von is putting together a care package of his shop cleaning antics.

Dug out the bare block, heads and headers for mock up and motor plate fabrication. Found an empty TH-400 case and some CRMO tubing for wheelie bars.

Two birds one rock, I'm getting the shop cleaned and finding parts I didn't know I had stashed.

Rollin, Rollin, Rollin

RED
Well, Red. You can send any unwanted Hypo SBC parts this way JK!
Look's like you have your hands full, And ya sound excited with the new project.
Weren't you going to be selling your Rail/Dragster... just recently?
Old 03-28-2019, 04:43 PM
Da Chief

Yep, I was bragin' on it to Camaro Zack. I'd much rather sell or trade it as a unit, turn key race team, proven bracket winner, track champion.

Like Randy, I've got way too much money in it to ever make a profit, but it will make somebody an excellent entry level competition rig. Good first move out of junior dragster or pro comp / super comp "get your feet wet, cheap" index racing (9.90-8.90 class,) fast bracket car.

Cost less than $150.00 for a full race weekend. Pretty cheap fun. I paid the bills for a long time with side bets and grudge runs.

RED

Old 03-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Elite Member

Looks like a neat build, RED. I'm sure you'll push some purists with the Caddy, but, oh well.... There's a shop up the road from me that has its tame cousin. It's "survivor green" and has been on a dolly for as long as I can remember and just pushed around to different parts of the lot.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:12 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
No room for the Chevette?
I've read and re-read and can't find a reference to a damn Chevette. What's the back story? A HR magazine sleeper on the cheap from 30 yrs ago or is there a story not being told?

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:11 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
Yep, I was bragin' on it to Camaro Zack. I'd much rather sell or trade it as a unit, turn key race team, proven bracket winner, track champion.

Like Randy, I've got way too much money in it to ever make a profit, but it will make somebody an excellent entry level competition rig. Good first move out of junior dragster or pro comp / super comp "get your feet wet, cheap" index racing (9.90-8.90 class,) fast bracket car.

Cost less than $150.00 for a full race weekend. Pretty cheap fun. I paid the bills for a long time with side bets and grudge runs.

RED
Well, Red. If I had the time and the capital, I'd jump on it. But, heck I don't know which will be the hardest to come by with first, Ummm Time
It would for sure! Be a bargain deal, If I remember correctly.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:59 AM
Da Chief

OK, There is no "secret squirrel" stuff going on Bill. If you look closely in one of the first pic's I posted, you can just see the nose of a bright orange 70's Chevy chevette sticking out of the barn, by the cab of "big Red"

When I pulled into Von's yard, it was tarped. During the hagglin' it got uncovered and thrown into the game. A few posts later, an eagle eyed porch climber made mention of it, I responded in my usual cryptic style, And the mystery was born. Around post # 5.

Von is a chassis builder of some repute around here, been at it for 40 years or so.(Von's wife told me he is 74 this year) I have thumped and been thumped by his cars for a long time, now, I own one. I'm still cold trailin' the Chevette, likely never get it, but so it goes, gotta dream.

I hear ya Zack, I think it's a screamin' deal, but i'll have to wait for Donny to grow the economy a bit more, there are more and more folks workin' and carryin' folding money again. The kids are out growing the tuner crap and getting interested in real race cars again. (lots of old farts, like me and Von, are selling off the dusty stuff)

As I said, elseware, I sold the sand rail yesterday, so now I have enough folding money to finish the Pinto in style. I just need the time and motivation to overcome the morning start up drill, jack my tired old ass out of the fart sack and get it done...

RED

Old 03-30-2019, 04:06 AM
Elite Member

OK, I see the nose of the damn Chevette.

I asked for two reasons: My wife had an orange '70 Chevette when we were first married, a real no nonsense economy car. I can't remember why we sold it other than she was tired of it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The other reason was 30-40 years ago, someone at HR magazine built the ultimate sleeper, if I recall correctly, a 500 CI junkyard motor that would take on the world. I ran across an article some time ago that the builder revived the beast, can't find it now if I tried.

Good luck with your Pinto. Keep the wheels down and the roofline on top.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
The other reason was 30-40 years ago, someone at HR magazine built the ultimate sleeper, if I recall correctly, a 500 CI junkyard motor that would take on the world. I ran across an article some time ago that the builder revived the beast, can't find it now if I tried.
Here you go! LINK Should start some fires burning...

PS: But Wait! There's MORE!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 03-30-2019 at 12:41 PM.