Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-03-2018, 12:24 AM
Blast this!

Do you have room for a 300 gallon LP pig .
Old 10-03-2018, 07:57 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
Do you have room for a 300 gallon LP pig .
You are on the right wavelength, midmo.
I think a 300 gal pig is too big for a service truck.
But there are plenty of underbelly propane tanks for vehicles in the 60 gal size, and in my experience they make excellent tanks for an air system.
they are high tensile steel and much better then the regular air tanks.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Something's Fishy ...

I am using an 80 gallon under frame propane tank as my main air receiver but it is mounted high on a shelf with the port on the bottom so it can not catch water. At the end of each run is 100 pounder mounted upside down for the same reason. I have been here 25 years without any issues.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Boiler God

The last thing you want is to get caught by the USDOT, using a propane tank, as an air tank in or on a motor vehicle.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

You bring up a good point. Even though it is at half the working pressure of pane they may frown on it. Sort of like they would with a patch on the tank.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Yes they would not accept that because the attached tag on the tank is for a fuel gas not compressed air. my use is stationary and not in a shop with employees so it is not subject to worksafe or other regulatory agency's inspection or approval.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:01 PM
Standard of Excellence

Well, after much searching and talking to suppliers I may end up repairing the thing.the leak is right at a crater left when the leg was welded on. If I use a die grinder and gouge out the old weld and weld it back up it would be fairly easy. I may pressure test it so that at least it would ease my conscience. Back in my gas company days we tested at 1.5 times maximum allowable operating pressure. This would put the test at 300psi. Does that still sound reasonable? This would be a hydro test, so filled with water. I would likely shorten the legs at the same time to give me more favorable mounting. Then a fresh coat of paint.

I think I am going to pull the end plugs and do a visual before I get too excited though.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:05 PM

I would say that would be reasonable. Seeing as how you have worked around higher pressure things over the years you have an idea how to repair it.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:15 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Walker, 1-1/2 times working pressure is correct. So if wp is 200psi than 300psi would be correct.
I converted an old 2000gal. propane tank into a hot water tank for a wood gasifacation boiler for a friends new house and wife's bridal/seamtress business. The tank set for a year open to the atmosphere. Then it was steamed for 3 hours before we started on it. After welding on all the new threadolets, the new taller legs, and a couple of drains. We filled it and used a pressure washer to bring it up to 90psi. (60psi X 1.5). The relief valve for the tank is 15 psi IIRC, but the domestic potable water system is operating at 60psi. So that is why we went with the higher number. I have an old electric pressure washer, I use for this purpose.
Dan

Sent from my Samsung J7 using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 10-04-2018, 06:15 PM
Standard of Excellence

A guy called me up today and said he had a harbor freight gas compressor that has a 200 psi 30 gallon tank that has a bad motor. He wanted a hundred and a quarter for it. I picked it up as it would be an easy swap and would fix my problem. It has an ASME certified tag on it.

The problem I had with buying a new tank is that nobody in town has one, and by the time I get one shipped here it is almost $600. This is why I changed my tune about repairing mine.

I wasnt real fond of putting a chinese tank on, but it is a certified tank. So I go pick it up and drag it home. I am no expert small engine mechanic, but am better than most, so I thought I would connect a battery and see what happens. No spark, but cranks fine. I pulled the cover, which apparently the prior guy did too. I reset the air gap and saw a weak spark. I cleaned and gapped the plug and it improved. I put a few drops of gas in the hole and put the plug back in. It starts right up. The pump works fine as well. There is a pop off valve on the tube connecting the low pressure cylinder to the high pressure cylinder that leaks and the pilot valve shaft is corroded and doesnt control the machine. Looks like a take it apart, clean and lube job. Less than 50 bucks in parts and it will work well, or at least as well as it can.

So now what do I do? Fix it and try to sell it? It seems ashame to scrap a working compressor. It has a 13 horse Predator motor. Thats 13 Chinese horses though, so I think the conversion would make it more like 7 or 8 horse. The motor is $359 new. The whole compressor is $1149 new.

There are 3 currently on the local CL selling for $750 - $900

Last edited by Walker; 10-04-2018 at 06:22 PM.