Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Elite Member

Default simple metal wheels

I am looking to make some heavyweight pallets mobile. 2x6 bolted to 4x6. Ill have motors strapped to them. Im thinking 1 inch pipe in a channel hogged out but not sure how to make wheels. Iys a concrete floor with minor chips n cracks. I'll have to figure out if i want to skid steer them or if I'd like to use dome sort of machinery aytacment for the front to pull/steer.

I know ive seen talk of this in the past but my search-fu is lacking today. Any insight gang?
Old 05-23-2018, 04:57 PM
Elite Member

People have been moving heavy stuff on less than perfect floors for a long time.

These are some caster sites.

You might want to search for warehouse palletson an industrial surplus site also.

http://www.castersupply.com/index.htm

https://hgrinc.com/?all=1&view&aisle...max_price&pn=1

http://www.youngssurplus.com/materia...ng.htm#Casters
Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Start with a piece of heavy wall pipe 6-8" diameter
Cut rings as wide as you want to have for tires. These are wheel rims.
Get a piece of 1" sched 80 and cut it into 4" pieces. These are your hubs.
Take a piece of 3 or 4" wide by 3/16" flat bar. Cut it into 6 or 8" long pieces and burn a hole dead center of it to slide the pipe hub through. You want the edges to have the same curve as the wheel rim does. Takes 2 of these per wheel, they are spokes.
Weld the pipe hub onto one piece of FB, and on the other end of the hub, weld another one so they form an X.
Fit them into your wheel rim. If the spokes are wider then the rim, bend them in an arc so the edges fit into the rim.

Weld it together.
Wider center hub than rim is common, so arcing the FB spokes is good and looks cool.

Take pictures

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Start with a piece of heavy wall pipe 6-8" diameter
The main reason I never turn down gas bottles and always ask about those sitting out in the weather. I never have to pay, but dang they make good wheels.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Wider center hub than rim is common, so arcing the FB spokes is good and looks cool.
A hub that is wider than the rim not only looks cool, it also helps ensure clearance to other structure surrounding the wheel.

A spoke wheel is something I have thought about making for a long time but never had a real need for.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Gold Star Dad

The old Idealarc 250 welder carts have wheels fabbed like this.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:09 PM
Lord of the Minions

It seems the wheels I need at any time are never the same size as the ones last made and I end up making a new jig. lol

I've got three now and it looks like I'll need a 4th to make wheels, straight and castoring for the scaffolding I need finish for use around the farm.

I like to use jigs as it keeps things centered and allows me to align the spokes in any position needed with reliability when it comes to being true running.

The side wall thickness's of the tanks I cut apart are nice enough to last a long time without worry about disappearing during my lifetime.

I needed a few spoked wheels for my last somewhat portable forge and table. Cut rims from a 300 gallon propane tank I've been using for such things for many years. I've even used re-bar for spokes at times if I did not care what the final look was about.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Gold Star Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
... The side wall thickness's of the tanks I cut apart are nice enough to last a long time without worry about disappearing during my lifetime....
That's why I use tuna cans. Let someone else recycle the damn cans.