Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-06-2018, 11:16 PM

Default Work Starts Tomorrow

Nother round of Cedar clearing coming up.

Got about 40 acres that need cutting. I didn't realize how bad the problem was. Gonna be spensive. Have a dood coming in with a rotary saw mounted on a Bobcat. Gave me a high estimate, but I don't believe he's right. I work right alongside these guys with my own equipment. All's they have to do is cut...............I move the trees. Cuts labor in half, or less.

Best thing is.......you're out there, and they can't dick around, and run the meter up.

https://youtu.be/olT3PMtig64 Some Cedars we cut up around the house after the wildfire ran thru here. We got lucky, didn't burn, and figured we better get those trees outta here. 30ft tall fresh cut tree..............you can figure out what it weighs.

I can push 'em too

Hell, come to think of it.......I lied........he's coming Wed. Had to call the dood, and put him off till I get my planting done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cedars1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	144923  

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 05-06-2018, 11:32 PM

At $65/hr we ain't playin' around. I'm looking at just shy of maybe 3 grand before it's over. And that's with me doing the lions share of the work. These contract guys like to drag their heels.

I got no use for "welders", fence builders, or pasture clearing contractors. I've hired all of the above, thinking that the time saved while I was doing other stuff, might be worth it. Got burned every time.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:02 AM
Lord of the Minions

My knowing why your clearing makes the screams in my head of "Nooooooooo" a little less annoying.

To have a stand of cedars down here are a God send to a saw mill for product. Found, but not easy to come by for cutting. I've got 4 on the farm in the yard, 2 old growths and 2 less than 50. I've got two that need to be dropped unless I run my ele line from the transformer to the shop underground which may still happen. I've started the cleaning of the two to drop but just cannot bring myself to saw on the base.

There are still architects that will spec in cedar for clothes closets and other items to hold clothes down here and should someone actually price this stuff, they'd go with pine. lol

Cedar and Red Sinker Cypress are the main reason I made a band saw to mill rough cut lumber.

Looking forward to a few more of your vids on the field work.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

If the machine is very big (and productive) $65 hour is cheap.

I built the "Thrash-A-Matic" for my low flow bobcat, can't run a big mulcher.

I can go in and cut the little stuff, and make working room
for a chainsaw on the big stuff.

No it's not the same as the big stuff, but working within it's limitations, can get my job done, on my time, with my wallet.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Auction Addict

What is your plan for the lumber?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Gold Star Dad

I just saw a double row of huge Eastern Red Cedars (Juniperus virginiana) outside the old Maymont estate in Richmond. Some were in excess of two feet in diameter. The estate was occupied from 1893 through 1925.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5625893162_2614680573_b.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	144928  
Old 05-07-2018, 09:42 AM

The guy has a buddy that can mulch it all. BUT HE CAN'T GET HIS RIG ONTO THE PASTURE We don't have good access for semi's here. Narrow gates, and narrow roads, on that side of the place. To come in from the other side involves crossing a creek.

So, I'm stuck with them

We'll have to wait for wet weather, and burn them. Probably close to 400-700 trees maybe. I'm not good at estimating density. But it's a LOT. Mostly 8-12 footers, close together in some areas.

Nobody in this area rents a chipper big enough to handle these trees without limbing them, otherwise I'd just chip the whole mess, and shoot it over the fence into a rocky area unsuitable for grazing.

And the whole thing is my fault for letting them go too long. Just plain stupid. I do stupid stuff sometimes.

Guy figured upwards of 100hrs, but that takes into account him switching out implements to push what he's cut. I'm figuring closer to 40-50hrs with me moving the trees as he cuts.

Eastern Red Cedar is considered an invasive species here in Oklahoma. They were introduced during the Dust Bowl to provide wind breaks, and they got out of hand.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Elite Member

You can't get the branches to the chipper and/or a log mill?
That seems like a lot of potential dollars to just burn.

One mans invasive species is another mans closet lining.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmersamm View Post
The guy has a buddy that can mulch it all. BUT HE CAN'T GET HIS RIG ONTO THE PASTURE We don't have good access for semi's here. Narrow gates, and narrow roads, on that side of the place. To come in from the other side involves crossing a creek.

So, I'm stuck with them

We'll have to wait for wet weather, and burn them. Probably close to 400-700 trees maybe. I'm not good at estimating density. But it's a LOT. Mostly 8-12 footers, close together in some areas.

Nobody in this area rents a chipper big enough to handle these trees without limbing them, otherwise I'd just chip the whole mess, and shoot it over the fence into a rocky area unsuitable for grazing.

And the whole thing is my fault for letting them go too long. Just plain stupid. I do stupid stuff sometimes.

Guy figured upwards of 100hrs, but that takes into account him switching out implements to push what he's cut. I'm figuring closer to 40-50hrs with me moving the trees as he cuts.

Eastern Red Cedar is considered an invasive species here in Oklahoma. They were introduced during the Dust Bowl to provide wind breaks, and they got out of hand.
Advertise it for sale to those who do wood working. Might get it cleaned up and make a couple $$$ at the same time.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 05-07-2018, 07:15 PM
I can dig it

If the mulch guy has a big stationary shredder, is there a way/place where you could haul them to for him? There’s a couple outfits around here that shred/chip the stuff up for landscape mulch, they have huge units for chipping this sort of stuff.

Also, if he’s cutting them, the stumps are still there, what do you do about the stumps?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app