Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-20-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
So you used 4" wide flat strap/bar and it's 12" height configuration what was the gauge thickness of the metal and webbing ??
if ya don't mind tellin an old fella
No, I used a sheet of 1/4" steel, then cut out all four pieces with a CNC plasma cutting table.
The two 90 degree surfaces are 12" long and the long 45 degree surface is about 17" long I think. Here's what I cut on my table. I cut an extra "webbing" piece because I didn't want to waste material and will probably build another one at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (23).png
Views:	114
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	144560  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
No, I used a sheet of 1/4" steel, then cut out all four pieces with a CNC plasma cutting table.
The two 90 degree surfaces are 12" long and the long 45 degree surface is about 17" long I think. Here's what I cut on my table. I cut an extra "webbing" piece because I didn't want to waste material and will probably build another one at some point.
Cool Cool.......... Thank you!
when i get to fabricating mine for the upcoming work I'll dig up this thread again an Post pics of my disaster piece for ya...
Much appreciated

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
...warping on welding would be my concern too...
Yeah, mine as well. A welded fixture would get you pretty close but taking it one step further by machining the faces would make it perfect.

I know a couple shops that use cast angle plates for fixturing--the cheaper Chinese ones aren't all that expensive. They also turn up sometimes at machinery auctions...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

The centerpiece of 1/4" plate, cut on cnc will be accurate. When you clamp a flat bar to it and weld, I don't see a warp issue. The center web will not be distorted edgewise that easily.
As long as you have one rigid flat surface to work on this should be very accurate. Could it be off by .002? Why yes. The day has never come yet when I welded to that accuracy level.

When you buy a square, could it be off by .125" in 2 ft, you betcha. Sometimes even worse.

That's why God made center punches. So you can punch the outside or the inside of the corner to adjust the square to true.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 04-20-2018, 11:56 AM

I never use jigs........I likes my stuff crooooked

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Lord of the Minions

When you buy a square, could it be off by .125" in 2 ft, you betcha. Sometimes even worse.
I've got a half dozen of digital protractors that I keep calibrated. Certified calibration as well as I do for all of my torque wrenches. Hell even my beams have a sticker on them.

Having a store bought bubble level or a framing square is a toss up for true readings or an actual true 90deg. One peen point makes all the difference in the world and checking each bubble level on the shelf is the other.

Of course, walking in with a nice wooden box and pulling out my machinist level usually gives pause to the other old guy wearing the colored vest. lol

These days I almost cringe when I hear the word "JIG" or "JIGGED POSITION". At work, when we 'jig position' one of the planes, there are 7 different cradles under the belly and another set of pogo's under specific by a 1/16" locations under, across and along the wings and horizontals.
All shot dead nuts with Theodelite(old school) or the new computer controlled lasers we now use.

10 guys, 4 hrs of moving and placements, load cells on each pogo, readings checked, adjustment rings locked and then wired stops with stamped verified pilfer lead ties on the ends. sigh............

Of course, I have a set of tolerance jigs just made to indicate and locate the bend points and hole locations on the 1/2"x6" f/b being used for the fabrication of my single arm FELS for the SA's. The lowers, the upper main arm angle, the gusset plates, locators, and bucket points.

Of course it will allow me to make another FEL by laying material against the jigs, marking and punching and cutting with little error creeping in.

Getting back to shop table squares and angle for aids is often used for little or nothing whether it needs accuracy or not. lol

BTW Gerry, the jigs used for frame work on several aircraft to be found over the years rebuilt or repaired at the farm have location points shot in by laser and will get rechecked and verified by a friend that does my other calibrations and is within .001" . Of course you can tell how twisted and bent a frame is once you start measuring with a mic/caliper to get said frame to fit the jig.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-27-2018, 01:23 AM
Lubrication Consultant

I dropped my 3/8" material off to be cnc plasma cut so all ill have to do is grind the surface and then weld it up decided to use 3/8" for the webbing as well figured it will be a bit stouter with the 3/8" metal and wont have to worry about warping

Old 05-06-2018, 01:16 AM
Lubrication Consultant

well things did not goes as planed took my material in to get CNC plasma cut and was suposed to be done in three days well a few days went by and heard nothing from them then i got busy and a couple more days went by so called them got the run around sort of pissed me off as it was all pre paid........ so I went in to see what was going on with my order and well i guess the gy was not suposed to tell me they first lost my material then they just plumb for got all about it....... then started with their pals table was down all week just a whole bunches of excuses....... then they said come back that after noon and it would be taken care of well some dumb ass decided they would torch cut it i was then WTF i paid for it to be cut on cnc plasma so they could not give me my refund and material so they said an so i lost my cool and plain said give me my money and my material NOW!
finaly some one with a brain there figured out I was rite and not being unreasonable with my request for a refund an the material they said i need to supply and decided it was best to just refund all..... so now another problem comes in they had lost or used my material
and had to provide what was available and so i ended up with 20 ft. of 6" x 3/8" flat bar and 2x2 3/8" plate would of been cheaper to of not lost my material any way i had to come home and hand plasma cut it all out and ended up with 6" wide welding jigs not the nicest looking but work and suprising good enough for what i intend to use them for..
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180505_132024.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	144902Click image for larger version

Name:	20180505_191134.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	144903Click image for larger version

Name:	20180505_200347.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	144904

Old 05-06-2018, 02:59 AM

What I have done in the past when needing accurate plasma cut parts is to first print out the drawing on paper.

Stick the drawing to 1/4 or 3/16 ply, then carefully cut the ply out using my small band saw or other wood working tools of choice.

The ply can then be used as a template to run the plasma torch around.

As long as you hold the torch at the right stand off the ply does not get burn and can be used several times.

You need to factor in the radius of the torch nozzle when doing the drawing if sizes are critical.

I made a couple of drive sprockets for mini excavator rubber tracks like this and they work surprisingly well.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 05-06-2018, 10:46 PM
Lubrication Consultant

The jigs came out fairly square..... as square as my speed square so im happy with and they are big enough to help ad some more I-beams to my gantry

But my big issue was with the unprofecional treatment by the shop I took the work to
sad to say i would of taken them even more work but after the BS I went through just to get them to make it rite was just uncalled for
being I paid for it upfront in full plus as their request I supplied the material they lost
it was a cluster of fudgery

At best I just wont be going back to them.......