Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper Greg View Post
Not a bad deal at all!!! There are 2 things I would change on your setup. First is in the second to last pic. On your clamp system (which looks great) it appears to only be held to the main structure by 1 bolt. The second appears to not be connected to the structure. And the second, on the top of the vertical pieces that are in said clamps. I would do a square/ rectangle adjustable arm on the top of it. It would allow a bit more adjustment.
I don't get what you are suggesting in your first comment Greg, there are two 1/2" screws that can be clearly seen securing the clamp assembly to the dolly frame.

I don't understand your second suggestion. Would it improve vertical or horizontal adjustment? The screw hole pitch is five inches.

The only issue I have encountered is the thread rod interference with the dolly frame when it is positioned over it. In this case I am limited on how low I can position the saddle.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I don't get what you are suggesting in your first comment Greg, there are two 1/2" screws that can be clearly seen securing the clamp assembly to the dolly frame.

I don't understand your second suggestion. Would it improve vertical or horizontal adjustment? The screw hole pitch is five inches.

The only issue I have encountered is the thread rod interference with the dolly frame when it is positioned over it. In this case I am limited on how low I can position the saddle.
After looking at it again, I might have been a little off on my view on the first comment. Is the round tube adjuster welded to the angle? If so ignore the first comment. As far as the second, What I was thinking was where you have the square stock welded to the the top of the round vertical adjuster stock, weld in a piece of square tube horizontally to the top of the round and make an adjuster just like the round one so the your square stock can slide in and out too.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Elite Member

[QUOTE=Scrapper Greg;619638 What I was thinking was where you have the square stock welded to the the top of the round vertical adjuster stock, weld in a piece of square tube horizontally to the top of the round and make an adjuster just like the round one so the your square stock can slide in and out too.[/QUOTE]

I have now realized that this dolly attachment could benefit from the modification you are suggesting. I have however come up with a different modification that will offer some of the advantage of yours with much less effort.

My plan is to lengthen the angle by three inches on the end opposite the tube column. I will then slot the two round holes in the angle making them .5" X 3". This will give three inches of fore/aft adjustment which I think will greatly simplify the setup.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:26 PM
Elite Member

I also made a four foot model. This will be used for truck cabs and beds.

I used one standard 8 foot dolly that was damaged and shortened it.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Elite Member

View of short dolly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	122093  

Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Elite Member

View of fishplate joint before welding.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	114
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	122094  

Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 PM
Elite Member

Using another fullsize dolly as a fixture.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	99
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	122095  

Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Elite Member

Welded fishplate joint.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	103
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	122096  

Old 02-09-2015, 11:56 PM
Elite Member

Small dolly supporting a truck cab.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	128
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	122097  

Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM

Nice modular concept. Are these intended for storage/blasting/painting only? If you are going to weld/grind/pound do you think that the 3/4 rod will be strong enough? Do you plan to add any type of caster lock to prevent movement?

Southeast Michigan
https://www.facebook.com/Metalcraftbymoose