Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Gadget Girl

The angle iron with the flat strip would work and might be a labor saver.

I would find some of the correct sized square, rectangular tubing then weld on some ears for mounting as needed.. Not only would this cut down on fab and weld time but stuff is pretty easy to find..

The only thing I don't like about the rectangular tubing is the fact that if someone hits it with a slug/bullet from a high powered rifle it will knock dent into it.. If you use wide enough tube wouldn't be much of an issue since the boards could be shimmed backwards or forwards like in a stake pocket..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Update time, lol...

So while I was cooking breakfast and trying out LadyD's new elcheapo toaster on a pair of store brand frozen whole grain waffles, the range owner calls me. He's been out to visit the range and has decided it's past time to get this project underway and wants me to fab up the brackets and get it done by this weekend. Great. He says, "Just use the tubes like you did on the IDPA stands, drill through holes. Easy, simple. Yeah it's oversized but it'll be easy to replace in the future should we need to and it'll work no matter what." I like this guy. He continues, "I'll call the managers and let 'em know what's going on, call the metal supply and get a price quote on the tube and one of us will call you back later..."

Nice. I set Dot1 to cleaning the shop after school. It's a mess after the boy's Eagle Project. I called and checked on tube availability and prices. Then I get a text message from Mr. Overcomplicated: Need you to carpool to my buddy's shop in Anton so we can work on brackets tomorrow 430-? You available?

Yup. I knew it wasn't complicated enough of a plan. I bet we don't use the tube either...

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
Update time, lol...

So while I was cooking breakfast and trying out LadyD's new elcheapo toaster on a pair of store brand frozen whole grain waffles, the range owner calls me. He's been out to visit the range and has decided it's past time to get this project underway and wants me to fab up the brackets and get it done by this weekend. Great. He says, "Just use the tubes like you did on the IDPA stands, drill through holes. Easy, simple. Yeah it's oversized but it'll be easy to replace in the future should we need to and it'll work no matter what." I like this guy. He continues, "I'll call the managers and let 'em know what's going on, call the metal supply and get a price quote on the tube and one of us will call you back later..."

Nice. I set Dot1 to cleaning the shop after school. It's a mess after the boy's Eagle Project. I called and checked on tube availability and prices. Then I get a text message from Mr. Overcomplicated: Need you to carpool to my buddy's shop in Anton so we can work on brackets tomorrow 430-? You available?

Yup. I knew it wasn't complicated enough of a plan. I bet we don't use the tube either...
So the owner is ok with a sunddial, you would be willing volunteer your time to build a Timex, but the manager wants a Rolex! Are you charging for your time over and above what a "Timex" would be?
Sounds like what I am doing to fix the local scout derby track. Since I am volunteering my time to make it better, I am only going to make it so good. If they want it perfect, then some $ will have to exchange, but there is room for tons of improvement, without having to go overboard.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-11-2015, 10:38 AM

The manager just likes to over-damn-think stuff. A LOT. We've been planning a variant of this project since October and it's never gotten a lot of steam until the phone call Monday morning. We have been collecting railroad crossties for a few weeks now. The two cripple fellas--me and manager #2--visit the one lumberyard that carries them every week and picks out the best 5-8 of the week's bunch. We can't handle more than that at a time. Yesterday's load got us up to 18 total I think.

Anyhow, the brackets are done. Good or bad, they are what they are and I didn't end up doing all the work by myself. I guess that's a good thing. I can neither be blamed for their design nor for their execution . All I did was drill the holes.

All told it only took us about 4 1/2 hours with four guys working on this. I didn't get a final picture of the brackets we made, but I will later in the week once they're installed. They're not real uniform and the edges could have used a brush across the grinder. But, they'll work. We used the 1x2 14ga tube and 2" angle. Cut the tube to 6", angle to 3" and put one piece of it on each side of the tube. They booger welded the snot outta them and then I drilled holes in each 'tab' on the side. I've got to build a jig to hold them in the proper place and alignment when we install them on the RR ties, but that's later today or tomorrow.

For all the bitching, I still gotta admit it was a lot of fun to actually work with other people instead of just in my little hole. It was a heck of a lot better using someone else's shop, particularly in that he had one thing mine lacks--floorspace . I'd forgotten how nice it was to be able to walk in a straight line between one area and another in a shop, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	122138   Click image for larger version

Name:	weld1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	122139   Click image for larger version

Name:	weld.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	122140   Click image for larger version

Name:	drill.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	122141  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Dubby, your shop's not too small, you have too much stuff stored in it.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-13-2015, 10:04 PM

Lol, yeah I think that's the problem right there. I'm spending less time in there, and things seem to be piling up in my absence. I keep expecting to come home some evening and not be able to open the door anymore.

So far so good on the bracket installation though. It's been a VERY long week at the range but we have 4 of the 6 shooting lines redone with the new bracket system. We didn't have a whole lot of people out today which was really odd. The weather was beautiful. I'm hoping tomorrow and Sunday will be better. Our plans changed (again) and we've decided to rent a skidsteer or similar tractor with a front end loader and do some dirt work to go along with this project. I'm also hoping to level out the shipping container we use as an office.

Wade's Custom Kydex