Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-09-2005, 08:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to AntiBling Send a message via MSN to AntiBling
Default 3M Auto darkening helmet

Well, with the new job he said they give you the standard welding helmet, but most guys buy the auto darkening ones.

Well I know auto darkening is the way to go, I have a hobart hood and wouldnt want to weld any other way.

I see the company gets them 3M ones when you want one. What are your guys thoughts on this? Good helmet? Better than the hobart one? Or would I be better off asking to use my hobart one?

They want $300 for it, the company pays for a little over $100 of that, and they will let you spread it out in payments deducted from your pay check, just want to know if you guys think its worth the money, find it cheaper elsewhere, or go with something else.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:24 AM

What model helmet are you referring to? I've been researching the auto-dark helmets, and have posted info I received from 3m regarding the speedglass. I'm going to order the speedglas 2002v for 243 from cyberweld as soon as the cash is available for the purchase. The larger view window version goes for 299 on cyberweld. Check out the post at

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4282

Hope this helps!
--Bob
Old 08-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Below Wholesale

3M bought out Hornell. If you are talking about a speedglas helmet I can give nothing but praise. I have a older 9000x (discontinued) its been a trooper. Get the one with the big viewing area. If you will be working around others, the shade 5 sides are a nice thing. I have dropped mine thousands of times. Its the lightest helmet I have worn. The only money I have put into it so far after 5 years is lenses, a set of batteries (come with lenses), and this week headgear.

as far as options, the variable shades is kinda nice. I go darker if I am really burning hard with a stick. Stay with a 11 for MIG work. Mine has the sensitivity feature. Never used it. I weld in sunlight all the time never had a problem.

check this out

http://www.hornell.com/hsi/CompleteCatalog.pdf