Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Urban Gunfighter

Default Battery minder

I am looking for recommendations on a battery minder/maintainer for both my trailblazer 302 (it doesn't get run a lot) and my lawn mower (winter storage).

Any good experiences?

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 10-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

I have a 1.5 watt HF solar battery maintainer on all my equipment that isn't used daily. They work great.
http://m.harborfreight.com/15-watt-s...ger-68692.html
Old 10-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

I bought the original, I think its the battery tender, it took a shit about 2 years after I bought it.

http://batterytender.com/battery-ten...-at-1-25a.html

Ive since bought a battery minder, and its worked pretty well, but its also allot more than a smart trickle.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batter...er-desulfator/

Ive also bought 2 shumachers (from F&F for around $30), maintainers, they both still work, and I bought 2 from hobo freight for $5.95 and have not tried them out yet.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Elite Member

Chumly,

I have a Battery Minder on my TB 302 and Case Skid Loader. The one on the loader has been in use for 3 years, and the one attached to the Trailblazer was put on a little over a year ago after I had to fork over what seems like a lot of money for the oddball sized battery in the TB. I have not had a problem with either one, and I still wonder if that desulfation mode the Battery Minders have actually works, or is just some sort of gimmick.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:59 AM

I have about 10 maintainers, one each of the BatteryTenders and BatteryMinders have quit over the years. I have had a "sealed" BatteryMinder on the skid steer without trouble for the last three years and of course it lives outdoors. The aviation BatteryMinder works well on the gel battery for the plane and I have been told that the BatteryTender would not work properly on that technology.

Tried a solar powered battery maintainer; all it did was ruin a battery from overcharge (I was told) because it has no feedback circuitry.

Richard
Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I've run the cheap $5 ones from HF for a few years now on the boat and batteries in storage. I've never had a good maintainer, so I don't know how they stack up, but they've never hurt anything and the battery is good to go whenever I am.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

There is no possibility of a 1.5 watt panel ruining a car battery . You are talking about 100 ma charging current. I've had them on my tractors, ATV and riding lawn mower for years. I was constantly charging my ATV battery in winter . They are notoriously undersized and overpriced.
No more.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Having played with many batteries and the battery minder, Ive not seen that the desulfation works, but at the same time, its just observation, its not scientific in any way, Id probably not buy another.

You guys reminded me, I bought a solar model, and for the life of me, I have no idea what happened to it. I think I put it up somewhere to keep it safe and then lost it. Was going to install on my car trailer that sits outside 24/7. Need to go looking for that.

I think if I was to buy another new one, if its going to be affixed to the TB, Id buy the shumacher, just because of how its built and its the style for mounting on a vehicle.

Otherwise for $5.95 if the hobo freight models work, Id not bother on the big money for the other brands. Assuming they all put out the same volts/amps (as in design spec). For instance, Id check the voltage of the hobo freight model, before Id actually put a battery on it just to make sure they didnt screw it up in making it. Seems to me a pretty simple device, no sense in paying a bunch of money for something else to do the same job, if it takes an early demise, at $5.95, who cares ?
Old 10-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Hobo Freights are on sale for $4.97, I just got an email, and northern sent me one too..for the solar model, but they are probably pedaling the same china garbage that everyone sells under a different name, if I had to guess.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...AATbOX&om_mid=
Old 10-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Urban Gunfighter

I bought this one from Amazon for $48. Since it plugs into the wall socket, I also got the Battery Tender brand 25' extension cable, and the pigtail to make a quick connect to the battery. Reading in places, the Battery Tender brand cord accessories fit the Batteryminder equipment.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."