Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-05-2014, 03:22 PM

Default Battery Operated Reciprocating Saw Recommendations

Sometimes, there isn't time to dig out a Sawzall and cord on a remote job site or power to run it, so I'm looking into purchasing a battery operated saw. I'm looking for recommendations for and against what is available. I'm not looking for cheap. I need reliability and operating time between charges. Also, I have many hundreds of standard Sawzall blades so I need a saw that doesn't need special blades. I know, that's a lot to ask but I'm hoping.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-05-2014, 03:42 PM

I have used both Milwaukee and Dewalt cordless reciprocating saws and both work well for what I use them on (mainly stainless process tubing). The main drawback is battery life. No matter what you get, battery life is limited. You will need at least 2 batteries and a quick charger. Also the discipline to keep the batteries on the charger rather than waiting until you realize they are both dead to charge them. Otherwise, you gotta go corded. Still, cordless sawzalls are much more up to the task than cordless grinders, in my opinion.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Get LiOn batteries and quick charger. Most all will break when dropped too many times.

Scott
Old 10-05-2014, 04:50 PM
That HURT!

Everything we have at my day job is DeWalt and we abuse the crap out of them and they come back for more. I also have a DeWalt at home and am quite happy with it.

Red or Yellow, take your pic. I'm sure that they are both good tools.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Made From Scratch

I have an old 18V dewalt. Very happy with the saw, but make sure you are using XRP batteries in it. Battery life isn't too bad with them, I have a couple of the pre XRP packs and they die pretty fast. I have abused mine, used it in the rain, gotten it extremely hot etc it just keeps on running.

I have used a lithium ion milwaukee and it was a good unit but I don't think it worked any better than the dewalt and it cost more.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

I guess I will be the tool snob here, if its not Bosch or better, not so much. Ive used dewalt corded and cordless, difference between Renault and BMW.

The fit, finish, tool noise, and design of the dewalt cordless tools is really poor.

In the same breath, I do have a handful of dewalt tools (all but one is corded), but find their cordless stuff to be sub par. Id take Ryobi before dewalt. Or should I say I see dewalt quality on par with just about anything black and decker would make if they where still in this market pedaling their garbage.

A buddy of mine, full time mechanic, keeps a dewalt recip near his tool box for cutting exhaust, Ive used it a couple times, after owning Bosch recips and supersawzalls, wow what a piece of shit, but it does make the blade go in and out !

While most of you guys have or make your living with metal, Ive spent the last 15 years building commercial as well some residential, Ive worked around allot of others tools as well. Ive spent some time running others tools...

If I had to by a new recip, cordless, it would be a bosch Li-Ion. Runner up Milwaukee, probably followed by Ryobi (Milwaukee and Ryobi are owned by the same Chinese Tech conglomerate). Ryobi for its price point and price of replacement batteries.

My last pick would be anything yellow or "Rigid".

I will say this much, after building coast to coast, always with union labor and never the same subcontractors twice, Ive worked with allot of guys. When I would start a new job, if I saw a wall of yellow tools headed my way from the parking lot on day one, I knew I was headed for problems just by the tools they carried.

You really need to run more than one brand of cordless tool (the same exact tool and voltage) to appreciate how wide the gap can be between brands.

I should also mention, I had a job, where my crew of 12 would average one sawzall a week, and burn through 500 12" 18tpi Milwaukee blades. Ive tried every brand of recip saw on the market, to slow down the breakage. There is a reason I like the Bosch tools.

Last edited by Windy_Acres; 10-05-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:13 PM
there has to be an answer

I love my Makita recip saw. I have the LXT 18v series stuff. My batteries are 3aH and 4aH batteries are now available. There's lots of tools and car chargers etc.

I looked at what the tradesmen had been using, and they used Makita (~50%) with Dewalt as the second choice then the rest.

I bought Makita because of support. Makita has had a repair center in Calgary for years. I reconditioned a sliding compound miter saw and they had all the parts on the shelf. Dewalt opened a repair center four or five years ago in Calgary. I have a Dewalt circ saw and a handle was broken. It took them 4 weeks to get the part.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
I guess I will be the tool snob here, if its not Bosch or better, not so much. Ive used dewalt corded and cordless, difference between Renault and BMW.

The fit, finish, tool noise, and design of the dewalt cordless tools is really poor.

In the same breath, I do have a handful of dewalt tools (all but one is corded), but find their cordless stuff to be sub par. Id take Ryobi before dewalt. Or should I say I see dewalt quality on par with just about anything black and decker would make if they where still in this market pedaling their garbage.

A buddy of mine, full time mechanic, keeps a dewalt recip near his tool box for cutting exhaust, Ive used it a couple times, after owning Bosch recips and supersawzalls, wow what a piece of shit, but it does make the blade go in and out !

While most of you guys have or make your living with metal, Ive spent the last 15 years building commercial as well some residential, Ive worked around allot of others tools as well. Ive spent some time running others tools...

If I had to by a new recip, cordless, it would be a bosch Li-Ion. Runner up Milwaukee, probably followed by Ryobi (Milwaukee and Ryobi are owned by the same Chinese Tech conglomerate). Ryobi for its price point and price of replacement batteries.

My last pick would be anything yellow or "Rigid".

I will say this much, after building coast to coast, always with union labor and never the same subcontractors twice, Ive worked with allot of guys. When I would start a new job, if I saw a wall of yellow tools headed my way from the parking lot on day one, I knew I was headed for problems just by the tools they carried.

You really need to run more than one brand of cordless tool (the same exact tool and voltage) to appreciate how wide the gap can be between brands.

I should also mention, I had a job, where my crew of 12 would average one sawzall a week, and burn through 500 12" 18tpi Milwaukee blades. Ive tried every brand of recip saw on the market, to slow down the breakage. There is a reason I like the Bosch tools.

That's funny. I've worked in commercial construction as well and found dewalt to be very popular which usually means it works well and is a good value. Guys that have to buy their own tools look for that. I've also found Ryobi cordless tools to be low power with poor battery life. I like milwaukee but not any better than dewalt.

As far as bosch, their stuff works but I haven't found their hammer drills to last any longer or drill any faster for the added money, and I have a bosch circular saw that I'd say isn't much better than harbor freight. Very cheaply made.

It must be a regional thing because dewalt and milwaukee rule the roost around here.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Having used them both, I will never have another corded Dewalt in the shop at all, but the Dewalt cordless drill lasted a long time. I found the XRP batteries to be better than the LiOn stuff for life and holding a charge.

Then I bought a Milwalkee Fuel brushless drill and a Fuel impact driver.

Holy shit! what an idiot I was to keep that Dewalt as long as I did. You can't even describe the difference in performance and quality.
The Chinese know how to build them.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-06-2014, 12:10 PM

I have to go with Dewalt. Mine has been thoroughly abused and still works like new. I don't think it has ever seen wood, only metal. Can't even complain about battery life.