Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-21-2004, 08:13 PM

Default screw air compressor

Does any one have an input about a Irgersoll rand air screw air compressor driven by a Deutz diesel 9.39 hp. thanks Jim
Old 07-21-2004, 08:58 PM
SFT Brewmaster

yep....one hell of an air compressure for around the house......

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------
Old 07-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Banned

Air or water cooled?
Deutz runs hot as hell, but they love runnin that way. When the muffler craps out an empty 55 gallon drum works well.
That ought to be one hell of a machine for abrasive blasting. Seems about the right size for a citydweller forhis basement shop.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
Air or water cooled?
Deutz runs hot as hell, but they love runnin that way. When the muffler craps out an empty 55 gallon drum works well.
That ought to be one hell of a machine for abrasive blasting. Seems about the right size for a citydweller forhis basement shop.
Franz the diesel is air cooled Jim
Old 07-22-2004, 09:22 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I spose it could be up to 25 cfm, it would certainly be a pricey unit unless there was a special application where realatively low pressure air was needed on a long term basis. It probably would sandblast pretty fair.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Pit Boss

Before today I have never heard of a screw air compressor, now I have heard it twice in one day. Is this you also?

http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/messages/329424.html
Old 07-22-2004, 11:58 AM
f350ca

Didn't know they made rotary compressors that small. WhishI could find one, will have to start looking.
Greg
Old 07-23-2004, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore
Franz the diesel is air cooled Jim
I just reread the first post, and I've never seen a 9.39hp Deutz, although I've seen a lot of the bigger units.
9hp on a compressor ain't a whole lot of power, especially when it comes to sandblasting.
The rule of thumb on screw type compressors has always been that they don't become economicle under 20hp. Above 20hp, they become very cost effective, especially if you reclaim the power they waste as heat to heat a shop.

I'm not a real big fan of IR, they've rebadged too much Mexican junk and flat refuse to support it. No Parts, and No Habla English when you call the factory for information. Just another American company turned whore by the MBA boys.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:00 AM
f350ca

We had a couple of single cylinder Deutz diesels running high pressure three stage compressors. Used them to fill a bank of bottles to operate an air gun for siesmic. They'd put up around 2000 psi. Great little engines. Had a hand crank with a decompression lever. Always started and ran all day well above 100 deg in the African sun.
Greg
Old 07-23-2004, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
I just reread the first post, and I've never seen a 9.39hp Deutz, although I've seen a lot of the bigger units.
9hp on a compressor ain't a whole lot of power, especially when it comes to sandblasting.
The rule of thumb on screw type compressors has always been that they don't become economicle under 20hp. Above 20hp, they become very cost effective, especially if you reclaim the power they waste as heat to heat a shop.

I'm not a real big fan of IR, they've rebadged too much Mexican junk and flat refuse to support it. No Parts, and No Habla English when you call the factory for information. Just another American company turned whore by the MBA boys.
It a KW engine. 9.39 The return to HP. Franz I had very good talk with IR in customer support, about the endine not starting. Regards Jim

Last edited by fluxcore; 07-23-2004 at 05:24 PM.