Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

In years past we welded quite a few aluminum rims but--as we've gotten older and wiser--we stopped doing it years ago. They are made of a variety of strange alloys and you just have no idea what you're really working with--just not worth the risk.

A set of used steel wheels should be relatively inexpensive. And hey, don't beat yourself up over buying a dud. I'll bet there isn't one of us here who doesn't have at least one or two in his/her past. I know I have--several, actually.

You didn't mention what you paid for the thing but maybe it's time to cut your losses and sell before you put a lot of money into it. Lot of factors to consider but it could be the wisest thing to do. Good luck in any case...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 PM
no bull it's huge!

I don't weld aluminum so no input there. I did buy a bit of a dud myself. A 96 Pontiac grand am 2.4l with a 5spd expected high 20s but am getting around 10. I did a tune up but no better! It does sound a bit constipated I think the exhaust is plugged up. Cat converter is already gone so one of these days I have a tractor muffler to put on it.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
In years past we welded quite a few aluminum rims but--as we've gotten older and wiser--we stopped doing it years ago. They are made of a variety of strange alloys and you just have no idea what you're really working with--just not worth the risk.

A set of used steel wheels should be relatively inexpensive. And hey, don't beat yourself up over buying a dud. I'll bet there isn't one of us here who doesn't have at least one or two in his/her past. I know I have--several, actually.

You didn't mention what you paid for the thing but maybe it's time to cut your losses and sell before you put a lot of money into it. Lot of factors to consider but it could be the wisest thing to do. Good luck in any case...
I send all my wheels to greens on the mainland. They've fixed some aluminum wheels i thought couldn't be fixed.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Post Fiend

The wife's ram had an alloy rim that cracked similar to that. Got it welded and it cracked 180 degrees from the repair. Then another wheel cracked. Now she has a nice set of MT's. First rims I ever HAD to put on a vehicle.

I think Chrysler screwed a pooch with those style of rims, a lot of ram owners have had a similar experience.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
I 1+ the scrap it solution 100%, but as for it being a repair already, my guess is that there used to be a balancing wheel weight there and it caused for less oxidation.
on the wheel weight theory....
I sure don't see it that way...I'm seeing a weld bead there..
if you take a closer look you might see the same
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked rim oldweldclose.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	99459  

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

Quote:
Originally Posted by H80N View Post
on the wheel weight theory....
I sure don't see it that way...I'm seeing a weld bead there..
if you take a closer look you might see the same
inclusions and all
Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Elite Member

There are shops around Saskatoon that specialize in wheel repair. Friends of mine have had aluminum rims repaired, and they just failed again.

I agree with the crowd. Scrap the rims.

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Blast this!

No we did not repair formed al rims in the factory. Assembly welds but if the rim was cracked beyond the lathe area they went to scrap.There are lots of strange stresses in that al rim.What is the VH or rim stamp code on it ?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Can it be repaired safely?
Short answer is "yes, sort of".

Meaning, depending on the alloy and seemingly the age of the wheel. As many survive a repair as those that fail again. Would I put one back on my car or truck? Nope. Put one on one of my trailers? Nope. Would I put one on a farm/field use axle of some sort, most probably.

Personally, I love bent, dented, cracked and ground up pieces of Al. rims as it gives me something to melt into ingots to sell to friends that cast parts for hobbies. I rarely sell it for scrap.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 PM
One Lone Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickairmedic View Post
Bender just for general knowledge the Cherokee has the same bolt pattern as most Toyota 5 lugg trucks that should give you more options on finding a decent used set of rims " cheap " .

Rick
Thanks Rick. Thats good to know.