Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Yeah. As soon as I am done with the frame welding it will get a coat of equipment primer and some sort of color. Gonna try to keep the rusting down some. Wish I had an outdoor blaster to get it real clean. Guess I will get by with a cup brush and a knotted wire wheel on the 4" grinder.

It has been quite an ordeal rewelding a lot of the weld joints due to crappy welds and a ton of rust. Often have to run a pass with 6010 to burn out the crap then grind and weld with 7018.

Persistance will overcome!!!!
Best be careful how much of that you do. We might start seeing pictures of you out rig welding on some big ass pipe in the future.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM
The Real Deal

Looking good!!! I like your welding boots
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Quote:
That's part of what concerns me by building another trailer, as I will then not have an immediate need to unload from the last auction. Then I'll have two trailers to unload. Things could get outta hand that way. No doubt the missus would definately think I needed some therapy!!!!
I think I picked the right missus, she goes to the auctions with me, and helps load up ! She has even found me pallet rack while out and about, and brings me home tools that she finds here and there. Good woman there.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Looking good!!! I like your welding boots
Quilty as charged. Had on the old man velcro tennies that day. Usually have my boots on to keep the sparkies out of the socks.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Auction Addict

Storm came through yesterday. Got 3" of snow, so had not worked on the trailer until this afternoon. Borrowed a neighbors 1/2" thread die and handle and used another neighbors lathe to thread them.

Much quicker than doing them be hand or using the lathe to cut threads. My first shot at cutting the threads on the lathe was less than desirable. Got them bent after the the threading. They look good now.

Also got the bottom plate drilled for the bottom of the springs for the U bolts to go through.

Tomorrow I get to weld on the spring saddles and then I can bolt on the axle and mount some tires. At least then I can roll it around to do the rest of the work..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1312.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	96979   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1313.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	96980   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1314.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	96981  

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Drivin' Fool

Any pics of how you bent those u-bolts?
I can see the center line reference mark, and they look perfectly symmetrical from that mark.
I would like to know how to do that for my own education, even if I never need to do something like it.

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramd View Post
Any pics of how you bent those u-bolts?
I can see the center line reference mark, and they look perfectly symmetrical from that mark.
I would like to know how to do that for my own education, even if I never need to do something like it.
Pretty simple really. Learned this from an old guy at a heavy equipment repair shop in Billings, MT back in the early 70s. Just use a short piece of the axle clamped in a vise, heat the center to a dull red, use welding gloves to hold the ends on the bar and manually bend them around the pipe. You do have to watch to see that the ends come together evenly and bend one side or another to have them come out evenly. Let them air cool and then you can tweak them a little by putting them in the vise and get them parallel and even at the ends with a small 3 lb. hammer.

Pic of the axle piece in the vise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1314.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	97007  

Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Pretty simple really. Learned this from an old guy at a heavy equipment repair shop in Billings, MT back in the early 70s. Just use a short piece of the axle clamped in a vise, heat the center to a dull red, use welding gloves to hold the ends on the bar and manually bend them around the pipe. You do have to watch to see that the ends come together evenly and bend one side or another to have them come out evenly. Let them air cool and then you can tweak them a little by putting them in the vise and get them parallel and even at the ends with a small 3 lb. hammer.

Pic of the axle piece in the vise.
Thanks for the education,Milo. Now I'm just a bit smarter than I was a few minutes ago.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Auction Addict

Got the axle and springs bolted on today. Small problem arose. I was fitting the fenders to the frame and the tires were not square with the frame????Measured the center of the hitch to the front spring mounts and found they were 3/4" difference. Drat. You would think after all the trailers I have made that I could get that part right since it is the most critical measurement on a trailer.

Had to grind out the welds on one mount and move it forward 3/4". The welds were real purty too. Hated to take them out. Got it tacked in about dark. Will reweld it tomorrow after a morning hunt for an antelope.

Guess this is one of those times when you should meaure twice before you weld. Actually I did measure it 3 times before I welded it. Must have had a senior moment or something.

After the repair I need to do some serious wire brushing and then get a coat of paint on it before adding the fenders, wiring and decking.

Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by milomilo; 10-29-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Got the axle and springs bolted on today. Small problem arose. I was fitting the fenders to the frame and the tires were not square with the frame????Measured the center of the hitch to the front spring mounts and found they were 3/4" difference. Drat. You would think after all the trailers I have made that I could get that part right since it is the most critical measurement on a trailer.

Had to grind out the welds on one mount and move it forward 3/4". The wedls were real urty too. Hated to take them out. Got it tacked in about dark. Will reweld it tomorrow after a morning hunt for an antelope.

Guess this is one of those times when you should meaure twice before you weld. Actually I did measure it 3 times before I welded it. Must have had a senior moment or something.

After the repair I need to do some serious wire brushing and then get a coat of paint on it before adding the fenders, wiring and decking.
Hope you have better luck with your hunt than we did with our last one. We had a big buck antelope dead to rights (he was inside a fence, and for whatever reason, wouldn't cross it, and wouldn't run the other way), but being ethical hunters, and not having, or being able to get permission to shoot on that particular farm (nobody home), we watched him in the rear view mirror as we drove away.