Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Karma Avenger

Quote:
This is not a one-wire alternator.

As you turn on accessories, should the ammeter go more positive or more negative?
Sorry I'm late to this discussion. I'm assuming here that you have the ammeter wired in the output from the alt to the battery? If you're looking to measure alt output that's where it would be placed. If you're looking for system current, it would be between the fusebox and the battery. If you have higher battery voltage with it off, the charging system most likely isn't working. An automotive alt will normally put out enough current to be charging the battery, even at idle unless you have some serious current hungry accessories. Testing the voltage at the battery won't give you a proper test if the battery is defective. It's like trying to fill up a bucket with a hole in it. A voltage test really isn't a good test for a battery, they need to be load tested. A poor man's load test is to crank it with a voltmeter on the battery. If it drops below about 10 volts it's going to be a problem.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
This is not a one-wire alternator. It's also not new, which is why it's suspect.

It is easy to test an alternator in the vehicle if you have a voltmeter just read the voltage at the output terminal at 1000 +rpm it should be greater than 13 volts (13.4-14.6 ) depending on the temperature of the regulator .
THe battery voltage should be the same as the alternator output within a tenth of a volt. if it is not the alternator is probably Ok. and there is a wiring issue .

As you turn on accessories, should the ammeter go more positive or more negative?

That depends on where in the harness the ammeter is wired. If it is in the battery feed lead (all loads would be on the alternator side of the ammeter). then it shows current flow to or from the battery if it is on the alternator side of the loads it shows how much current the alternator is delivering but not how much the battery is receiving or supplying If the car is using more than the alternator is supplying the rest of the curtrent comes from the battery this would happen at idle if the alternator is supplying more than the car is using the excess is charging the battery.

Looks like I need to repair its mounting bracket anyway, so I'll take it off and have it tested.
Mac that is proably a shunt style ammeter and is actually a voltmeter that reads the voltage across the shunt.\
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Elite Member

Late to this post, but this caught my eye.

Quote:
With this extra wide 1/4" flat bar, to have something to which the seat can bolt, my head puts pressure on the bikini top, which means it's above the top of the roll bar!

So I'm going to remove the added 1" angle and bolt through the original flat bar. What a concept, right? I don't know what the last guy was planning to do, but it was also probably before he got these seats.

This will lower me 1-1/4". The pedals felt great up there, so hopefully they will still feel good when I get lower. I'll bet the steering wheel will appreciate the extra clearance when I have to wear a winter coat, too, which doesn't take much cold for me, especially when moving!

Quote:
I also got the driver's seat installed today. I used the one without the slider, and removed a bunch of extra bracketry to get the seat low enough to be normal and keep my head out of the bikini top.
Rule of thumb is three inches between your head and any structure above it. I'd be inclined to have at least three inches between my head and the bottom plane of the roll bar.

The ammeter should isolate either the alternator or the battery. I'd junk the ammeter and read voltage. If the volts are low, it's not charging. If the volts drop below 10 while cranking, the battery is usually junk.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
...Rule of thumb is three inches...
You got fat thumbs!

Getting any lower is just not feasible. The rear of the seat is now right above the rear floor. CJ5's were just not made for tall people. And this is an add-on rollbar. I think it's taller than stock.

I'm going to wire in a voltmeter today, as well as verify the ammeter is in the right place, or if it matters.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Other projects got in the way, as usual, but made good progress on the Ranchero today. I also got the Jeep around the block and then parked it in the driveway instead of the back yard.

It was very difficult to get it into first gear, and impossible to get into reverse.

My stepdad knew how to adjust the clutch, though, and that seemed to help a lot. Now I was able to more easily get it into first and also into reverse to back up and down the driveway. I can adjust it again after I get it warm and test it a bit more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0342.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	98448