Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Project Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7018
I have 4 drops in my shop,ran all my air lines with pvc pipe!! fast and easy,I've had no leaks in the ten years its been there!!!
Careful with compressed air in PVC pipe, when (not if) it explodes, the plastic will imbed into everything in its path. Here is a link with more info:

http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 07-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Banned

PVC air lines are a big bugaboo for all kinds of experts from the government to insurance carriers, and there are at least a million experts on the subject on the internet. In most instances, PVC air lines are a BAD idea, primarily because when pressurized, they offer the same opportunity for OUCH as a hand grenade with the pin pulled.
The worst part about PVC is that it doesn't show up well on Xray.
Having said all that, I've had PVC airlines in my basement shop for over 5 years, mainly cause I was too damn lazy to thread pipe, and didn't feel like soldering copper when I put the lines there. Since they are secured to the bottom of the floor, there is little danger of mechanicle injury to the line, and there damn well better not be any possibility of freeze damage in the basement.

In the shop, I have black iron lines, with 2 thermos bottle receivers so I could use 3/4 pipe instead of 1 1/2 pipe. The shop isn't always heated, and I've had black iron split from freezing.

The multiple receivers allow me to valve them on and off line depending on air use, and minimize compressor run time. It also allows the receivers to be mounted outside of the shop, and near the ceiling of the shop.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Karma Avenger

Having been in the motorcycle biz for the last 32 years I can say most of the shops that I've worked in had PVC lines in them. Never saw one blow. One shop had 195PSI line pressure for years until I got there. Couldn't figure out why my air tools were working so good until I put a pressure guage on the line. Finally got the owners to put a regulator in the line after it blew up two of my ratchets from the high pressure. One shop had OSHA come in and require metal shields over the PVC to ten feet up. That was about '97 as I remember. I guess their reasoning was over 10 ft off the ground the shrapnel wouldn't hurt you
Old 07-03-2004, 10:40 PM
King of Procrastinators

Aaron and friends

Check out the following website about piping for air compressors:

http://www.tptools.com/statictext/ai...ng-diagram.pdf and
http://www.tptools.com/statictext/air_consum.asp

I wouldn't urge you to use pvc as previously stated.

Grumpy
Old 07-04-2004, 02:58 AM

Here's a good reference link for copper tubing information that I found when I was installing my air lines. Should be titled "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Copper Tubing (and a whole lot more)". Here's another link if you want to download the whole manual in PDF format (7 MB).

Allen T.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to banzaitoyota

thermal receiver?
Old 07-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Harbor Freight Backslider

The "TP tools" PDF has a slight error. I agree that a Coalescing (motorguard type) filter should be used for a spraygun. But using it for air tools is a waste of resources. There should be an in line mist lubricator in the tap used to power an air tool. Keep your air hoses seperated, don't use an air hose that has been used with a lubricator for a plasma cutter, sand blaster or spraygun.
I agree "don't use PVC" I was in a shop where a PVC line blew. No one was injured, but plastic schards all over the shop. And A lot of Drawers needed changing, including mine
The "Magic Garage" being small. I have all my taps right on the compressor. I have a tap for "filtered" tank pressure air, filtered regulated pressure air, filtered regulated, and lubricated air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mg_air reg.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	360  

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?
Old 07-04-2004, 04:12 PM
King of Procrastinators

FlaJim. Agree about the lubricator for inline tools. Never thought about separate hoses 'cause I don't do any painting and don't have a plamsa cutter yet. Thanks for the advice.

Grumpy
Old 07-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Project Phoenix

If you have quick disconnect hoses, use different style connectors for the different types of air. That way you can't connect your paint / air / bead blast gun to the oiled air, and vice-versa.

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 07-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Project Phoenix

Fla Jim

What brand of filter/reg/oiler do you have?

And has anyone have experience with the HF brand of stuff?